TaylorMade RSi 1 Irons Review Thread

SW looks to be the same. I think you've just gotten stronger.

Are you saying these are lighter than the Speedblade and SLDR? Aren't the shafts in these a bit heavier?

I'm really interested in the RSi 2 or TP and will see if I can hit them this week! Might be the ones that finally replace my R11's :act-up:

I don't have the Speedblades handy so it's hard for me to do a direct comparison. They just feel lighter than what I have been currently playing, with a similar shaft weight and swingweight.

SW looks to be the same. I think you've just gotten stronger.

if by stronger you mean beefier, then yes. I'm going to try and SW them this week.

While I'm not in the market for new irons, I'd certainly be interested in giving the RSi 2 a hit. Initial reviews sound promising on the face slot forgiveness.

I don't have the Speedblades handy so it's hard for me to do a direct comparison. They just feel lighter than what I have been currently playing, with a similar shaft weight and swingweight.

if by stronger you mean beefier, then yes. I'm going to try and SW them this week.

They are nearly identical in swing weight from what I could tell with both in hand. Total weight wise, there might have been a 3 or 4g total weight difference. Unofficially, I think one club was 380g vs 376g, when I could get them to balance on my scale

I don't know about you guys, but man the weight of these threw me off. They just feel extremely light to swing.

I didn't notice it. I just weighed the 8 irons from both sets, and my SLDR is 4 grams heavier than the RSi 1. The shaft in the SLDR is 3/4" longer though, so that probably accounts for some of that.

Sorry if its already been discussed but does anyone know what custom shaft options are available? I looked on line but couldn't find any info on shaft options.

Sorry if its already been discussed but does anyone know what custom shaft options are available? I looked on line but couldn't find any info on shaft options.
Nothing specific, but in would venture a guess that TM options available for SLDR and SpeedBlades would come into play here as well.

Nothing specific, but in would venture a guess that TM options available for SLDR and SpeedBlades would come into play here as well.
Thanks I didn't even think to look at those options to get an idea of what's available.

I have to admit, watching the robot testing with the heel and toe shots really got my attention.

I'm hoping to give the TP models a thorough once over in January. That set speaks to me like crazy.

Have any of the current testers hit the rocketbladez in the past? Do you think it is a substantial upgrade with the Rsi?

As a set matching wedge guy, I'm interested to see what the wedges look like.

Just got the teaser email and watched the promo video for these. They've got my full attention and I can't wait to hear what the TM MC staffers have to say about them as they get more time with them. So cool of TM to send sets to all of the staffers!

Not bad looking irons. I haven't really considered TM irons in recent years. Maybe these change that.

I wonder if heavier shafts or some lead tape would help?

I taped up a few to experiment as I felt the same way. Planning on giving these some more range time tomorrow and will let you all know

These look nice. Profile seems like it would suit me - 90g shaft, toe forgiveness... I look forward to trying them.

I taped up a few to experiment as I felt the same way. Planning on giving these some more range time tomorrow and will let you all know

You're a good man. I'm looking forward to it.

Not to sound wrong of rude but these seem gimmicky to me.

I have to admit, watching the robot testing with the heel and toe shots really got my attention.

It was pretty cool to watch! I'll be looking forward to hearing back from the testers to see if they are actually getting that kind of forgiveness on the course!

Not to sound wrong of rude but these seem gimmicky to me.

I don't think that's being rude. I think a lot of things in the golf industry have been looked at as gimmicky at one point or another. Think about movable weights, adjustable hosels, speed slots, etc.

I don't think that's being rude. I think a lot of things in the golf industry have been looked at as gimmicky at one point or another. Think about movable weights, adjustable hosels, speed slots, etc.

True. I haven't watched the video yet as work has it blocked.

True. I haven't watched the video yet as work has it blocked.

There is no doubt in my mind that the speed slot helps in the sole of my long irons. If I catch one thin, it's usually a lower ball flight but fairly straight and with plenty of distance. It helps turn a potential disaster shot into something salvageable.

I wasn't sure how the slots on the face would help, but after watching the video I think they have a lot of potential. To get such similar distances, with minimal distance off line is impressive. The robot doesn't allow the club to twist though on off center shots. I'm curious as to how well they will help in human hands when catching on the toe can cause the club to twist more open. But pin high is pin high, even if you miss the green and are set up for a chip/pitch shot. That's better than only getting some of your distance while being way off-line from a mis-hit and having to hit another approach shot.

I can't try these out though. I just bought my TP CB's and promised myself not to be a club hoe and hang on to them through 2015. I'll watch from a distance and consider them January 2016...hopefully.

Don't worry Franklin51, I'm sure the "S" version of these irons will be out in 3 months.

I went to GG today to see if they had any demos of these, but they did not. So I hit the SpeedBlades. Hitting the SB's again reminded me they are still one of my favorite sets ever and got me all excited again to hit these, as I like everything I am hearing about how they compare.

Back