Purchasing a putter

Any and all.

SeeMore deserves serious consideration as well.

Best putter for begginers? Scotty Cameron a good buy?

Um, not unless you have tons of cash to burn. Usually Scottys are very expensive, even used. Odyssey leads the tour in use and they have several options from uber premium to more standard fare and with so many models you can usually find a good deal on one.

Never Compromise and Yes are others I would take a gander at.

Lots of great putters. It really all comes down to what you like and what works for you. Try a bunch then decide. You could always do a putter fitting to help in your decision as well.

Wouldn't leave out Cure either. Especially beginning. I would look at Seemore, Cure and the new Cleveland line. All easier to line up IMO

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Go to a store and roll a bunch of different brands, shapes, sizes, inserts, milled faces and grips. I find when looking for a putter it comes down to the look of it at address and the sound/feel and gives me good distance control. Are Camerons good? It depends on what the user wants but I could say that about any brand.

Do you putt with an arch stroke or more of a straight back straight through stroke?

Try all putters you can putt with and pick the one you like. But better advise, get fit for your putter

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Any and all.

SeeMore deserves serious consideration as well.

This. They can go for ridiculously low amounts used too.

A putter is probably the most personal thing out there. I'd go to a store, putt with as many as you can, and buy the one that feels "right" to you.

Best putter for begginers? Scotty Cameron a good buy?

I love my Scotty but it won't make puts for you. I would start cheaper and go Scotty when you get better.

Just like anything you should try a few first. No putter regardless the price will guarantee you putts. Try a few and see what feels good. Doesn't Sneds golf with a $30 putter or something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can add Ping to the list. Upthread someone posed the question of what type of arc you have when putting. That's useful to know. I tend to have arc in my stroke and getting a putter that leans that way makes for better putting for me.

If you are just starting, I wouldn't sink a lot of $ into one putter though. If there is one thing that lends itself to experimentation it's putting and with that different putters. Once you get to know what you like and don't like in a putter and have refined a putting style then you might want to consider spending more $$ on a specific type of putter.

Another post urging to give SeeMore serious consideration. Built in alignment features that help instill proper setup and are very affordable, especially used.

Some putters are a serious investment in $ - Scotty Cameron being in that category. As a "beginner," you might still be in flux about your game, your club preferences, your swing, etc... My advice to anyone beginning this game would be to buy clubs that are reasonably priced (used may be a great option) and to use them until you are convinced that golf is a game for you (hooked?).

That being said - buy what you want and enjoy this great game.

I wouldn't jump on a Scotty just yet. If you feel it's a good buy, then go for it. BUT....you might be able to find a Odyssey Two Ball, SeeMore, or CURE putter for a good price and any of those would be a GREAT putter to start with.

Cleveland tfi 2135. Super easy alignment and a really decent price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The simple answer is find the putter that lets you start the ball on your intended line. Try every and all putters you can get your hands on and see what setup and putter configuration allows you to do this. You should test with various stroke lengths. If you can't start the ball online, you will never be able to learn to read greens or have good distance control.

Get 2 or 3 different style putters used on eBay for under $50 each and then decide what you like. Chances are you haven't had putting lessons yet so you probably don't even know what type of putter will be best.

There are fewer rules and standards when it comes to putting.
Use whatever works.
Get it in the hole and you are good to go.

I think putters are largely a personal choice. There are a few standard head shapes and some eccentric ones.

I would recommend trying out as many kinds as you can and narrowing it down to three inexpensive types. Refine your putting from there and upgrade to one you love and works for you.

My advice to new golfers ... getting some lessons ... practice ... then get fitted ...

I bought into the scotty thing early on ... it was my first lesson in "you can buy a game."

After learning my putting style, I went for a fitting and walked away with an Edel ... I simple love it, and I was the best $$ I spent.

I'll ask you a few questions: 1) do you wear glasses? Y/N --- Y: Progressives? Y/N --- Y: ditch them. they raise havoc on greens. 2) how old are you? fat putter grips are easier for older golfers.

I'd say go on Callawaypreowned Pick up a 2014 Odyssey Tank 2-ball. Pick your length from 34" to 40" - I'd go no more than 38" given the new putting rules if you're tall. Put a fat super stroke grip on it and you're good to go for around $100.

Then take a couple of putting lessons. Save your money. You don't need a Scotty Cameron or SeeMore right now.

Definitely can't go wrong with Cure as a first. Also look into Callaway 2 ball putters, very easy to align and roll

Cure putters look very good. I just took a look at their web site. $259 for the adjustable center shaft. If you get one definitely make sure you work with a pro afterward to make sure you get the thing adjusted correctly. If they were longer in length I'd pick up one. Putters are very personal.

Back