Planning The Perfect Event - Your Thoughts

In talking with guys from the last 2 here are some things that I picked up.

1) The Roger Cleveland on the range was absolutely incredible. Everyone seemed to love that, and why wouldn't you. If that turned out to be someone like Phil or one of the other tour staffers, I think those fellas would love that experience.

2) Some form of dinner or reception after it's done. Maybe it's just the feeling you don't want it to end, but reading and hearing that it seems like once that last put is dropped, it's kind of just shuttled back and over with.

3) Some form of video clips, even if posted after each day would be really cool to help people follow, who aren't able to be on the forum as it happens.

4) The fittings and having your clubs made for you right then and there is pretty awesome. Don't change that.

Just one quick note, there is a meal after the final round is over. I agree that with the chaotic travel nature it is done quickly and people are running around, but it is there. I would love to see at least a little speech done by the two captains after the event and a chance for THPers to say thanks one more time to both the hosts at the course and Team Callaway at that point.

As others have said....the event is already off the charts....but I love a lot of the suggestions folks have made.

I always love video and would love to see more of that, especially from the fittings and range sessions because I get to see reactions and opinions of everyone. Having a Callaway staffer or two would of course be incredible....and maybe add a contest or two to the rounds like 'closest to the pin' or 'long drive' etc. with little prizes like coins, head-covers or something like that.

Maybe Callaway Live #Grandaddy edition with JB and #TeamRedemption? Just throwing stuff out. It's hard to improve an already incredible event....but it seems that THP and Callaway always have something up their sleeves.

Just one quick note, there is a meal after the final round is over. I agree that with the chaotic travel nature it is done quickly and people are running around, but it is there. I would love to see at least a little speech done by the two captains after the event and a chance for THPers to say thanks one more time to both the hosts at the course and Team Callaway at that point.

Good to know. Perhaps it was how quickly and rushed things seem afterwords. Again I've never been to one, so I'm just going off of things I've read and heard.

In my opinion last years event was planned nearly perfect.

A couple ideas...

I know its probably because of time constraints, but I think it would be cool to have everyone start on 1 and finish on 18 on Singles day only. I really think that would add to the competition feeling. That way everyone gets to experience the first tee jitters and also the awesomeness of having a small gallery at 18

A real time scoreboard of the matches for the forum would be pretty cool

Man how do you make the perfect event better?

I do love the idea of the live scoring tracking and or video. Also the idea of having a tour pro there would be pretty special. Not really sure what else could be done to make the event even better than it already is.

From what I've read from last year's, getting "better" is a tricky proposition. I've talked to a number of people who have played in the previous events, and I can't say they've been left wanting for anything - that bar is set quite high.

For the folks following at home, I like the idea of a video recap at the end of the day, maybe with a few highlights (though I'm aware of what the overhead of video editing is, and everyone is busy). Sort of like what Dan and Dean did for the PGA show. Maybe have the captains sit down and talk and break things down?

I love the live scoring idea mentioned above - it'd be a fun little coding project, and I'd gladly volunteer to help out with that.

On second thought, I'm not ashamed to dream it...

Anthony Taranto custom wedges. Don't know how the heck that could happen, maybe just a THP scheme for all, but a guy can dream.

Maybe that's greedy, but its a dream.

Anthony Taranto custom wedges. Don't know how the heck that could happen, maybe just a THP scheme for all, but a guy can dream.

This was honestly the first thing that came to mind, but I figured it was a pipe dream due to time constraints.

What others have said -

It would be really cool if each foursome had a dedicated video coverage, updated live during the round. Then, the coverage would be more like TV coverage.

And surprises like Roger Cleveland at the fitting center - that is something that should be kept, whether it is a staffer or just Roger again.

I like the idea of a bathroom on the bus...

I think the addition of Roger Cleveland last year was amazing, When I played with CJ at Pinehurst, I swear he had a man crush on Mr Cleveland, and what is really cool, I watched CJ go in a bunker and say I got this because Roger showed me how to hit this, guess what hit a perfect sand shot right onto the green.

I hope he is back again this year.

As to improving the event, I cant think of anything off the top of my head to improve, I am sure some twists and teeks could be added but its hard improve on what the last 2 years have a had.

A guess an evening fishing tournament could be added :D

Taking something said earlier one step further. Captain JMan as the guest on #CallawayLive could really spark something.

Everything I've heard and read about this event makes me wonder how THP and/or Callaway could even consider a need to make it better. Meeting a PGA/LPGA staffer would be epic, but that is their downtime season so I get it. Besides the club building facility tour, is there any type of Callaway museum/hall of fame that's available to see?
Maybe a deep sea fishing charter with the ZooCrew , how cool would that be?!?

Go for it, brother. If you shoot for the stars and come up short, you might still get the moon.

If this event has a weakness, it's the unfair setup. THPers from around the country emerge from their frozen igloos in the middle of December and are flown to California, where they are thrown to the Zoo Crew wolves. Zoo Crew members play golf year round in gorgeous weather. Meanwhile, Bob from Ohiotopia has had his clubs in cold storage for 3 months at this point, and the best he can do is whack balls into a net in his 31 degree garage to prep.

For this reason, I believe the only fair solution is for THP to be represented exclusively by players from warm weather climates. Florida, for instance :angel:

Sounds like that is definitely something we should keep doing....

