Question For Those That Attend THP Events

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.
The grandaddy gear is AWESOME, but the experience is right there too.

I can go out an buy everything in that bag, I cannot buy the experience, the feeling that I have to improve for myself and my team that is counting on me, getting selected to go to the grandaddy last year, I wanted to help my team win, I wanted to meet the callaway guys that I have heard are so awesome (and they are!), I wanted to play the hideaway that I've seen the amazing pictures of, I wanted to have my name on a sign in the airport and meet my driver (yes, I know that's silly, but I really was looking forward to that!)
The gear is in there, and I treasure it. My grandaddy bag and clubs sit right next to my chair in the living room!
It's all part of the experience.

Maybe some guys it is all about the new clubs, and if it is, that's OK.
But to tell me that the #Grandaddy is all about the clubs to me is rather insulting.

Thanks. You summed up my thoughts exactly and said what I was thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.

I can go out an buy everything in that bag, I cannot buy the experience, the feeling that I have to improve for myself and my team that is counting on me, getting selected to go to the grandaddy last year, I wanted to help my team win, I wanted to meet the callaway guys that I have heard are so awesome (and they are!), I wanted to play the hideaway that I've seen the amazing pictures of, I wanted to have my name on a sign in the airport and meet my driver (yes, I know that's silly, but I really was looking forward to that!)
The gear is in there, and I treasure it. My grandaddy bag and clubs sit right next to my chair in the living room!

But to tell me that the #Grandaddy is all about the clubs to me is rather insulting.

Conversation aside, I cannot say how much I appreciate this --- As someone who has not been lucky enough to be selected and would treat the 'swag' with a similar obsessive love, I cannot begin to appreciate your attitude towards the gear Callaway so graciously provided to you.

All I'm pointing out is that I hate seeing people go to events just because they want some free equipment. That's all. I would like to believe this community is bigger than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just going to say, having only been to one event (and personal opinion, the Morgan Cup is/was a sort of oddity, because of how the different companies approached it) that even if you come for the equipment, you end up staying for the experience. From guys who didn't take another shot with their gear after the event to players who still have a bag full of their Morgan Cup clubs, the experience is what people keep coming back to. I can't lie, a HUGE part of #THPMC was the idea of a bag of gear for me. But if I didn't also have an amazing experience, I wouldn't have kept coming back to the community.

I think for every player who participates in a big event that end up fading away and that make people on the community say only did it for the free sticks, there's at least one other player who showed up for the free sticks and ends up becoming a longstanding member of the community.

I sure as hell hope my team is hyped up about the equipment portion of #TheGrandaddy, after all Callaway is an EQUIPMENT company and as such that is the reason any of the awesomeness that ensues is possible in the first place. 99.9% of golfers will NEVER get to be fit BY the actual company for 14 clubs built just for them and their swing, hell I get to review practically every club that releases and I'm still excited about that knowing it will never again happen for me.

Despite what anybody wants to believe...The Grandaddy is ALL about the equipment.
R&D is there. Roger Cleveland was there. They fit every single person.
They gave them a bag full of equipment.
They brought you to one of the nicest courses in the country to test that equipment.

It is ALL about the gear and anybody wanting to attend should view it as such.
Things that make me attracted to Callaway have little to do with equipment and more to do with them and how they treat the average golfer. Of course the equipment needs to perform but so much equipment performs a company needs to go that extra mile for me to look at them first. I am sure they understand this and do things like the granddaddy and their social media presence etc. When you plan an event it may have everything to do with equipment but I would bet money even if not said out loud they know they need more than just equipment any good marketing department knows this and they prove this at each event and every day with their presence.

Stuff only goes so far experiences,knowledge and friendships last a lifetime.

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

Does this effectively eliminate said person for signing up for an event where the equipment is a complete unknown? Grandaddy, Gauntlet, #StaffProto and Up & Down? I say this not about any person in the thread, but a general question.

Not if there is a known like or love with the OEM. It may be riskier with a lesser known brand.

