The Car Shopping Thread

A dealer up here that I've bought from in the past has a 2008 BMW 135i with only 45k miles. I currently drive a 2010 128i so I'm used to a 2 door sport-ish car.

The 135 has the m sport package which is a serious upgrade in ride and handling. I'd also upgrade to the 300hp I-6 engine.

I test drove it already. I want it and my wife said okay. I'm not willing to go into more debt to get it though so the dealer would have to seriously work with me. In my favor though they've had it for about 3 months and RWD cars don't sell here in Utah...

I have a 2011. The earlier dual turbo 135s had some intermittent problems, but they aren't the train wreck some folks like to call them. You can google it and read up on it.

Use the info as a negotiating tool. The M-Sport suspension is very stiff. If you live around potholed streets, be careful, those wheels and your teeth are expensive repairs. Worth it for sound of that engine though.

Good luck and enjoy.

Test drove the GTI, what a fun car. Had a grin on my face most of the time during the test drive. I am 4th or 5th on the list for Golf R's so eventually I will have one. Between waiting for this and the UST event, time is almost going backwards

Torn between a Touareg and a Q5.

Torn between a Touareg and a Q5.

Pretty large difference in usable space between the two.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah, the price point for the TDI model of each is extremely similar, and the Q7 just seems huge.

Yeah, the price point for the TDI model of each is extremely similar, and the Q7 just seems huge.

I agree. It appears the new Q7 will see a price jump as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Not trying to get my hopes up but there is a limestone grey Golf R in Texas that has not been sold. I called the dealer and am trying to see if I can either have it shipped or just pick it up when I'm in DFW for the shaft event. Never bought a car out of state so I'm a little concerned there. I called my dealer and they can try and trade for it.

Not trying to get my hopes up but there is a limestone grey Golf R in Texas that has not been sold. I called the dealer and am trying to see if I can either have it shipped or just pick it up when I'm in DFW for the shaft event. Never bought a car out of state so I'm a little concerned there. I called my dealer and they can try and trade for it.

that car looks awesome, hope you can land it. I miss my golf, even if it was only a regular 2.5l

Nighthawk, you can also try a broker. I use them for my leases sometimes. They find the car, negotiate the price and arrange delivery. Charge a small fee, usually save you money and a lot of hassle.

Good experiences with VIP leasing in NY. Fast with an answer and a quote.

They called back, wanted $2500 over MSRP for it. I thanked them for calling me back and said I can wait.

They called back, wanted $2500 over MSRP for it. I thanked them for calling me back and said I can wait.

Want and get are two separate things,

I love mine so if I miss out on the 135 it won't be too bad.

I think by 2012 they had all the kinks worked out like fuel pump and 3rd brake light issues.

I'd do some research on Bimmerfest/Bimmerpost 1 series forums and see what they think about a 2008 N54 135 and how they are holding up. I'd have some worries about the engine about to need walnut blasting and the warranty about to pop - you could always spring for the extended maintenance at least.

Also I think the M-sport for that year has the same suspension as the sport but different steering wheel/shifter/shadowline trim. The steering wheel/shifter are easy DIY's if you end up in a sport but want the m-sport goodies. (I did this on a 2011 E90 335 sport). The suspension could also be refreshed with new bits for a few grand as well.

here's a thread:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414111

I'd do some research on Bimmerfest/Bimmerpost 1 series forums and see what they think about a 2008 N54 135 and how they are holding up. I'd have some worries about the engine about to need walnut blasting and the warranty about to pop - you could always spring for the extended maintenance at least.

Also I think the M-sport for that year has the same suspension as the sport but different steering wheel/shifter/shadowline trim. The steering wheel/shifter are easy DIY's if you end up in a sport but want the m-sport goodies. (I did this on a 2011 E90 335 sport). The suspension could also be refreshed with new bits for a few grand as well.

here's a thread:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414111

Thanks.

I read a ton on there about different cars and models. This would be my 4th BMW and my family's 6th.

I've torn them apart and done all of my own maintenance on every one of them. Vanos seals, head cover gaskets, fuel filters, CCV stuff. I love them.

Known problems on the n54 are fuel pump (BMW extended the warranty on them to 120k miles because of all the problems) and over heating (which basically plagued the 3 series more than the 1 series.)

There's also the stupid 3rd brake light that cracks and falls out. I've replaced it on mine already.

