The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took a long lunch today and got 12 holes in. My swing is all over the place right now and it has been tough mentally. I really need to get to the range and sort it out but it has been tough as the course has been wide open and time is running out on the season.
Got an instructor near by to help?

Headed to the range shortly, early day for me so got to take advantage of it.

Got an instructor near by to help?

Not really. I am not sure how to tackle this. I am going to try to hit the range but with a month plus layoff before the event I am sure I will have different issues then. The fact that I am not real worried about the issues correcting themselves worries me a little as well. Likely it is all between the ears.

Spent about 90 minutes at the range today. Working full swings throughput the bag. Concentrating on posture, working from behind the ball releasing and trusting it. Initially I was seeing a right of center launch with a slight cut to it. Once I stayed aggressive through impact and committed to a full release my ball flight was good. Start out right of the target line with a small draw back. Still needs work that's for sure, but it's a start back to better playing. Finished up with short wedge work 40-75 yards. Distance control was terrible this weekend.

Spent about 90 minutes at the range today. Working full swings throughput the bag. Concentrating on posture, working from behind the ball releasing and trusting it. Initially I was seeing a right of center launch with a slight cut to it. Once I stayed aggressive through impact and committed to a full release my ball flight was good. Start out right of the target line with a small draw back. Still needs work that's for sure, but it's a start back to better playing. Finished up with short wedge work 40-75 yards. Distance control was terrible this weekend.

I'm excited to see you hit balls again dude. You absolutely pound the ball. I'm really looking forward to teeing it up again with ya if possible this weekend. You're such a good $h!t

Spent a 1/2 hour at lunch working just to see ball flight. I hit my 7 iron, 5 iron, 3 wood, driver and 52* wedge. All were hit really well, except my 52* which I was pulling left of the target more than I would like. Soooo, plan of attack. I'm going to hit the range again tonight after work and focus on my PW on down.
I know there is some decent time between now and the Grandaddy (48 days as of today), and with the weather that's going to start to get colder and all. I may just be dialing in my wedges, just to see them be a little off in Cali. However, confidence is a great motivator for me and to see them dialed in helps keep my frame of mind right, going into the colder days.
I know in about 30 days or less I'll be stuck hitting into my net in the garage instead, so I want to remember the feel and look of correct ball flight before that happens.

Wow....what a night at the range.

Really got my turn working and and my weight braced inside left. Gorgeous, gorgeous ball flight, if I do say so myself.

Next time you see me, you boys are going to say "who are you and what have you done with Wade's swing?" :)

I hit 70 after playing today since I had some time to kill. Wind was at my back woot woot. Then 30 minutes on the putting green.

Tonight was one of those range outings that was just plain fun. No mishits, straight ball after straight ball with every club in the bag. Driver and 4 wood were as good as ever.

I know none of it will carry over to the course but I still cant stop smiling.

Tonight was one of those range outings that was just plain fun. No mishits, straight ball after straight ball with every club in the bag. Driver and 4 wood were as good as ever.

I know none of it will carry over to the course but I still cant stop smiling.

Range hero days are AWESOME. Almost as awesome as the next round out when I promptly duck hook the first tee ball :alien:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

All I can say is "unbelievable." The last time I hit the range 2 days ago, I could barely hit my driver. The ball would travel 70 yards and then turn left and low fast. I pay for my bucket, and the pro asks me how I'm hitting the ball lately. I tell him about my problem with the hooks, and how I'm fighting a shut face at the top. He showed my how to hold my release through impact in 2 minutes, and talked about how a lot of solid players played with a shut face: Trevino, Azinger, Kuchar, etc.

I hit 70 balls, 35 with the driver, I think I lost 3 to the left. They were misses to the left, but still had a good high trajectory, and were playable drives. I'm amazed at how he was able to help me so quickly.

Sometimes I think golf is crazy, but I think I'm the crazy one, and I make golf way too complicated for myself. :banghead:
I really love this game though.

Chipping practice in the yard tonight, with roughly 30-40 balls.

Moved into the garage for some swings. Finally felt what the weight on the inside of my back leg feels like, now...to get that feeling of coiling into my right heel, and firing through the ball...

Baby steps!

Lesson today. Short chips from 10-20 yds, good results.
Then, fitness session. Working on flexibility and getting rid of some medial epicondylitis. After that, hit some serious 7 irons, working the ball R to L and L to R, great results and with carry of about 170 yds (Trackman stats). Something to take to the range.

No chipping practice for me today( gate locked)

Might do some later at home...

The THP Range/Practice Thread

No chipping practice for me today( gate locked)

Might do some later at home...

Break the lock!!!! You can tell the judge you did it for the Basement Dwellers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hit the range tonight after the gym tonight. Started like this:

df11c1fa4fb3130e342d2002a917eee6.jpg

And finished like this:

021ce8e7e95bfb6a3d714ec5ba5a28d1.jpg

Spent the time on the range working on tempo and extending towards my target. Overall decent practice, but can be better.

Anybody see School of Golf last night?

Hall had the coolest little aim/alignment thing set up. I need to recreate that I think. Though sometimes it's best if I'm not aimed straight.

Can you elaborate Hawk? Didn't see it.

I'm always up for tips on alignment. Especially if it will keep me from getting closed.

Can you elaborate Hawk? Didn't see it.

I'm always up for tips on alignment. Especially if it will keep me from getting closed.

Well it was pretty involved, but I thin it could be done on a smaller scale.

He had a big pole about 20-30 feet in front of the hitting area. Then, two paralell sets of ropes about 8 inches apart pointing towards the pole where the ball went. Then a rod for the feet.

He was trying to get Sara Brown to hit the ball starting right of the pole and back to target.

I'm going to go chip today. Need some meditation time.

Going to work on my short game today. Mostly chipping. Saw a good video last night on using SW, W, 9i, 8i and 7i for chipping, and dialing in distance. So going to see how that works in reality. The drill goes something like this...

If you are 8 feet from the green and chip it to the green (say 10 feet) with your SW it should roll about 10 feet on the green (so 1:1 roll to chip ratio). For W that ratio is 2:1 meaning it should roll 20 feet, 3:1 for the 9i, 4:1 for the 8i and 5:1 for the 7i.

Going to test that theory today.

It's a worthwhile way to simplify things. Don't overthink it though.

Headed out to do work. Focused on posture, working from behind the ball, aggressive through the impact zone and release.

Looking forward to tomorrow. I plan to spend a couple hours at the range in the morning and then play 18 in the afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back