I sure as hell hope my team is hyped up about the equipment portion of #TheGrandaddy, after all Callaway is an EQUIPMENT company and as such that is the reason any of the awesomeness that ensues is possible in the first place. 99.9% of golfers will NEVER get to be fit BY the actual company for 14 clubs built just for them and their swing, hell I get to review practically every club that releases and I'm still excited about that knowing it will never again happen for me.
I'm going to say that I understand your approach, but from someone that has been there. The equipment hype is awesome. But it only lasts as long as the cycle of clubs last. The other factors are what is going to burn the longest lasting memories. And it's not event close.

Yes, I would pass on it. Apparently this doesn't seem to resonate with people, so I am going to say this one last time and you will just have to believe me that this is how I feel.

I have hit enough clubs that I have an idea of what brands work for me and what don't. Of those I tried, I can tell you I will never sign up for anything Ping sponsored. They don't work for me, never have. I have added Cure to that list.

Conversely, sign me up for anything Adams or Callaway or SeeMore sponsored. I like those clubs very much.

Taylormade is hit or miss. I have no experience with Wilson or Bridgestone clubs. I would go try them or any other OEM I am unfamiliar with out first before making a decision to go for a spot in an event with gear from them.

I don't need anyone else to agree with me on this. And while I appreciate that this apparently is not a common thought process, I'd also appreciate that people understand that this is my rationale, and it is what is right for me.

When it comes to the granddaddy, I want to go to be part of the team and to experience the golf nirvana that is the locale. Because I know that it is a competitive event and unfamiliar gear will be used, it does matter that it is from an OEM I know I like. But if it were from an OEM I know I don't like, as painful as it would be to not experience the rest of it I would not sign up for it because I know my ability to help the team would be negatively changed by using clubs I most likely based on history won't like.

Listen dude, don't feel like you need to defend yourself. I've said it a handful of times this month, but THP should be exactly how you want it to be. For me, I go to events for the people and the experience first, and find my way into the sponsorships and what they have to offer second. Truth be told, I'm not all fired up about Cure personally, however I felt it would be a great excuse to play Longaberger, get to learn more about the putter design and concept, and of course, see my THP friends and make new ones.

Cure turned out to be a great and generous sponsor, and I have had an opportunity to share their technology with a solid percentage of my regular playing partners, as it's always in my trunk and often makes it to the practice green or on course in someone's bag.... And that story is quite typical of a THP sponsored event, as they almost always go above and beyond when they see the power of the THP member.

THP has a lot of events on the calendar this year and many of them include the participants getting equipment.

We have discussed this in the past, but I wanted to ask you something as we have a lot of events this year that include equipment. If you get into a THP Event that has equipment given to you by the company, do you think you should play it? If so, how long should you play it for? Review it for other forum members that were not as fortunate? Do you think the companies are giving you the equipment in hopes you continue to play it?

I have been discussing this with a few from companies over the last 2 weeks and wanted to get additional feedback.

I read most of this thread but not all of it so sorry if this has already been asked/answered: What do the companies expect/need/want in terms of the gear that is tied in? I can guess what they want, feedback via reviews, but is there things they specifically ask for?

For me the gear would only be 50% of the event. The thrill of teeing it up with a great group of like minded people would be the other 50%, maybe even more. I would play the equipment until I felt that I could give a good honest review. Then continue to play it to see if I can have success with it or will it just flat our not work for my game. There is also the variable if it out performs my current gear. Regardless if it's better or worse I would still give it an in depth review for as long as I felt was necessary. Not sure of that time frame as I've never had the opportunity to attend a THP event.

Things that make me attracted to Callaway have little to do with equipment and more to do with them and how they treat the average golfer. Of course the equipment needs to perform but so much equipment performs a company needs to go that extra mile for me to look at them first. I am sure they understand this and do things like the granddaddy and their social media presence etc. When you plan an event it may have everything to do with equipment but I would bet money even if not said out loud they know they need more than just equipment any good marketing department knows this and they prove this at each event and every day with their presence.

