The Car Shopping Thread

I run Cooper Zeon LTZ on my truck for all-season and they are all show-no go.
Once they wear a bit they get noisy and they aren't anything special in the rain.
Yeah the truck boards went nuts when those were released, they look sick. But the performance didn't match up.

I had STTs on my truck and I was pleased.

Not on the market for either one at this point, but had a fun day of driving yesterday. The owner has business customers and he personally goes and picks up their cars for service. The owner and I get along really well and he asked me if I wanted to go pick a couple up yesterday because he thought I'd have fun. First trip: 2015 Corvette Stingray. Second trip: 2014 ZL1 Camaro. Man were those suckers fun to drive. I think once I get closer to retirement I'd like to own a Vette, but right now just not practical for me. I'll stick with my truck.

My dad was at the New York International Auto sow yesterday looking at cars. I know he was interested in the Golf R (he made it clear when my parents visit that he wanted to test drive mine) as well but I thought nothing of it since I thought he loved his mustang. This morning he was asking me weirdly specific questions turns out he's test driving a GTI and plans on ordering an R on Friday. The only thing is he is not allowed to get the same color as me.

My dad was at the New York International Auto sow yesterday looking at cars. I know he was interested in the Golf R (he made it clear when my parents visit that he wanted to test drive mine) as well but I thought nothing of it since I thought he loved his mustang. This morning he was asking me weirdly specific questions turns out he's test driving a GTI and plans on ordering an R on Friday. The only thing is he is not allowed to get the same color as me.

Nice! How are you liking your R so far (assuming you have it now)? I read yesterday that Audi has confirmed the RS3 is coming to North America. That would be an unbelievably fun ride!!!

Nice! How are you liking your R so far (assuming you have it now)? I read yesterday that Audi has confirmed the RS3 is coming to North America. That would be an unbelievably fun ride!!!

I absolutely love it. Its really comfortable to drive, I've done a couple three hour stints and have had no problem driving more if I had to. The DCC is great, I've kept it mostly in race mode. The DSG shifts very fast. Launch mode is like a punch to the chest. The car is also a lot faster than I ever thought it would be, handles turns at high speed really well too. I could go on and on but you get the idea.

I heard about the RS3, it would be fun to drive but the price is going to be insane on it.

New 2015 F150 Lariat FX4.
69212e6ac3d0a8f3de3f4db84347e25a.jpg
67e8fca5e7ddacc526ab50e7b2ec061a.jpg

I love the truck and the paint!! I've been in sales to the auto body repair industry for the last 18 years and I have a keen eye for automotive paint. Very sharp!

New 2015 F150 Lariat FX4.
69212e6ac3d0a8f3de3f4db84347e25a.jpg
67e8fca5e7ddacc526ab50e7b2ec061a.jpg
Being the Finance Manager at a Ford store, let me just say....NICE!
My Mom and Dad just bought a 2015 Supercrew Platinum F-150 totally loaded, but of course I got them family pricing....so that helped, too.

Thanks! Just pulled my bass boat to the lake with it and averaged 14.7. Can't complain there.

I hope your boat weighs a ton or have a serious lead foot to get 14.7mpg

Seems terrible to me in 2015 those numbers look like they should be from 20yrs ago or a 3/4 gasser

Seems terrible to me in 2015 those numbers look like they should be from 20yrs ago or a 3/4 gasser

While towing? I think the 20 year old truck would be in the single digits while towing.

Per government ratings gave a 95 f150 5.0l with 4speed a combined rating of 14mpg, even if it got 9 towing 5.7 mpg difference with a fuel injected 5sp plus OD doesn't seem like much of a gain

Per government ratings gave a 95 f150 5.0l with 4speed a combined rating of 14mpg, even if it got 9 towing 5.7 mpg difference with a fuel injected 5sp plus OD doesn't seem like much of a gain

That would be a 50% gain. Seems hefty to me.

That would be a 50% gain. Seems hefty to me.

