The Blackberry Thread

That wraps it up. No word yet on US carriers and timing. UGGHHHHH!

That width is really almost a deal breaker for me. A device needs to be able to fit in my front pocket

Based on what I am reading, a lot of these reviews are missing features that were announced today like Blend (completed).

Looks like it can be purchased on blackberry's main website right now.

Looks like it can be purchased on blackberry's main website right now.

And that is unlocked. But I need carrier confirmation first. Bands 4 and 13 indicate VZW might work, but need to be sure.

Ahh I thought this one was going to be an off contract purchase. Just kidding then

Ahh I thought this one was going to be an off contract purchase. Just kidding then

I hope not. Neither GG nor I are under contract right now, so i could do anything. But no carriers outside of AT&T have even confirmed they will be carrying it.

This one shows off the keyboard stuff pretty well.

[video=youtube;KA3lYvf-FRQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA3lYvf-FRQ[/video]

It looks like it will basically be two handed only typing. If you are you use it to write long emails and documents I can see it being great, but it seems like it would not be very convenient to use for more casual applications. If you prefer to type with two hands, it seems like a godsend.

The touch keyboard is really cool, and makes it infinitely more usable since you don't have to reach over the keyboard to get to the screen, which was really annoying with the last physical keyboard I played with.

It looks like it will basically be two handed only typing. If you are you use it to write long emails and documents I can see it being great, but it seems like it would not be very convenient to use for more casual applications. If you prefer to type with two hands, it seems like a godsend.

The touch keyboard is really cool, and makes it infinitely more usable since you don't have to reach over the keyboard to get to the screen, which was really annoying with the last physical keyboard I played with.

Or any touch screen for that matter. Screen always clear is a good thing.
FWIW, I dont think it will be any harder than that of using the Note or iphone 6+ one handed. Big phones requre 2 hands, for me anyway. Sure I can type something out with one hand (can on this too I believe), but its a task.

Or any touch screen for that matter. Screen always clear is a good thing.
FWIW, I dont think it will be any harder than that of using the Note or iphone 6+ one handed. Big phones requre 2 hands, for me anyway. Sure I can type something out with one hand (can on this too I believe), but its a task.

I don't have much problem with anything but the Q on the note, but I think the added inch over will make a big deal on the Passport, but if you type with 2 hands anyway its obviously not a biggy.

Sold out on Blackberry and Amazon. I'm sure it comes back up later or hope.

Still need to figure out carrier thing.

It definitely is an interesting phone. I think they have a niche market when it comes to business.

I think without a CDMA radio it might be tough on VZW. I couldn't tell if voice over LTE was available and if it's not, voice (or data in non LTE areas) won't work.

http://gizmodo.com/blackberry-passport-review-when-the-best-isnt-good-eno-1638260392

Passport getting some mediocre reviews, despite all of its new features. Surprised to see the knocks on the OS and the App integration. Really surprised by the fact that that big of a battery is having issues with getting more than a day usage too.

So far its very good and mediocre for reviews. Does not surprise me with Gizmodo though.
Real world usage so far seems pretty fantastic for battery life however from the people I know with the device.

Being lazy and not looking it up. Does it still use the same encryption stuff?

Being lazy and not looking it up. Does it still use the same encryption stuff?
Yes. And since they switched to a Paratek antenna still have the best signal in the game too.

Waiting to hear from AT&T on when the release is. They have the exclusive (at least for now) and it appears this will not appear on VZW right away.

My buddy at work just got this phone a couple days ago and brought it over for me to check out. One thing that immediately struck me is that it felt really sturdy and well made. It was pretty heavy but I actually like that in a phone. That being said, I found its dimensions to be needlessly odd and, in my opinion, borderline ridiculous. I think the wide shape combined with the square, rather than rounded corners, would be a pain to get out of one's pocket. I've never really understood the attraction to physical keyboards either. I had a bb for a while as my work phone and didn't find it any faster to type on. The swiftkey keyboard I use on my galaxy is pretty efficient.

My buddy at work just got this phone a couple days ago and brought it over for me to check out. One thing that immediately struck me is that it felt really sturdy and well made. It was pretty heavy but I actually like that in a phone. That being said, I found its dimensions to be needlessly odd and, in my opinion, borderline ridiculous. I think the wide shape combined with the square, rather than rounded corners, would be a pain to get out of one's pocket. I've never really understood the attraction to physical keyboards either. I had a bb for a while as my work phone and didn't find it any faster to type on. The swiftkey keyboard I use on my galaxy is pretty efficient.

Good info. I think its what you are used to. One thing a physical keyboard does outside of making it easier to type for some, is frees up the screen. Using an on screen keyboard takes at least a third of the screen away for keys during typing where the physical keyboard eliminates that completely.

Back