2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still sore from kickboxing yesterday so I am doing hot yoga this evening.

I got too lax over the holidays, back to daily pilates starting tomorrow. My back started tightening up a few days ago, usually when that happens I know that spasms are on the horizon, so I'm making a point to get at least 15-20 minutes of pilates in tomorrow morning once I've got the kids all squared away for school.

40 minutes on the stationary bike today and foot was pain free for the second day in a row.

Afterwards did another 30-40 minutes of stretching and core work.

Feels good to get it going again.
What are you doing for core work?

What are you doing for core work?
At this point just planks, medicine ball, superman pose, Russian twists.

Need to incorporate more, so open to suggestions.

Standing overhead presses. Remember that your core's job is to keep you upright. Do more stuff standing.

Hard to beat the good old ab wheel.

Standing overhead presses. Remember that your core's job is to keep you upright. Do more stuff standing.
Yeah, right now I have to keep everything low impact until the foot (toe) is completely healed.

I will try overhead press and see how it feels.

Yeah, right now I have to keep everything low impact until the foot (toe) is completely healed.

I will try overhead press and see how it feels.
Presses are pretty darn low impact

Looks like I got some reading to do now.
7badaa23f1fdabc08bea501c8fb91e74.jpg

Looks like I got some reading to do now.

Yes you do. It's a very well written book. Read it and trust it. If you have questions, ask.

Yes you do. It's a very well written book. Read it and trust it. If you have questions, ask.
Will do blu thanks for pointing me in the correct direction

Will do blu thanks for pointing me in the correct direction
I am very happy to help. With this book and the other book, Practical Programming (you're not ready for that one yet), I've set a lot of personal bests.

I am very happy to help. With this book and the other book, Practical Programming (you're not ready for that one yet), I've set a lot of personal bests.
That's awesome man. Keep it going!!! Maybe once I get it all familiarized I'll start seeing some good distances with the driver

That's awesome man. Keep it going!!! Maybe once I get it all familiarized I'll start seeing some good distances with the driver
It can't hurt. If you read this book, lift as described, you won't lose flexibility.

It can't hurt. If you read this book, lift as described, you won't lose flexibility.
That'll be good. It's snowing now and the gym is crazy so it's a cardio, push up, and resistance band night in the basement. Working on my form now, practice makes perfect. He had me on a half ball Friday doing pushups and a full ball under my back doing dumbbells. Trying to work on that tonight.

That'll be good. It's snowing now and the gym is crazy so it's a cardio, push up, and resistance band night in the basement. Working on my form now, practice makes perfect. He had me on a half ball Friday doing pushups and a full ball under my back doing dumbbells. Trying to work on that tonight.
I'm chuckling because I know Rippetoe's opinion on all of that.

Is it similar to his thoughts on crossfit?
Similar. Odd enough, Mark was instrumental in the foundations Crossfit.

Oh I know, I watched some of the youtubes videos and his thoughts on it. I defiantly agree with him on crossfit. I will not be surprised when I star hearing about how more people are getting hurt from it.
Similar. Odd enough, Mark was instrumental in the foundations Crossfit.

coers, tons of people are getting hurt from it. That's how the chiropractors and physical therapists stay in business. :D

Whatever you do, don't go to Rippetoe's gym and do a squat that does not get to depth. You will be lucky to leave on your own two feet.

coers, tons of people are getting hurt from it. That's how the chiropractors and physical therapists stay in business. :D
A lot are getting hurt, but that is a combined indictment of the trainers running the program and the individuals. The trainers at some don't know how to progress or regress people or proper form, and the trainees get caught up in the balls to walls atmosphere and don't pay attention to their bodies. Deconditioned and uncoordinated trainees jumping in to Olympic lifts or deadlifts and squats is a recipe for disaster and they need to master the basic movements first. I went to a couple of boxes and did their program for a month or so and got some info on a couple of more. They ranged from one very well run that had a mandatory introductory class to teach form to ones that just said do everything you think you can. The well run one the trainers were proportional to the class, and they had no problem telling people to use a regressive form of the exercise or less weight to maintain form. So like a lot of things you can't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Especially if you have some background in doing things right. It is a good metabolic and power workout, just not a real good strength program. At least without doing some strength work outside the classes. Overall, I would say that the number of people that were lean and strong by far outweighed the typical gym. So if you are smart and go to the right box it can work. Just stay away from the zealots that are almost religious fanatics about it.

Whatever you do, don't go to Rippetoe's gym and do a squat that does not get to depth. You will be lucky to leave on your own two feet.
I think I one video, at his gym, he tells a guy who missed depth on a BW Squat, "Give me 2 more for missing depth."

Rip trained under Bill Starr, you know Starr made shat happen.
A lot are getting hurt, but that is a combined indictment of the trainers running the program and the individuals. The trainers at some don't know how to progress or regress people or proper form, and the trainees get caught up in the balls to walls atmosphere and don't pay attention to their bodies. Deconditioned and uncoordinated trainees jumping in to Olympic lifts or deadlifts and squats is a recipe for disaster and they need to master the basic movements first. I went to a couple of boxes and did their program for a month or so and got some info on a couple of more. They ranged from one very well run that had a mandatory introductory class to teach form to ones that just said do everything you think you can. The well run one the trainers were proportional to the class, and they had no problem telling people to use a regressive form of the exercise or less weight to maintain form. So like a lot of things you can't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Especially if you have some background in doing things right. It is a good metabolic and power workout, just not a real good strength program. At least without doing some strength work outside the classes. Overall, I would say that the number of people that were lean and strong by far outweighed the typical gym. So if you are smart and go to the right box it can work. Just stay away from the zealots that are almost religious fanatics about it.
There are plenty of crossfit gyms and trainers who understand the difference between exercise and training. But the megacomplexes typically have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back