Man, this is hard. Having watched in amazement the last two, and seeing how it improved last time when I didn't think it possible, I can't think of anything yet I know it will happen.

I'm hot/cold on the Tour staff thing, to me it's all about THP and the zoo crew, but that's me.

I actually really look forward to the bus ride and the hilarity that will ensure there. Plus, I'm licensed to drove the bus if needed lol

I do though love the update idea and really keeping it rolling. More eyes on the forum and event is a good thing.

Seriously though, expenses paid, fitting, custom gear, swag, hanging out with insanely awesome people the whole time, seeing the inside of what goes on at Callaway, talking shop, learning, and then going to a course people dream of for an event they dream of? I'm at a loss to improve that.

Will be hard for you to drive the bus when you will be thrown under it a few times.

There's so much Callaway has gotten right, it's hard to really make suggestions because there's not much to improve on.

I do think two things though that may help them have the ability to fund their other ideas though would be to do a little tweaking to the car service and accommodations.

If people are getting to the airport at the same time, have them car pool opposed to separate vehicles if that wasn't the case prior. Getting there really late, I'm not sure if that happened already.

Hotel - Accomodations were fantastic last year. Awesome resort. 10 people, 10 rooms though? To every THP event I've been to minus LIITA, THP'ers are quick to bunk up with other people. I don't think people would have issues with that.

If it saved the company money on one end to then let other ridiculous stuff happen, it seems it could be a win-win. I can tell you though, the participants are clearly winning no matter what Callaway does, because this event is awesome every step of the way.

Oh.. Yes, bus with a bathroom.

I cannot really think of much to improve this.

The bus with a bathroom is a great idea.

I think some sort of custom wedge stamping from Anthony could be cool, but not sure if it is feasible.

The improvements made from 1 to 2 were pretty incredible, and I imagine they will outdo themselves even further in 3.

It's hard to make this better than it already is. Only way this would be better was if I got a chance to be in it :)

Seriously...only thing I can think of is better coverage/live scoreboard of some type. Like others said I wore the refresh button off of my browser last year following along. Also anything video is always good......

Improving on perfection?! Is that a thing nowadays?!

I honestly don't think anything can be improved with the event itself. The travel, the accommodations, the equipment, the courses and most importantly, the people are all fantastic.

Some of the logistics are ridiculous and were still nailed. Creating ten new bags of clubs and having them built and delivered within 14 hours is just super hero stuff. Would it be nice to have some more time on the range? Sure, but not at the price of playing those amazing courses less.

The only thing I would love to see is FULL coverage. JB and GG the first year, and Wardy last year did a fantastic job. Again it's a logistics hurdle, but can you imagine a dedicated volunteer for each group to provide live updates, Vines, pics and other tidbits of the groups happenings? With the member that is required at The Hideaway there is a seat open on a cart... Oh, and I volunteer! Anything to get a breakfast slider

Last edited:
Will be hard for you to drive the bus when you will be thrown under it a few times.

I like this guy. Seems quick with a jab, like me.

I'm with so many others, not sure how things can be improved. I'll leave it up to the Zoocrew and JB to figure that stuff out. The idea of a Pro coming out is nice, but I'm not sure how feasible that would be.

A word on the suggestions of a bus with a bathroom. While it could be a good thing to have, it may also be a bad thing to have. Just sayin'. :angry:

There's so much Callaway has gotten right, it's hard to really make suggestions because there's not much to improve on.

I do think two things though that may help them have the ability to fund their other ideas though would be to do a little tweaking to the car service and accommodations.

If people are getting to the airport at the same time, have them car pool opposed to separate vehicles if that wasn't the case prior. Getting there really late, I'm not sure if that happened already.

Hotel - Accomodations were fantastic last year. Awesome resort. 10 people, 10 rooms though? To every THP event I've been to minus LIITA, THP'ers are quick to bunk up with other people. I don't think people would have issues with that.

If it saved the company money on one end to then let other ridiculous stuff happen, it seems it could be a win-win. I can tell you though, the participants are clearly winning no matter what Callaway does, because this event is awesome every step of the way.

I agree on the hotel rooms. While its cool to have your own room I don't think it would be a big deal to share with one other guy.

On the air arrangements, it probably wont save any money I guess, and I know it doesn't always work with 2 guys in the same state, but CJ and I could have easily been on the same flight out and/or back. We left from the same airport at 2 completely different times. Also I flew into Dallas, thought maybe I'd be on connector with cookie. Not the case, he left an few hours later than me. Just seemed odd.

SHORTS!! Its hot out there! It could very well be part of the ZooCrew strategy, but black shirts on black pants is just crazy hot.

The only things I think could make the event even better are adding a real time scoreboard, show the fitting results for all the players (TM data and explanation of why x shaft was better than y shaft, etc), and adding a Callaway staff pro would be really awesome.

Well put buddy, Callaway just gets it and this event is a perfect example of that.

definitely more pant and sock talk in the threads leading up to the event. :alien:

Two words - Lydia Ko. How awesome would that be for her to give a little pep talk, or some swing advice to the THPers.

What's the Met Life blimp doing that weekend? Aerial coverage would be kick ***. Ok, that wasn't really serious but one can dream.

Back