The Movie Review Thread

Whiplash: Far and away the best movie I've seen all year. Now in my Top 5 movies of all time list. It's THAT good. Watch it if you haven't.
About to watch it!

Watched St. Vincent with Bill Murray, pretty solid film. Had a good mix of comedy and serious subject matter.

Cinderella was very well done. Classic Disney fans should enjoy it. I think Walt would approve. Took my wife to see it last night and she loved it.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

Not a new movie, but I just watched: From the Rough. It's about Tennessee State University and their first golf program. A couple things about this movie. These actors could't golf. That includes putting. They were also average to sub par actors. This kind of ruined the movie for me. There has to be actors out there that can golf a little, and I wish they would of cast someone with half a swing. Also why do movies use a driver sound for every shot. If I wasn't a golfer I think I would of enjoyed it but I just couldn't get into how bad the golfing scenes were.
TL;DR Cast people that can golf in golf movies.

Just watched Top 5. Was pretty funny.

Just watched Wolf of Wall Street. Although it was mighty long, I'll be watching it again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foxcatcher
Supurb acting. Money doesn't buy happiness. Depressing story. Very slow and dry pacing to the movie itself. Prepare to be non-rivited.

Last edited:
Fury - not as good as hoped. A little slow and the final battle was completely unrealistic so it lost a little for me...

Foxcatcher
Supurb acting. Money doesn't buy happiness. Depressing story. Very slow and dry pacing to the movie itself. Prepare to be non-rivited.

Steve Carrell was amazing.

We saw Foxcatcher recently. It was an atypical American movie - no gratuitous action, sex or plot twists to help the viewer along. Just a solid drama with plenty of scenes that provide depth and insight to the characters. It was good but you have to be in the mood for that type of experience.

Last edited:
Off to watch the pre showing of The Divergent series: insurgent tonight. The trailer looks good hope it is worth the time

Off to watch the pre showing of The Divergent series: insurgent tonight. The trailer looks good hope it is worth the time

First one was surprisingly not bad. Wife likes the books.

I enjoyed the first divergent

Whiplash: Far and away the best movie I've seen all year. Now in my Top 5 movies of all time list. It's THAT good. Watch it if you haven't.

About to watch it!
Forgot to follow up on this. This was a solid movie. Pretty intense just from the acting, in a good way. Definitely recommend.

Watched "The Imitation Game" on Wednesday night. I really enjoyed this one. Well acted. Cumberbatch and Knightly are excellent. Tells the story of cracking Enigma very well though there are several historical liberties taken by the Director. Many of them I understand as a way to keep the story focused and moving. They do portray Professor Turning as having Asperger like symptoms and being hard to work when most of his actual colleagues from the war report that he was easy to work with, though could be odd at times. He was definitely not as socially awkward as portrayed in the film. Those are minor though, because the true point of the film is showing how horrific Turning was treated for being a Homosexual in the early 1950's. A true war hero that no one knew about was court ordered to be chemically castrated.

Watched Gone Girl with the Mrs. Never been more horrified. She likes those movies and those shows on Lifetime like, "I almost got away with it" and other eerie titled things.

Watched Gone Girl with the Mrs. Never been more horrified. She likes those movies and those shows on Lifetime like, "I almost got away with it" and other eerie titled things.

I watched that movie on my way to and back from Vegas. After watching I decided I am going to never do anything my wife doesnt like ever again.

I watched that movie on my way to and back from Vegas. After watching I decided I am going to never do anything my wife doesnt like ever again.

For real.. I think the front alcove of the house needed a little pressure washing. Might do that in the AM

Watched The November Man last night.

The plot was a little campy, but it was pretty solid for a Saturday night action flick.

Watched The November Man last night.

The plot was a little campy, but it was pretty solid for a Saturday night action flick.
+1

Felt more like a late 90's flick but enjoyable just the same. Resonates with some younger guys too it seems, my son told me he and his college roommate really liked it.

The reviews for Mad Max: Fury Road are off the charts. 99% on Rotten Tomatoes. I need to see this film, me thinks.

Saw Avengers 2 last week. Was entertaining. Spader's voice work was epic. Thought the first Avengers was a little better though overall.

probably 10 days removed, but the last movie i watched worth mentioning was "blue is the warmest color." a french film about a young girl exploring her sexuality, and finding the type of love we all hope for. sounds a little pervy (and definitely received its share of criticism), but netflix kept recommending it because of all the awards it received. i thought it was a wonderful movie. the scenes (and if you watch it, you'll know which ones) were excessive, but the movie's themes and stellar acting performances outpaced the gratuity. if you like foreign films and are looking for a different take on "true love" and "self discovery," i'd recommend this. but if you watch it with your significant other and she is more june cleaver than joan rivers, keep the remote in-hand with your finger poised over the fast-forward button...

The reviews for Mad Max: Fury Road are off the charts. 99% on Rotten Tomatoes. I need to see this film, me thinks.

Saw Avengers 2 last week. Was entertaining. Spader's voice work was epic. Thought the first Avengers was a little better though overall.

Need to see both of these. I've heard amazing things about Fury Road.

It has a limited release in theaters, but I was able to rent Maggie on my PS4. Huge Arnold fan, was excited to see this because it is something completely different from him. I read some great reviews and knew it was just a drama going in. Even though its a zombie movie there isn't anything scary about it, it definitely a full on drama. Its basically a movie about a parent who has a child diagnosed with a terminal disease, that disease just happens to be "turning into a zombie." As time goes on and she starts to fully change he has to decide whether to kill her himself (quickly, no suffering) or turn her into quarantine where they euthanize them but its very painful and slow.

While I was excited and I can see why drama fans might love it, I guess I'm just not a drama person. It moved WAYYYYY too slow for me. My wife and I were bored. I'd give it 2 out of 5 stars just because it had Arnold and he actually did a good job acting in a drama movie. Other than that there wasn't anything great about it.

Back