Optimal launch and spin conditions for 3wood!

Clarkey

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi

As above says what are the optimal numbers for a 3 wood! I was testing some 3 woods today on a gc2 and wasn't really sure what to look for!

Today I was testing a mizuno jpx 850 at 15* with speeder vc 6.3 tour spec in x that I won in a comp against my
Cleveland classic xl your 14* with miyazaki kusala blue 72x

Mizuno was Aprox

Ss 104-108
Spin was around 3300 -3700
Not sure on Launch maybe 9-11

Carry 240 - 250 ish if memory is correct!

Classic was launching lower for sure Around 9 the whole time
Ss was about the same
Spin was less some getting down to 2500 carrying 235 but had one rolling out to nearly 280

I have had the kusala pulled and a mizuno tip added which I will try hoping for mizuno launch and cleveland type spin? Is this ideal?
What are the optimal numbers for my ss etc?

Any info would be great!

Ryan

It depends.

If you're looking at a club to hit off the tee, I suppose you can lean towards less spin, but in reality I'd say the Mizuno numbers are much closer to optimal. Unless for some reason you need a low, running ball. You have little chance of controlling it into a green though, but maybe that's not a concern for you. It wouldn't be for me.

To be honest I'm looking for the best of both! The cleveland is a beast off the tee but tricky to hit off the deck!

I'm looking for a 3 wood that I can hit and stick greens on par5s but also good off the tee for shorter/tighter par4s!

Iv put he miyazaki in the mizuno to see if I can get the best of both!

Anyone compare the speeder vc6.3 tour spec x to the miyazaki kusala blue 72x

I will hopefully get in a monitor this week!

Yea, you're not going to stick many greens at 9°/2500rpm. Might roll one up on there of course, but it's not going to be a hit and stop type of shot unless the green is a swamp.

I played a few holes last night and used the mizuno miyazaki combo off the tee on most holes and also into so par 5s!

I think I have found a winner! Much tighter dispersion then the speeder! To the eye I can see similar high launch and less of a balloon!

I think iv found a winning combo here!

Glad to hear it Clarkey.

Back