Any dangers w/ clubs playing in cold weather?

Six4three5

Tour Star...Layin' Up!
Reaction score
Handicap
2.5 GHIN
I did a quick search, but couldn't really find what I was looking for. I remember back in high school and college when I played baseball I always had my "good" bat that I only used when it was 65* or warmer, and my cold weather bad that I didn't really care if it got dented up.

It got me thinking about my clubs, especially the driver. With the cooler temps coming into the NE it can often times be 40-45 degrees when teeing off in the morning. Is there any danger to possibly damaging the driver playing in temps this cool? I got to thinking about how thin driver faces are nowadays and I couldn't help but wonder if there is a danger to playing in the cold temps. Has any had any experieces with damage caused by playing in cold weather?

None that I'm aware of Jimmy but I wouldn't leave my clubs in the car overnight then play when they are that cold.

Unsure what temperature it would have to be to truly impact them.

I've often thought about this and look forward to hearing the answers form people that know more than I do.

I play all through winter and on mornings where the ground is ice and air temp is still below freezing and have never had any issues.

I play all through winter and on mornings where the ground is ice and air temp is still below freezing and have never had any issues.

I've played in all types of cold weather and even left my clubs in the trunk for weeks at a time during the winter and I've never had any issues. Keeping the golf balls as warm as possible is the key (or at least where I've noticed a difference).

As a Chemical Engineering with experience teaching Materials, you will not hurt your clubs playing the cold. The Tensile strengths of the club head and the shaft will not permanently deform in any manner in typical cold conditions in North America. Now your hands - well that's another story.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Just something I've been thinking about lately as the morning rounds are getting cooler and cooler every time out. Also remembering have 2 bats specifically for weather temps, just often wondering if the face would ever dent.

Nah, we're getting into scramble season here and we've played those in temps well below freezing. Can't recall a club being damaged by the cold. Even when the ground's simply frozen, haven't noticed any damage or deformation from it. It can be a bear to get a tee in the ground, though.

Good question Jimmy, something that we obviously overlook year in and year out. Hoping wubears is right, thats for sure

Thanks for the responses everyone. Just something I've been thinking about lately as the morning rounds are getting cooler and cooler every time out. Also remembering have 2 bats specifically for weather temps, just often wondering if the face would ever dent.

I wonder if those bats were ones with the "liquid" layer in them.

I wonder if those bats were ones with the "liquid" layer in them.

Yeah it's definitely possible.

I just knew this was my baby and never came out below 65*

juny2y6u.jpg

And this was the colder weather bat. It definitely took a beating as it had a few dents in it. Easton got sick of replacing it for me I bet lol.

epu7eny4.jpg

I've played in -15* C and I've never damaged my equipment. Lie angles on forged irons can sure take a beating when the ground is frozen so get those readjusted in the Spring.

don't lie, we all know the purpose of this thread was to seek support so you can get yourself a "winter set" of new clubs :p

don't lie, we all know the purpose of this thread was to seek support so you can get yourself a "winter set" of new clubs :p

Hahaha I already have 3 full sets of irons and 2 sets of entire clubs...

My club fitter told me that when it gets below freezing there is sometimes an issue with the glue and irons can get damaged, he also mentions that some of the "hot faces" because the metal is so thin could also get damaged. He claims he does a lot of repairs in the winter.....take that for what is worth, I play in the winter and have yet to damage/break anything

Geographically speaking I think I am the furthest north member of this site and the only danger I know of is hitting it thin and not being able to feel your hands for the next two holes.

I've played in quite a bit of cold weather growing up in Minnesota/Wisconsin and never had any issues damaging equipment. I would recommend getting a Zippo hand warmer to keep your hands warm. Just don't use it to heat up golf balls as that is a breach of the rules.

I plan on playing outside this year until we are buried in snow. I certainly plan on putting my clubs to the test. In years past, I wouldn't play in temps under 40°, but this year, that is out.

I usually have my clubs in the trunk during winter and go to the range at -30C and never had a problem.

It was mentioned earlier, but I don't leave my clubs in my car, that goes for hot/cold temps - I will play in the high 90s-100s and I also play when it's below 40°, I played one time below 30° and the clubs held up but it wasn't too fun... won't be doing that again.

Back