How hard is your home course?

My home course, Ironbridge, is a pretty tough test. 73.7/137 from the tips at 7400 yards. The tees I play are 72.6/133 at 7000 yards. Most people get eaten up by it the first time or two they play it but it is a very scorable course if you can keep your ball in play. But thats the key. Miss by a little in the wrong spot and its penalty city.

The course has pretty distinct features from other parts of the course depending on what section you are playing so there isnt any particular theme that you can rely on to play the course 1-18.

The greens are fast and smooth with subtle breaks around the pin positions while being surrounded by larger undulations that make reading the greens tough but still a pleasure to putt on.

Overall, I think it is a super fun course that always throws a new twist at you and challenges you to keep the ball in play.

Very hard. Took a buddy out and on 18 green he looked at me and told me I was a masochist for being a member there. Just about every shot on the course has a hazard that comes into play, weather it being one to carry or one to avoid along the side of the hole, that can make for some high scores. I enjoy the challenge, makes golf seem "easy" when I travel to other courses.

Forgot to post ratings:
Gold - 75.1/148
Blue - 72/138
Member - 70.8/131

Last edited:
Do you think your course is hard?

From tee to green, not overly. The greens at my course are harder than most other places I play. They roll fast, and there's very subtle breaks all around. Approaches to many greens are guarded and/or require forced carry. There's also a couple of harsh false fronts to deal with.

Do your friends who come play struggle on it?

Same answer as question 1. They tend to struggle on and around the greens.

What is the rating and slope? Do you think that is an accurate portrayal of the course?

Scorecard attached below. I think it's fair. The back 9 is definitely the easier 9, but not so much that a bad front 9 won't wreck your score.

Do you normally score better or worse on other local courses?

Better, assuming an average ball striking day.

736c0a360d255ce60b300c05a7378188.jpg

From the tees I play:

Course where I am a member: 6577, 70.4/119
Course I play at weekly: 7053, 72.8/138

Both have some tricky holes, but the relative ratings between the two fit how I feel they play. I score similarly on each when playing well, but mistakes on the second course lead to greater scoring pain. Not sure how these compare in a larger context. FWIW, I regularly play with visitors or well traveled locals who feel both are on the challenging end.

Harder than some. Plenty of scoring opportunities though. From the blues it's 6600. There are some odd hole layouts though and a couple of tricked up greens as well as some risk/ reward holes with a forced carry.

The back nine always gives people more trouble to the tune of about 5 shots on average. And 18 can be a real pain unless you can eliminate most of the left to right off your drives.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I wouldn't call it hard, but it's not a wide open goat track either. The front 9 is more wide open, but plays a bit longer and you're more likely to hit a longer iron into the green if you're not in position A. The back 9 is tight and you can find yourself with a lot of chance to go OB on a few holes. Hard enough to keep it interesting, but not difficult by any means.

The league has some trouble with the back 9 - most of the trouble is on the right side, so slicers are punished.

What is the rating and slope? Do you think that is an accurate portrayal of the course?

70.8/123 from the blues (par 71). I think that's about right. That said, longer hitters can overpower the course, and be left with a lot of short irons into pretty receptive greens.

Some better, some worse, but more worse - there are other courses that are technically harder that I'll put together better rounds at because they suit my eye better.

71.2/135 from the Blues. My home course is interesting because of TONS of uneven lies. It tends to decimate newcomers if you're not prepared for it. You can be in the middle of the fairway with the ball way above or below your feet. Some of the fairways are really hard to hold because of slope. The course itself is not narrow but there is a decent amount of OB since it runs through a neighborhood. But the clincher is always the variety of uneven lies you'll get it. Many people don't practice or know how to handle that.

I guess I'd consider our league corse my home course, and it isn't very difficult. The first 2 nines rate at a stroke and a half below par, and the slope isn't too high. The challenge is in the greens which are very quick and severely sloped. I think the challenges the greens present transfer to harder courses easily.

Like most courses, pretty challenging when you play the back tees at 6995 yards. Their are 5 par 3's and 5 par 5's. The course is not super tight off the tees but it's hilly with lots of uneven lies. Course rating off the blacks is 73.6/133. My friends score worse here than the other courses they normally play, most because of the difficulty/slope of the greens, especially from above the hole.

Like most courses, pretty challenging when you play the back tees at 6995 yards. Their are 5 par 3's and 5 par 5's. The course is not super tight off the tees but it's hilly with lots of uneven lies. Course rating off the blacks is 73.6/133. My friends score worse here than the other courses they normally play, most because of the difficulty/slope of the greens, especially from above the hole.

I really enjoy courses with that layout, I wish it was done more.

I don't think my home course is that difficult, Whites: 69.9/125 @ 6262 yards, but like all courses once you learn their pitfalls you avoid them

My home course is 73.6/130 @ 6950 yards.
Greens putt true but are not very receptive, rough is rough. Traps are not well maintained and are true hazards.
The wind, the length are the course's main defense. There are some well placed water hazards but if you are golfing your ball should not come into play if playing the conservatively.

I find the course difficult and there are some holes that are probably bogies most days. It is close, reasonable priced & they are nice people.
When playing decently my handicap travels well.
Most people that play my course with me struggle.
460 yard par 4, 610 yard par 5 typically into the wind, 230 yard par 3..
This is not a driver/wedge golfer's course. Your are forced to come into greens from distance.

