Purchasing a putter

I'll ask you a few questions: 1) do you wear glasses? Y/N --- Y: Progressives? Y/N --- Y: ditch them. they raise havoc on greens. 2) how old are you? fat putter grips are easier for older golfers.

I'd say go on Callawaypreowned Pick up a 2014 Odyssey Tank 2-ball. Pick your length from 34" to 40" - I'd go no more than 38" given the new putting rules if you're tall. Put a fat super stroke grip on it and you're good to go for around $100.

Then take a couple of putting lessons. Save your money. You don't need a Scotty Cameron or SeeMore right now.
This. There pre owned site has some really great deals on Oydessy putters.

You can add Ping to the list. Upthread someone posed the question of what type of arc you have when putting. That's useful to know. I tend to have arc in my stroke and getting a putter that leans that way makes for better putting for me.

What's crazy, I have a definite arch but seem to putt very well with a face balanced mallet.

This. There pre owned site has some really great deals on Oydessy putters.

This is the best bet for the money.
I have been playing the same 2 ball putter for 5 years and its great

+1 to heading to your local retailer, finding a model that fits your eye/stroke/etc and looking for one with a smaller price tag on line.

+1 to heading to your local retailer, finding a model that fits your eye/stroke/etc and looking for one with a smaller price tag on line.
Not going to lie, I really dislike that idea. If you're going to go to the local retailer, why not buy from them?

Not going to lie, I really dislike that idea. If you're going to go to the local retailer, why not buy from them?

Idk - I guess I'm always looking for a deal when it comes to my golf stuff. Lefty stuff is hard to find around here.

btw - by "local" I didn't mean mom and pop shops, I meant "geographically local" big box golf stores where the service is usually ****.

Idk - I guess I'm always looking for a deal when it comes to my golf stuff. Lefty stuff is hard to find around here.

btw - by "local" I didn't mean mom and pop shops, I meant "geographically local" big box golf stores where the service is usually ****.
I go to dicks and gg to roll putters and buy online without caring at all lol i like deals....sue me

I go to dicks and gg to roll putters and buy online without caring at all lol i like deals....sue me
You are a deal hunter.

You are a deal hunter.
I will say i like to support local business if possible, big box tho im not too concerned about.

I think the best putter ever made is the Ben Hogan 1415, but I guess I am a little bias, I have been using my putter since 1972....lol...only advice I can give you is try several different kinds and styles find one that has the right "feel" to it and stick with it...that is what I did in 1972...lol

Love my Piretti more than any other club I've played. And I've had 3 Scotty's, and a Private Reserve Seemore.

Simple answer, roll as many as you can, then make the purchase.

What's the best ever for one person won't be for the next.

As to the trying somewhere and buying elsewhere dialogue that came up in here, imo its just smart business.

For me to buy a putter it has to check two boxes. 1 - It needs to drain putts and 2. I need to emotionally love the look/sound/feel etc of it.

As for demo-ing in a store and buying elsewhere I don't have a problem with it. I support local retailers whenever it makes sense for me to do so but I'm not going to spend an extra $150 on a putter so that some corporate fat cat can light up another cigar. I spend enough in my local stores to do this with a clear conscience.

Back to the OP, don't just run out and buy a Scotty. Like many other manufacturers, they make fine putters. But there is nothing about the name or price tag that will make you make more putts with it. Here's the way I see it, in a nutshell:

Cure - super high MOI.
SeeMore - Tech that helps ensure you are positioned to the ball consistently
Cleveland 2135 - tech that eliminates the need to keep your eyes over the ball and keeps the ball true to your line
Everyone else - a lot of really good and diverse models that can meet a wide array of preferences

I would find your PGA SS or Golfsmith and roll as many as you can. Most expensive doesn't always equal the best putters for you. You might find a putter for $100 that works and saves you $$ in the process.

Use whatever you have right now till you know what you want - toe hang, mallet or blade, straight or plumber's neck, weight, milled or insert, etc

I am a huge fan of my Nike Method M5|12 putter.

Depending on how much you want to spend. Scotty Cameron is pricey but people pony up the money. I play Odyssey cause it's a reasonable price and I like the inserts. I'm not sure what type of putter you prefer but if you are interested in a White Hot RX putter from Odyssey (their newest line), I have one for sale in the Market place on this site.

Back