Can't seem to stop fading with my driver (extreme fade) - Need help, Freddie.

Linkster@FM

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi Freddie - This is a new post, since I didn't want to hijack the last post with my videos about the extreme fade issue we were chatting about yesterday. So, here are a couple swings (DTL and FO) that I made a video of in my backyard (with practice balls, but I think you can see all the swing mechanics here). I really appreciate any insights on these swings. Thanks much!

Last edited:
I don't mean to hijack this but this was exactly what I was doing.
You are not far off from a great swing.

Just my opinion but your backswing starts flat then continues over the top.
This promotes an early release and swing plane issues.
You can see by the hand position in the downswing.

Additionally, you can see the path result.

Of course, Freddie may have another opinion.
Mine is to reverse the flat-to-steep backswing a bit and to start the swing first from the ground up.
This is what worked for me.
YMMV.
Good Luck.

I looked over your videos last night and was just too tired give this its due. But I am refreshed and ready to share.

you have a pretty good setup and a pretty good swing. I like the beginning of the back swing, a lot. But were you aware that your hands nver get above you right shoulder? Typically this leads to a low smoother hook but you have managed to produce a high, fade. The combination of the short swing, bad weight transfer (hanging on your back foot) and not releasing the club is producing this shot. If you just released the club, it would reduce the amount of right axis spin you are getting. You would hit more of a pull fade instead of a push slice.

Id like to see you get that swing get a bit more upright. This means the club travels less around you and more up once it reaches the right or rear hip. I am not talking about a drastic change but a bit less flat then you currently have. Combine this with a full release of the club. this may need to be manufactured early on but will become habit. the goal here is to close the club face at impact. A nuetral grip will help with this but I want you to get the feeling of turning that left hand at impact. You want to feel as though you are trying to hook it left. With your current swing path the idea of hooking it left will just take away that right axis spin. Make sense?

I looked over your videos last night and was just too tired give this its due. But I am refreshed and ready to share.

you have a pretty good setup and a pretty good swing. I like the beginning of the back swing, a lot. But were you aware that your hands nver get above you right shoulder? Typically this leads to a low smoother hook but you have managed to produce a high, fade. The combination of the short swing, bad weight transfer (hanging on your back foot) and not releasing the club is producing this shot. If you just released the club, it would reduce the amount of right axis spin you are getting. You would hit more of a pull fade instead of a push slice.

Id like to see you get that swing get a bit more upright. This means the club travels less around you and more up once it reaches the right or rear hip. I am not talking about a drastic change but a bit less flat then you currently have. Combine this with a full release of the club. this may need to be manufactured early on but will become habit. the goal here is to close the club face at impact. A nuetral grip will help with this but I want you to get the feeling of turning that left hand at impact. You want to feel as though you are trying to hook it left. With your current swing path the idea of hooking it left will just take away that right axis spin. Make sense?

Ah, I never thought about some of those options... I just kept trying to swing out to the right. I printed out your response and am going to take it to my practice time here today. Thanks much for the insights. Any ideas on the "how to release the club" at impact? does this mean a conscious effort to loosen the grip, maybe?

I don't mean to hijack this but this was exactly what I was doing.
You are not far off from a great swing.

Just my opinion but your backswing starts flat then continues over the top.
This promotes an early release and swing plane issues.
You can see by the hand position in the downswing.

Additionally, you can see the path result.

Of course, Freddie may have another opinion.
Mine is to reverse the flat-to-steep backswing a bit and to start the swing first from the ground up.
This is what worked for me.
YMMV.
Good Luck.

Thanks much... I'll take this under advisement with the options that Freddie mentioned. I appreciate all the great insights! Much thanks.

since i have the same issues, you may want to adjust to a stronger grip. Showing 2 knuckles.

Ah, I never thought about some of those options... I just kept trying to swing out to the right. I printed out your response and am going to take it to my practice time here today. Thanks much for the insights. Any ideas on the "how to release the club" at impact? does this mean a conscious effort to loosen the grip, maybe?

Try to bury the knuckles of the left hand into the turf. What this does is get the left hand to turn the toe of club at impact. Do it too soon and you'll hit smother hooks. Do it at impact and that fade becomes a nice little draw.

Try to bury the knuckles of the left hand into the turf. What this does is get the left hand to turn the toe of club at impact. Do it too soon and you'll hit smother hooks. Do it at impact and that fade becomes a nice little draw.

Thanks again, Freddie! I had my weekly golf league tonight, I spent some time before the round working on these concepts, especially steepening the AoA and getting the hands higher. This, along with getting my weight forward and knuckles to the turf made a HUGE difference. NO fades!!!!! Hitting the fairways and gained at least an extra 30-40 yards. I couldn't believe it! In fact, on the first couple holes.... I aimed way left like i usually do....and both of them went straight and left. Hmmm... Never saw that part of the course before .... Smiles. I know I have more work to do....but I am loving these changes. Oh, and my irons are more accurate. My team won the round before the storms came through.

i can't say thank you enough, Freddie, for your excellent insights and advice!!!! I really appreciate it. I wish I would have found THP sooner.

Where are you hitting to? Looks like you are going straight towards your house...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again, Freddie! I had my weekly golf league tonight, I spent some time before the round working on these concepts, especially steepening the AoA and getting the hands higher. This, along with getting my weight forward and knuckles to the turf made a HUGE difference. NO fades!!!!! Hitting the fairways and gained at least an extra 30-40 yards. I couldn't believe it! In fact, on the first couple holes.... I aimed way left like i usually do....and both of them went straight and left. Hmmm... Never saw that part of the course before .... Smiles. I know I have more work to do....but I am loving these changes. Oh, and my irons are more accurate. My team won the round before the storms came through.

i can't say thank you enough, Freddie, for your excellent insights and advice!!!! I really appreciate it. I wish I would have found THP sooner.

I'm glad to hear it. Keep at it and you'll see changes

Where are you hitting to? Looks like you are going straight towards your house...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Kevin. I use plastic practice balls from the back of my house toward the neighbors back yard. The balls usually drop at the fence line. However, with the new swing changes, I may have to move back a bit more to keep them on this side of the fence.

Back