The M Sport also changed the wheels to my knowledge. I believe you're right that the suspension wasn't touched from a sport model but either is far better than my current suspension which BMW screwed up. (Run flat tires rode too rough so BMW softened the suspension parts all over. Bad idea IMO. I love the rough, stiff ride of a BMW.)

Sorry about the book I just wrote. I just got thinking and typing...

In serious ponder mode for a Volvo S60 to go with our XC90

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to buy a new truck, so here are my front runners. Any insight anyone has would extra awexome. All are listed between 7-8k.

The contenders.

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 126k mi. Perfect cosmetically, super sharp, and great miles for the year.

2007 Jeep Liberty Sport. Another looker, sick black rims on white w/ black trim, 125k mi. Been driven much harder than the other Jeep, so that's a worry.

2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS. Another great lookin truck. 118k and good reliability for the model but has a rep for sensor and electrical issues. Miles are good but the second owner averaged 16k over 7 years.

Any thoughts or ideas for other similar makes/ models?

Anyone here that has some history with Jeeps? Specifically the Wrangler. Thinking about purchasing a used one, target budget is 10k.

Not picky on model year but would like to stay near/under 100k miles.

Won't be used off road much, will be a daily driver (15 miles each way) and just a fun vehicle.

Needs to be able to transport golf clubs obviously.

Maybe not the smartest idea but I got the itch.

Need a commuter car, my current Honda is over 225k and starting to get tired. A family friend has a 98 Volvo s70 that just ticked over 100k, new tires, alignment and tune up. Asking $2k. Going to check it out today.

Anyone here that has some history with Jeeps? Specifically the Wrangler. Thinking about purchasing a used one, target budget is 10k.

Won't be used off road much, will be a daily driver (15 miles each way) and just a fun vehicle.

We had a Jeep for a few years. Ours wasn't a daily driver, but they are fun to drive. The best thing about then is how well they hold their value. We had ours fir for years and sold it for $500 less than weekday we paid for it.

I had the electrician here yesterday to install the 100 amp charger in the garage so we are all set for my wife's Tesla arrival next Friday. This wall charger gives 58 miles of range for each hour of charge so I'm not anticipating any issues with having to modify our driving by going electric. She had another slow commute coming home from work on Thursday and being able to use the HOV lane will be reducing her commute time by 2-3 hours each week. Can't wait to put it through it's paces - I'll be taking next Friday off so I can take it for a long fast drive.

We had a Jeep for a few years. Ours wasn't a daily driver, but they are fun to drive. The best thing about then is how well they hold their value. We had ours fir for years and sold it for $500 less than weekday we paid for it.
It's insane how well they hold their value, especially since their is a 50% shot it's been abused.

I had the electrician here yesterday to install the 100 amp charger in the garage so we are all set for my wife's Tesla arrival next Friday. She had another slow commute coming home from work on Thursday and being able to use the HOV lane will be reducing her commute time by 2-3 hours each week. Can't wait to put it through it's paces - I'll be taking next Friday off so I can take it for a long fast drive.

You will love it. Every time I have driven one it has been an amazing experience, and their customer service is insanely awesome. I now have three friends working for them and they all love it

You will love it. Every time I have driven one it has been an amazing experience, and their customer service is insanely awesome. I now have three friends working for them and they all love it

A buddy of mine has a Tesla and loves it. A bunch of my wife's'so co-wokers have them and they all rave about them. There are dozens of charging stations at her work with more being installed so that shouldn't be an issue either. We have a super charger 10 miles from our house that is right on our way into town. 20 minutes on the Super Charger gives you 150 miles of range and the best part is it's free.

Last edited:
Yep as employees they all have cars and charging stations at their houses free of charge (cars aren't technically there's, but they drive them daily to and from work.) the super chargers are incredible

Yep as employees they all have cars and charging stations at their houses free of charge (cars aren't technically there's, but they drive them daily to and from work.) the super chargers are incredible

The math on charging the battery works out to $9 for a rated 295 mile range. I don't know if we will actually get 295 miles but with her charging it at work half the time I don't see us spending more than $40 for the 2,000 miles she drives each month. 2 cents a mile is pretty darn cheap.

I would definitely have the under carriage/axels looked at. Sometimes those things get put through the ringer off road and people don't think to look there first.

Maintenance wise it's pretty cheap. A buddy had one in Denver and the worse part was the gas. It drinks it up (even for a 6cyl) and oil changes and such were pretty routine. He was happy with it, but became impractical as a daily driver, but with you and no kids it would be perfect. And golf clubs fit nicely!

Back