Is Nike copying Puma

UVaWahoo

Reaction score
Handicap
I don't remember exactly which day is was, perhaps Saturday, I thought I saw McIlroy wearing some Nike pants that had elastic around its bottoms along with some high top shoes. It seemed to be Nike's version of the Puma attire worn by Fowler. Perhaps, these two apparel companies think this look may appeal to the younger folks and are reacting accordingly. Not something an old coot like myself will wear, but I can understand perhaps an attraction by the younger set. But then I am an old baseball guy that still does not understand the pants to the shoes look.

I don't remember exactly which day is was, perhaps Saturday, I thought I saw McIlroy wearing some Nike pants that had elastic around its bottoms along with some high top shoes. It seemed to be Nike's version of the Puma attire worn by Fowler. Perhaps, these two apparel companies think this look may appeal to the younger folks and are reacting accordingly. Not something an old coot like myself will wear, but I can understand perhaps an attraction by the younger set. But then I am an old baseball guy that still does not understand the pants to the shoes look.

It's a style of pant, nothing new to fashion. You could argue that Puma copied some baseball uniform company haha!

Based on the release from Nike this year, having joggers in their lineup would not surprise me at all, regardless of how stupid I think it looks.

I doubt it is them copying Puma, seems like this is something Tadashi saw when he went out their event. Both are definitely pushing the envelope of golf "fashion".

Some of it I like... some of it is definitely not my thing.

I am on the other end of this, I like it and i'm not a "young" guy per say. Of course if its done correctly. There were a few combos Rickie wore last event I didnt so much agree with.

I definitely think Nike followed Puma's lead on this, but Rory looked even worse in them than Rickie. Those big bulky shoes and those ugly pants made me wonder if Rory actually felt good when he looked in the mirror...he was probably like "where'd the rest of my pants go and where did my collar go?! Oh yeah, under that pile of money. Time to head to the tee box." :alien: Nike makes decent (often good) looking clothes when they aren't trying so hard to be different, and Rory's looks in the past have been on point. Recently though, I've just been hoping that these trends don't spill into other brands.

I don't think there is any copying going on apart from Rickie having done the high top/joggers look first this season. I will say, I'm a lot less offended by Rickie's combo than I was of Rory's. Not a fan of either, but Rory's look was uglier than a hat full of buttholes.

I really wonder how much of a performance difference it makes. Just a casual observation, but it seems like every time Rory laces up the high tops he shoots pretty poorly.

I don't think there is any copying going on apart from Rickie having done the high top/joggers look first this season. I will say, I'm a lot less offended by Rickie's combo than I was of Rory's. Not a fan of either, but Rory's look was uglier than a hat full of buttholes.

I really wonder how much of a performance difference it makes. Just a casual observation, but it seems like every time Rory laces up the high tops he shoots pretty poorly.

LOL @ hat full of buttholes and I agree.

I don't think Rickie has played well in joggers recently either....seems like his jogger rounds the past couple tournaments have been less fun to watch than his non-jogger rounds and not just cuz I have to see those silly pants.

Neither one is copying each other. The jogger look is well received in fashion right now and Puma and Nike are following larger trends in the marketplace.

Neither one is copying each other. The jogger look is well received in fashion right now and Puma and Nike are following larger trends in the marketplace.

Yes, and it is strange to see in person... I went to get a sandwich at a café in our building and there was a probably young 20s guy in front of me wearing joggers... he was probably about 5'10, well over 250 and was wearing them sagging down from his waist.

Very confused about what that look is/was, but not for me to decide.

It's funny how much attention a tight cuff receives.

No one is copying anyone here. Been around a long time.

Also, I don't remember Rory wearing hightops this past week.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I am in agreement, it was only time until we saw other apparel lines following suit. The jogger style pant has seem to take over in the younger generation and we are seeing other athlete professionals sporting these pants, obviously, outside of their respected sports. Still not a huge fan of the look, but if it sells I am not mad at anyone.

If joggers become a "thing" in golf, I'm done.

I said that about high tops...Oh the stability. Maybe people should play in cowboy boots with spikes on them.

Sadly, I think Puma stuff is less ridiculous on the whole now.

Sadly, I think Puma stuff is less ridiculous on the whole now.

Oh it without a doubt is. They have a really solid group of lines.

Oh it without a doubt is. They have a really solid group of lines.
Nikes stuff was so solid for years, now they are shoving those stupid collars, tights and soccer cleats down our throats.

Agree, the fashion is not new. My son owns and wears the tight cuff pants to school some days and he is not alone. Not at all for me but he can pull that look off at age 18 and 6'1" 160 lbs.

It's a scary thought that's for sure. At some point we might as well just be done with any modicum of decency and play shirtless in swim trunks. At least then we can get a nice tan while playing and jump in the ponds to cool off.

OK, I'm done overreacting now lol.

A guy in my league wore these Nike joggers or whatever they are and 30/32 of us said they look completely ridiculous. Funny thing is almost everyone asked if they were Richie Fowler pants and we're surprised to find out they were Nike.

Nikes stuff was so solid for years, now they are shoving those stupid collars, tights and soccer cleats down our throats.

Yea what are those dumb collars? I liked a shirt at the superstore then saw the collar. And agree on the high tops and joggers. They are just awful. What is this coming to?!

Get off my lawn.

Meh. I have joggers and they're comfy. They're not golf pants, but they sure on cozy.

I said that about high tops...Oh the stability. Maybe people should play in cowboy boots with spikes on them.

I'm really thinking that has already been done. I swear I've seen some in person when in Texas once.

s-l300.jpg

I guess I missed Rory's outfit this past weekend. He always wore something closer to 'skinny jeans' than some of the other players anyways, so I thought it always tapered down as it got to his ankle. And I've seen him in shoes before that I thought were being awfully close to just being 'mid-top' shoes.

~Rock

I will be ordering a pair of the joggers.

Starting to see some of the Puma ones up for preorder on a couple of sites.

Edit: I will most likely only wear them with the high tops.

Back