Chronicles of a Canadian Swing

Just_Brad

#GD 2023Legacy #HYFY - JB says "Be a Brad"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Despite playing some of the best golf that I have played in years, my swing has become a shadow of what it once were.

Declining flexibility, an increasing waistline, and a preference for fairways over length has led to a swing that is probably quite a hodge podge of "don'ts".

I am hoping with some help from Freddie that I might be able to fix some flaws, solidify some consistency, and regain some distance.

Any advice you might be able to provide Freddie would be greatly appreciated.

Videos below are from a range session today where I just could not get "it" going. 8 iron distance was ~135 yds, Driver ~ 205 carry. I figure what better way to start, than with some videos that make me cringe.

Last edited:
Keep at it brother.

braddman first things first, in the future when your me not having a great range session, stop! Grab your putter and go roll some. Or go grab a wedge and chip a few. But do not sit there and continue to make the same move expecting different results. It build bad habits and just ruins your day.

Now on to that swing.

The club path from address to just about the hip looks great. And you make a really solid shoulder turn. But once the club starts to reach the right shoulder the swing begins to deteriorate.
You have, what seems like, zero weight transfer from left to right. It all seems to stay equal over both legs. As a result, you reach for more power and the back swing breaks down.
As your down swing begins you move in front of the ball almost immediately. This is one position most can't recover from. The club continues down but now it's behind you and stuck. You naturally release the club early, stand taller to creat space. The result is a fat shot that goes no wear. You also try to load on the down swing and your head drops a good bit. This further adds to the lack of space needed to swing the club.

I really think if you are able to transfer weight to your right side on the back swing, it will get you behind the ball. This way when you transition down into the ball you won't get out in front of the ball. This should allow you to swing through the ball freely as you will have maintained spine angle and not released the club early. The last two are by products of not getting behind the ball.

Don't swing harder or even deeper. Make the same move but just get behind the ball on the take away. TURN behind it, do not sway or slide. The same hold true for the down swing. TURN thru it do not slide or sway. Maintain spine angle and hold the angle of the club until the right hip and then release thru to your finish

You don't need fixin', the game does!

You don't need fixin', the game does!

Nah! I definitely need changes. I put too much of an emphasis on straight, and it definitely impacted the distance side of my game. Starting tonight, I have a bunch of drills, and an awful lot of work to do! Time to get my swing in order!

Freddie is spot on.
I used to have a swing like that.
Too long, spine tilt loss and the worst part - early release.
Keep at it and good luck.

Progress Report - Day #1

In hopes of really just concentrating on what Freddie was talking about, with developing a better weight shift, I broke out the net and mat at home. I looked up a couple drills for weight shift, hoping to see if I could find something that clicked for me. Oddly enough, it is like my body has forgotten how to make that proper shift.

A couple videos from today.

Still very clearly not good. I feel like whenever I force a shift, I get into either a reverse pivot situation, or I start swaying.

I am really hoping to get in for a lesson sometime next week now. Seeing my swing just irritates the heck out of me LOL.

I'm not sure what that dance was but it was entertaining :act-up:

the last video was pretty good, all except for the last swing. Make sure you swing to the inside of the right leg. Try folding your arms across your chest and just making a shoulder turn over you right leg. Keep the flex in those knees and bend in the waist. Then back to your finish. Do the a few times to get used to the feeling and then grab a club and do it!

Sit Rep: Day 13. Headed to the range tonight, wanting to get some swings in, and to build on some short game changes I had made (reinforced by one of Freddie's responses to another THPer this morning).

I have been putting in work on the drill Freddie had described, and thought at my league round on Monday that there were significant improvements. Driver distance was improved. Iron distance was improved, accuracy was improved as well. I felt loose. I felt like I was really getting through the ball, really able to extend through the ball, and get to a good finish of my swing.

Tonight was a different matter. I couldn't get loose. Felt really abbreviated in my follow through, but too long in the backswing. And just felt like I was taking a step backwards from Monday's progress.

Tonight's updates:
8 Iron

Driver Video #1

Driver Video #2

You are correct sir, your back swing was long. But your follow through is fine. Your tempo isn't bad and the sound I am hearing is pretty good. based on what I saw your best shot was the 2nd to last swing. The rest you lost to the right, correct?

You get behind the ball quite well. But you slide into the impact position and have to stand tall to create the space to swing the club. If you turn away from the ball, you should try to turn back through the ball.

The rest you lost to the right, correct?

A mix of snap hooks left, and my old standard fade. I find if I slow down the takeaway, I end up left, not totally sure why.

On course, if I end up shorter in the backswing, the results are much better. Like because I had only gone to a half or 3/4 swing, I really had to put emphasis on firing through the ball.

Thanks for all the help Freddie!

Back