Stuff only goes so far experiences,knowledge and friendships last a lifetime.

Sounds like the Gauntlet would be an AWESOME event for you to play in!!! I hear the Callaway staffers that head out to that are a riot!

I'm going to say that I understand your approach, but from someone that has been there. The equipment hype is awesome. But it only lasts as long as the cycle of clubs last. The other factors are what is going to burn the longest lasting memories. And it's not event close.

I'm not questioning that, I acknowledge, embrace, and am excited as hell about that. But, I do not agree with the discounting of the reason an event like #TheGrandaddy is even possible or held in the first place.

Sounds like the Gauntlet would be an AWESOME event for you to play in!!! I hear the Callaway staffers that head out to that are a riot!
If I wasn't going out of town those dates for work I would have been all over signups. Missed both the gauntlet (work trip) and the king (Aruba) this year wish I at least had a shot to enter.

Yes.

Editing after I read it to explain that last sentence (written word hard to express feeling)
To tell me that to me the grandaddy is all about the clubs is simply not accurate.
Not trying to fight, argue, or get thrown under a bus, just expressing my thoughts.

And that is fine and great that you get that out of it. I did too and hope everybody that gets a chance to go feels the same way. However from the company stand point, their goal is the equipment. The event is designed to be about the equipment. Someone going to the Grandaddy that does not care about the equipment, does it a disservice. They set the entire thing up to give people a once in a lifetime chance and share the experience of the equipment with the world through THP.

If someone is not going to do that, what does Callaway get out of spending tens of thousands to host an event like this? It is about the gear and and they said that numerous times in their own way while out there. They must have said 3-4 times during the ECPC day "please share this".

Good way of looking at it. Perhaps in this case, the life cycle of the product is a good way to gauge.

I'm not questioning that, I acknowledge, embrace, and am excited as hell about that. But, I do not agree with the discounting of the reason an event like #TheGrandaddy is even possible or held in the first place.
Im not sure I was discounting it, but that's fine..

Im not sure I was discounting it, but that's fine..

Didn't say you were Kevin, but others, are.

The bliss to #TheGrandaddy is you get it ALL. But if not for the gear, none of it, not a single bit of it, is possible.

I enjoy the conversation in here, I really do. Some of it confuses the hell out of me, but thats cool.

My first event with equipment tie in wad the 2014 Morgan Cup. It was an incredible experience from start to end. Personally I can say that I'd do it all over again even if there were no equipment given, but that's not the question...

When I went thru the MC I was just beginning to get back into the game. Really had no idea what fit my game or what worked... I took a lot of advice from friends and made choices hoping they were the right ones. In the end, the gear was outperformed by others and I hate to say it but none of it remains in my bag. The staff bags and other incredible gifts will always be cherished and I'll keep forever along with memories. I played and reviewed the gear. Long enough? I have no clue. In hindsight I feel I should have played and reviewed the gear longer.

Second event with equipment tie in was the King. Xr driver was given and I played it for a very long time (for me anyways lol) and provided a lot of feedback. Once again the event itself, the people and memories far outweighed the equipment bit still.... equipment was the main drive behind the event (kings of distance).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I am given gear I find that I am obligated to play it and provide feedback. Feedback is what's important to the OEM and the other people that read. With that being said, I still have no real idea what is appropriate time. I guess until the person feels enough feedback and review has been provided... it's so personal

There is one other thing I need to say. It is long been said that THP is what you want it to be. I believe that. Dan and I have a different view on whether the Cure event was worth our time. I do not for one minute begrudge Dan for seeing it differently than I do. Nor would I ever anyone else. It is simply two different opinions on the same thing.

There is one other thing I need to say. It is long been said that THP is what you want it to be. I believe that. Dan and I have a different view on whether the Cure event was worth our time. I do not for one minute begrudge Dan for seeing it differently than I do. Nor would I ever anyone else. It is simply two different opinions on the same thing.

Nailed it brother. Different strokes, and we can all still be civil about it.

