Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What the heck is up with Putin? I'm really beginning to think he's got a Napoleon complex. He's beginning to restrict gas flow to some of the countries that rely on Russia and he's driving the prices up, the alignment with China and the formation of BRICS really makes me think this guy wants a war. Lots of threats coming from him lately

he's out of control.

Ole Mitt was dead right...And yet half the mainstream media crucified him when he said it.

I think Putin making this move at least partially because the lack of strong international opposition against him.

The "support" coming from NATO in support of the Ukrainian troops is laughable.

Our POTUS has shown anything but strong leadership and decisiveness in the world community. With that lack of leadership I believe Putin thinks his time is now. He envisions an old world USSR and is daring the world to stop him.

Welcome to the kindler gentler world. U.S. And U.K./EU aren't the global force they once were. Putin trying to restore Russia to world power and he knows that the chances of someone pushing back is limited. Obama thinks that when he says what the world should be that everyone will listen. When you have a lack of dominate military forces no one is scared and as we reduce our military arsenal more people become brave. Just like nuclear weapons, Obama has promised to reduce our arsenal to less than a thousand so if other countries have 1000 to our say 700 they know that if they attack the U.S. will likely not attack because we won't have enough to continue with counter attacks

I took a great course on Russian history in college. I think what many Western people miss is that the history, values and culture in Russia are very different and as a result, they are very different than us. We try to figure out their motives with the assumption that they care about the same things we do when they really don't.

Putin is a very strong leader whether you agree with his policies or not, but his country lacks the strength it possessed thirty years ago. He's definitely capitalized on some opportunities recently - probably more in image than anything tangible - but the USSR would have handled the Ukraine issue far more decisively than he has.

WW3 just started...Russia bought Pabst

Welcome to the kindler gentler world. U.S. And U.K./EU aren't the global force they once were. Putin trying to restore Russia to world power and he knows that the chances of someone pushing back is limited. Obama thinks that when he says what the world should be that everyone will listen. When you have a lack of dominate military forces no one is scared and as we reduce our military arsenal more people become brave. Just like nuclear weapons, Obama has promised to reduce our arsenal to less than a thousand so if other countries have 1000 to our say 700 they know that if they attack the U.S. will likely not attack because we won't have enough to continue with counter attacks

He knew exactly what would happen. Anyone who doesn't think so isn't paying attention to what's going on around them...

0.jpg

I suspect context comes into play here, just as did the last 'quote' he made.

He's probably right though. I have serious doubts at NATO's resolve to squash any moves in the former USSR states. The west essentially abandoned Kiev after (allegedly) formenting their 'revolution' and they'll probably lose half the country for it. Our stomach for saving Lithuanians at the expense of US, UK, German, etc lives is probably a lot smaller than Obama makes it sound. As nice as the Obama promise sounds, we do not have the same connection to those people and likely never will.

That said, World War III has been fought for decades via proxies and smaller confilicts and that still continues today. I don't see that changing, because the result would be far too devestating to the opposing sides. The ugly side effect of the new style of war is that it's fostered Islamic militancy in a number of countries, most of which we created ourselves and are now fighting. Or I guess helping after the last couple days in the Senate and House.

The Navy’s top Atlantic Submarine Force commander said Thursday that Russia and China’s ballistic missile submarine development will impact how the U.S deploys its fleet.

Navy Vice Adm. Michael Connor said global threats today are far more numerous and dispersed compared to the Cold War when the U.S. focused solely on Russia. Since the end of the Cold War, the U.S. has treated Russia more like a partner.

However, those goodwill feelings have changed since Russia has shown aggression in its recent conflict with Ukraine and instituted some tactics the U.S. hasn’t seen since the Cold War. Considering Russia’s significant nuclear arsenal, it has drawn the attention of the Navy’s nuclear submarine leaders.
Last week, Russia broadcast its intent to upgrade its submarine fleet when Russian officials released photos of two Akula II-class nuclear submarines being ferried to a shipyard to receive modernization upgrades.

[link to www.foxnews.com]

America is busy slowly tearing itself apart from the inside - it's easy to see why Putin gets bolder and bolder.

The water in the pot is getting warmer...... Soooooooo relaxing though.......

JM

America used to be like your Dad, "don't make me come up there and crack your arse", now we are more like your Aunt in birkenstocks who smells like brownies and hash.

What the heck is up with Putin? I'm really beginning to think he's got a Napoleon complex. He's beginning to restrict gas flow to some of the countries that rely on Russia and he's driving the prices up, the alignment with China and the formation of BRICS really makes me think this guy wants a war. Lots of threats coming from him lately

he's out of control.

Yeah, the only two countries from BRIC who have played their hand are Russia and China (and that hand is a return to "cold-war" ways). Brazil and India are still relative nobodies on the world scene.

The posturing of Russia and China right now is pretty strange.

Pretty strange or exactly what you'd expect when there is a power vacuum. I never for once doubted they would stray back to "their ways". Said this for years. After Putin got in, then out(likely only in name, not actual power), then in again you knew the aggressive stuff would start occurring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not as strange as you might think. Right now both countries' economies are in pretty rough shape, Russia's has been for quite some time when the oil market tanked. Leaders often turn to a healthy dose of nationalism when faced with domestic troubles.

It's much easier for any politician to play the game that they are facing an enemy/bad guy than to affirmatively be an advocate for particular policies. He's been playing the "West is evil" card forever, as a means of rallying Russians. Who knows, maybe he even believes it now. I think that's the first part. The second part is that some people only respond to strength. Call it the bully's mentality. I believe Obama is a bad counterpart to Putin. Whereas Obama tends to think everyone is equal, rational and can be reasoned with, Putin likely views Obama as weak, and sees that Obama's presence creates openings for him to act however he wants.

Back