I would say my home track is above average for difficulty. 72.3/138 from the tips and I honestly think it might be harder than the rating (very demanding greens and more than half the tee shots have danger on both sides. Friends generally get their tail kicked when they visit - I see a lot of... :angry:

Home course is not hard at all. To be honest it is a very simple course that only screws people over by inspiring "hero" shots when you should just play smart. minimal amount of water and sand. mainly just straight. For the whole 18 there are only 5 that aren't just straight holes.

Do you think your course is hard? Do your friends who come play struggle on it?
Yes and yes. There are holes on each side that are really par 4.5 and 5.5s. Most of the so called easy holes have undulating fairways and greens to guard against the decreased distances.

What is the rating and slope?
White - 6287/70.6/126
Blue - 6682/72.6/130
Black - 7107/74.4/135

Do you think that is an accurate portrayal of the course?
I think it is harder than a 126 slope from white tees but maybe a touch easier than 130 slope from the Blues. I've never tried playing the course from the Black tees.

It varies but I know if I can play well at my home course I can pretty much play well anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a home course, but I do have a course that I like to play frequently. There is water involved on several of the holes and the bunkers are almost always in play. With that said I don't think that the course is overly hard, unless the wind is blowing. It's a Links style course and there is nothing but farmland around it. If the wind is blowing it can be downright brutal.
TeeYardageRatingSlope
Championship713274133
Back655071.6127
Middle607069.4125
Forward529469.9118
[h=2][/h]
course_scorecard.jpg

it's not MY home course because i'm not a member, but it's the course at which i logged the most rounds last year

Do you think your course is hard? yes. it's narrow, small greens, very difficult areas around the greens, requires shaping both directions
Do your friends who come play struggle on it? most people with whom i've played who are playing it for the first time struggle
What is the rating and slope? Do you think that is an accurate portrayal of the course? tips 72.1/127, back 70.8/124, middle 68.8/121, forward 66.4/116. i have no idea whether that's an accurate portrayal.
Do you normally score better or worse on other local courses? probably pretty similarly. i guess the biggest difference is that when i'm slightly off, my short game isn't good enough to scramble for par. that's not the case at all courses i have played.

Really easy, 69.8 I think with sub 120 slope. Normally plays 6300-6400Last years home course was really easy for me but some people struggle with the big greens and the lack of decent turf, the blues were 70.8/6600 and the tips which really didn't exist was 73.3/7191, In reality the tees they put out played around 71.8/6800 or so at

My home course is hard. From the tees I play, which are around 6600, the rating is 72.0/136. The fairways are very narrow, and if you miss them there are trees everywhere. The greens are also quite small and run very fast. It is a Willie Park design. Friends that come play it for the first time usually struggle, especially if you are wild off the tee. I generally score pretty similar at local courses because while they are usually a bit easier than my home course, I also know my home course so well that I usually play well on it.

I know your from Michigan, that rating is pretty tough. What is your home course?

0dc3d9aa26ba82a93e35dd524ba3bdea.jpg
a89c72496d76e7ec9925b94f0997e588.jpg

Doesn't get much easier then this. But it's 5 mins from home and I'm done before 10am. So it works.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Tees[/FONT][/FONT]​
Yardage
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] Men's Slope[/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] Men's Rating[/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] Ladies Slope[/FONT]​
Ladies Rating
Orange 7207 131 73.2

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] Purple[/FONT] 6891[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] 127[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] 71.8[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] Gold[/FONT] 6514[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] 122[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] 69.8[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] 135[/FONT] 75.5
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] Black[/FONT] 5579[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] 109[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] 65.3[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] 125[/FONT] 70.6
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] White[/FONT] 4490[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] 98[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] 61.0[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] 117[/FONT] 67.8

I usually play from the gold tees, which I think is pretty easy. A lot depends on the time of year.

Do you think your course is hard? No.
Do your friends who come play struggle on it? Yes, they usually get destroyed
What is the rating and slope? Do you think that is an accurate portrayal of the course? 72/137. I think the rating and slope are a touch high, but it depends on the rough length.
Do you normally score better or worse on other local courses? I score worse on every other local course typically.

Blue's are 73.2/136, tips are 76/142. Par 70 on our one track the other is friendlier, 71.4/134 from the Blues, 74.3/137 from the tips, Par 71

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think my course is hard.
I think my friends who play agree that it is tough.
I don't have the slope ratings in front of me (and they are outdated on the website), but I think the tips are 75.9/149.
I usually play better away from home. Not always, but usually.

Home course: Brook-Lea Country Club, Rochester, NY Scorecard: http://www.mybrooklea.com/golf-scorecard

I would call it sneaky hard. The design is not intimidating but if you get offline you may be in trees or deep rough. By far the toughest areas are the greens. They are undulating and fast and like any Donald Ross course, if you are above the hole you are pretty much dead.

It varies. Some have shot very well, some haven't. If they spray it around a bit it can get ugly.

I play the whites which are 6404 yards, 71.6 rating and 126 slope. Probably a bit above my ability level, but I keep up. Blues are 6838, 73.8 and 130. Truly an accurate portrayal.

I usually do worse. I am spoiled with the conditions at Brook-Lea and it takes me forever to adjust to the slower greens. By the time I do the round is shot.

Back