Where would you get fit?

Reaction score
Handicap
I need a bit of help choosing the right place to get fit for a new driver. I have pretty much narrowed down my choice to either the Ping G and the Taylormade M2 and I have two decent fitting options to choose between (i'm in sweden so not your usual places):

1. Sweden's equivalent to a big box store (Dormy Golf). They're certainly better than other chains such as american golf, golfsmith etc and have good employees but I'd still be getting fit purely based on a trackman and a net. They'd let me bash away on any clubs i want until i have selected something. Club prices are close to RRP and the fitting would be free if i bought the club (600kr/$70 if not)

2. A local place which is my go to shop for golf clubs (Fairway Golf in Ulriksdahl for any of those in Stockholm). They have a small very knowledgeable staff and the best prices I have seen in Sweden, I got my set of Mizuno MP-25's fitted there last ear and was really happy. However... they make you choose the head you take into the fitting session AND they are currently not working with Taylormade (an interesting development as they are a national fitting centre for almost every other brand). Which means that i could only get fit for the G there. Fitting is done by a very experienced pro using trackman and the range with your choice of balls. It costs 250kr ($30) for the fitting but their prices are double that cheaper than the other places.

So i have to choose between a better fitting exprience with only 1 model or a more limited fitting with both models. I like the G and would have no problems in buying one tomorrow but the M2 has given me good reults both on the range and in the simulator and i don't want to ignore it... Which would you choose?

Honestly I would do both if it's possible. Sure you'll spend more with the cost of fittings. But I would go with big box first, narrow it down with a head you like. And let the better fitters really tune you in to exactly what fits you. Spend a few bucks extra to make sure the $1000 you spend is exactly what fits.

He second options seems like the better way to go once you find a head you want. If price is a concern, maybe go,to option one and hit everything you could without paying for a fitting and find what you like then pay for option 2

If you want to be fit into both clubs you only have one choice, right? The second place can't GIR you into the M2.

Honestly I would do both if it's possible. Sure you'll spend more with the cost of fittings. But I would go with big box first, narrow it down with a head you like. And let the better fitters really tune you in to exactly what fits you. Spend a few bucks extra to make sure the $1000 you spend is exactly what fits.
Clever, great thought and option!

Both fittings is a great suggestion. I'd be surprised if they couldn't get a great fit for you with the Ping G. I've hit all the new drivers (and own several less than 18 months old) and I could be happy with about a dozen different models as long as the shaft is correct. The loft you can obviously tweak anytime. The heads are all so incredibly good now that I truly believe that they all perform well, it really boils down to what pleases your eye and what brand you prefer. The shaft is the engine of the club and certainly there are so many hundreds of choices that it's tough to optimize without a proper fitting.

thanks for the tips everyone. In the end i half took the advice and went back to the big box store to give myself a self-fitting. hitting dozens of balls with both clubs in a few different shafts. The M2 was geting the best peak numbers but the G LS TEC was just so damn consistent. I was averaging about 300rpm higher with the G but launch was better and carry was similar. Best thing about the G was that i felt i could hit it almost anywhere on the face and still get a decent shot out of it, i couldn't say the same for the M2.

So i have booked a professional fitting on the Ping at the local hop for next weekend!

Back