Planning for the weather

StLCardsFan

Reaction score
Handicap
>0, <10
When you have a golf outing planned in advance, do you plan for the weather and watch it ahead of time?

Played in a charity scramble yesterday and it was in the low 50's and light rain. I look forward to this event each year (work pays for it, best course in town, and a good group) so I kept track of what the weather would be through the week. 50s and spotty rain was in the forecast all week. Yet, there were people that showed up in shorts and/or short sleeves as if they had no idea it would be cool and rainy. It was an early start so even getting up in the morning it was cool and rainy, so it shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone.

I realize in some areas of the country it may not be any concern at all. Its either going to be hot, or really hot, with no chance of rain. Around here the weather can change on the hour so best to be looking for sure. Just baffles me that some people can just get dressed to golf, throw clubs in the car and head out, without any concern for the weather and then be miserable because they were not prepared.

I always track and prepare for weather when doing an out door activity.

Michigan weather sucks!! Basically have to wear layers when you leave the house and peel them off as you go. For someone to wear shorts in 50 and rainy weather, they have to be a little nuts or can handle the cold. I for one, cannot handle the cold. But that could be cause I am basically skin and bones...

The only thing I really look out for is lightning, so I do watch the weather for that. I have rain gear and beanie in my bag, 1/4 zip in the truck, so I'm normally good to go.

I always have a winter hat and rain gear in my bag if I need more than that I am not playing

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm more a fair weather golfer.So if I even see a spot of rain I will schedule another activity that day.

I am always prepared and always bring a pullover in Until about Mid June just in case the weather gets crazy and the temperature drops.

I always find myself watching the weather report... No idea why, they have about a 20% accuracy rate around here...

My rain gear always doubles as an extra layer no matter what the weather conditions change to!

You should see how many people, on a very regular basis come in at the turn and remark about how cold (or hot, or windy or whatever) it is. Yeah, it was that way before you got here. Sorry you aren't dressed for it!

In my part of the country you'd be a little nuts not to be aware of the weather before heading out to play.

That's the one time I really look and watch ahead of time, is for golf. Though I always come prepared with more than I need, in the trunk of the car, but still. I'm looking at the long range forecast as soon as it pops up on my Weather Channel app. lol

I keep an eye on it a few days out then again before leaving for the round

Yep always pay attention to it ahead of time and leading up to the day of event or outing. Keep fowl weather gear in the bag and usually have a change of clothes in the car for after the round just in case.

Cant say I really "prepare" for the weather. I wear what seems comfortable for the current weather before I head out, and I carry a rain jacket in my bag. Thats about it for me.

On the Colorado front range, you never know what's going to blow down out of the mountains on any given day. The weatherman just gives a probability and you have to take it from there. And playing any of the mountain courses is even dicier. I've seen it go from 80's and sunburn to 40's and spitting snow in the course of an hour, then back to 70's and sunny an hour after that.

Along with my clubs, I carry a small duffel bag that has anything I need for any weather that I'm willing to play in. Based on the forecast, I usually take in the cart the items that I'm most likely to need. Fortunately, in Colorado I am rarely asked to play in rain. Since rain mostly comes with lightning attached, I just take cover until it passes.

I don't know, I typically look at a thermometer, the sky, and look at the forecast on my phone before heading to the course.

As for planning out in advance, I can't control it, so I don't worry about it.

~Rock

All you have to do is stick your head out the window.

I always try to be prepared.

I don't know, I typically look at a thermometer, the sky, and look at the forecast on my phone before heading to the course.

As for planning out in advance, I can't control it, so I don't worry about it.

~Rock

Good news it is going to be 73 and sunny Saturday for your beating.

I never worry about the weather. I just book my tee times and go with what ever mother nature gives me, besides you can always cancel a slot but if the sun peaks out you can't get a slot

My rain gear is always in my car. I usually have a good idea of the weather before I go but not always on spur of the moment rounds. I golf in any weather so I don't worry about it besides making sure I don't forget the rain gloves. If it isn't Summer I usually start with a 1/4 zip on. If it is below 40 I start with an extra long sleeve compression base layer on.

I am glad i live in CA weather is not usually a major issue except frost delays in the middle of winter

I always track and plan ahead. I carry rain gear and always have a wind shirt and spiked shoes in my vehicle at all times.

I normally have rain gear either in my bag or in my car, and always have several towels and my umbrella with me. I normally put a knit cap and cart mittens in my bag in October and take them out in March or April.

I like playing local courses when it rains, as the course is usually pretty empty and I don't have a long drive home. Traveling and rain makes it a little worse, but it isn't bad if I have a change of clothes.

Back