For me, I would play the equipment given to me while at said event without question. Unless over the course of the weekend I could not hit said clubs to save my life, I would also play said clubs long enough to give them a fair shake against my current clubs. If they outperformed my old club then they stay in the bag, if not then they come out of the bag. During the event and my "testing" period I would post my thoughts and results without a doubt. I do not think the manufacturers expect you to keep the club if it doesnt work for you, I dont think they are offended if a certain club doesnt work for a certain person...none of them should think that XXX club is right for everyone. I dont think it hurts their feelings if you take a free club out of the bag. I would advise one to keep it professional during review even if it is a dog club for you...after all it was free so dont beat a dead horse.

I feel like I did this for TheKing in 2014. My only regret was selling my RFE right after getting the BBA...after about a month I realized the BBA was too much of a club for me and my game suffered for the remainder of the year.

And to add...any potential free gear most definitely factors in my decision to try for an event. Just being honest.

The bliss to #TheGrandaddy is you get it ALL. But if not for the gear, none of it, not a single bit of it, is possible.

I enjoy the conversation in here, I really do. Some of it confuses the hell out of me, but thats cool.
Honestly brother, this is one of those topics that gets a bit of smear for some reason. And let it be known that the first Grandaddy had no idea it was about equipment. And I'm not sure I've ever seen till today that this is more focused on equipment than the entire experience. It's business I know, but it's a bit saddening. Because people long for the personal experience far more than equipment, anyone can buy equipment, but that experience is literally priceless.

I think there ar two answers to this.

Fist I think everyone should give the gear a fair shake, yes we pay entry fees in to the vents but they are base priced and certainly dont cover the full costs associated with the event especially the gear, I think out of respect we should give reviews until it's no longer in the forfront of the forum and the interaction has died down to almost nil.

Second, I think that if the gear truly doesn't fit the game of the player that should be taken into consideration, let's face it, not everything is for everyone. There is a method to my madness though, if a player has a true choice of he gear he or she is able to pick and they pick something very similar to what they play, there should be a specific amount of time they should play it, I think that's the honest and responsible thing to do, had I the chance to do it again I would do it differently.

I think some confusion is present. I know the event is done because of the equipment but it means a whole lot more to me than just the equipment. As said before the equipment needs to shine but when I think granddaddy or even legacy coming up for that matter I don't think o wow 14 clubs. I think of HOW I am getting those 14 clubs. The work behind it, the experience THP and the companies are delivering and the grind I put myself through to get to those 14 clubs at the end of the road and the experiences I will share with my team.

There is a difference between doing something for the experience (which includes equipment) and doing something for only clubs as the sole reason in my mind. Some of that may be lost in text but I am sure you know what I am getting at.

Despite what anybody wants to believe...The Grandaddy is ALL about the equipment.
R&D is there. Roger Cleveland was there. They fit every single person.
They gave them a bag full of equipment.
They brought you to one of the nicest courses in the country to test that equipment.

It is ALL about the gear and anybody wanting to attend should view it as such.

JB, you may run this forum but you don't get to tell people what to think. TO YOU it is all about the equipment. Perfectly fine if that is how you view it. But I have had the opportunity to have in-depth conversations with multiple members of multiple granddaddy teams. Not one of them have talked about the equipment. They all talked about the experience.

So you can rest assured that when I do try and get into the granddaddy,, I will be aware that the equipment is part of it. It will not be the main reason I am wanting to go. Nothing you or anyone else says will change my opinion on that. I also know that I'm not alone in that thought process. And if that for some reason cost me a spot and I never get to participate in it, so be it.

Honestly brother, this is one of those topics that gets a bit of smear for some reason. And let it be known that the first Grandaddy had no idea it was about equipment. And I'm not sure I've ever seen till today that this is more focused on equipment than the entire experience. It's business I know, but it's a bit saddening. Because people long for the personal experience far more than equipment, anyone can buy equipment, but that experience is literally priceless.

You're missing my whole point dudeski, but that's cool.

Its not a one or the other thing and that is fantastic.

Anywho, I'll bow out of here now. Its all gravy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back