Still doesn't seem right to me that that's acceptable in this day. Actually most vehicles fuel mileage I think is a crock with the "tech gains", but that'd require us to quit jacking up HP and Torque every yr.

Still doesn't seem right to me that that's acceptable in this day. Actually most vehicles fuel mileage I think is a crock with the "tech gains", but that'd require us to quit jacking up HP and Torque every yr.

Well that would really suck

Well that would really suck

For the fun aspect sure, but for fuel economy it makes perfect sense and most of the power in vehicles is untapped and unused just burning more fuel than is necessary.

I don't have a lead foot and my boat, motor and trailer weighs 3500lbs or so. This is by far the best fuel economy I've seen out of a truck towing it so far. My last truck (2008 Silverado w/ 5.3) got 11 something towing it. I have to assume you don't do a lot of towing.

I don't have a lead foot and my boat, motor and trailer weighs 3500lbs or so. This is by far the best fuel economy I've seen out of a truck towing it so far. My last truck (2008 Silverado w/ 5.3) got 11 something towing it. I have to assume you don't do a lot of towing.

I drive a 3/4 diesel so I don't have to worry about it pretty much same as long as I drive sensible. I also drive big trucks part time worse fuel mileage loaded or not.

Also used to run my dads 5.3l 2wd Chevy back and forth to the lake and don't ever remember that low of fuel mileage. Maybe I'm just used to running trucks that regardless are pretty much the same mileage wise.

Thanks! Just pulled my bass boat to the lake with it and averaged 14.7. Can't complain there.

I hope your boat weighs a ton or have a serious lead foot to get 14.7mpg

My Wrangler gets 14.5 mpg on winter blend gas when it gets below freezing temperatures up here in NY. Then I can go down to Tennessee in the same freezing temperatures and average 20.5 mpg. Maybe you don't realize just how little it takes to knock mpg's off of a vehicle. Those (15.whatever mpg) numbers are really good for towing anything. Much less a boat of any type of substantial size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking for more guidance. Have my eyes on a 2004 Toyota 4Runner with 151k miles. Price is trending on the lower side of the spectrum at 8k with the KBB value range at $7500 - $9900.

As someone that is far from a mechanic (or even capable of doing much on a car), what am I on the lookout for during an inspection & test drive? Car is accident free, title is clear and odometer has been verified accurate. Here are some notes from the seller (dealer):

Books and records, strong 4.0 L 6 CYL engine with automatic transmission. Serviced, inspected, detailed, and ready to show. Services done by us included a new right front ball joint, new left/right front hub bearings, new left/right tail lights, 2 new front tires, and a fresh oil/filter change.

Looking for more guidance. Have my eyes on a 2004 Toyota 4Runner with 151k miles. Price is trending on the lower side of the spectrum at 8k with the KBB value range at $7500 - $9900.

As someone that is far from a mechanic (or even capable of doing much on a car), what am I on the lookout for during an inspection & test drive? Car is accident free, title is clear and odometer has been verified accurate. Here are some notes from the seller (dealer):

Books and records, strong 4.0 L 6 CYL engine with automatic transmission. Serviced, inspected, detailed, and ready to show. Services done by us included a new right front ball joint, new left/right front hub bearings, new left/right tail lights, 2 new front tires, and a fresh oil/filter change.

Cookie, that era of Tacomas have had a frame recall, check to see if they share the same frame. The good news is, the recall will get you a completely new frame if any rust is found in the original. A guy I work with is having his 2002 Tacoma done right now. He also got rear leaf springs and shackles from a recall. Otherwise, that truck is pretty much bullet proof.

I am driving up to get my new '15 Subaru Outback tomorrow. Very excited it is finally here.

I've never bought a car that I had to wait more than a couple of days for the dealer to acquire the desired color before, but the last three weeks have been pretty brutal from a patience perspective. I'm pretty amazed at how 7-8 months into the model year, dealerships cannot keep these in stock at all.

Back