Buying logo balls off craigslist

AmberLamps

Reaction score
Handicap
Picked up a dozen Prov1 and prov1x (6 of each) from craigslist for $25 from this guy http://www.theballguy.com/ . Obviously I was very skeptical and thoroughly looked over all the balls and even compared them to one that I brought from home. They all looked legit and brand new besides having random logos on most of them. Some of them didn't even have logos on.

What are the chances these are legit or really good fakes? Is the only way to tell by cutting one open? I mean the guy gave me his home address and he has a business card he gave me when I left. Everything seemed legit to me. Do you think he gets his balls from the same place as lostgolfballs.com and sites like that?

They are most likely fine. I wouldn't worry much about it.

You should check out Knetgolf or lostgolfballs.com if you want to be a little more sure.

Picked up a dozen Prov1 and prov1x (6 of each) from craigslist for $25 from this guy http://www.theballguy.com/ . Obviously I was very skeptical and thoroughly looked over all the balls and even compared them to one that I brought from home. They all looked legit and brand new besides having random logos on most of them. Some of them didn't even have logos on.

What are the chances these are legit or really good fakes? Is the only way to tell by cutting one open? I mean the guy gave me his home address and he has a business card he gave me when I left. Everything seemed legit to me. Do you think he gets his balls from the same place as lostgolfballs.com and sites like that?

It would probably be harder to sell you fake ones than it would to sell you recycled or refinished ones at a small premium so they are likely to be real. They price you paid ($25 per dozen) is about what I would expect to pay for mint 2012 Pro V1s or Grade A to A- 2-14 Pro V1s. Not that I golf well enough to use a Pro V1 anyway.

I lot of people don't like to play logo balls and will get rid of them cheap. Most of them are give-a-ways anyway, so it would seem unlikely someone actually paid for them in the first place (except for the people who bought them to give them away).

There is an annual tournament I sometimes play and they will give away a dozen Pro-V1s with the logo on them. I prefer the 'x' version myself, so I'll trade them with a buddy who uses the regular version and doesn't mind the logos. Typically I'll offer 15 logo balls to get 12 back of what I want. He gets 15 balls at a discount and I get what I want for nothing; win-win.

They are most likely fine. I wouldn't worry much about it.

You should check out Knetgolf or lostgolfballs.com if you want to be a little more sure.

I second lostgolfballs - great selection and awesome quality.

Since they are located near Houston in Sugarland, I often go over to their warehouse and pick out which ones I want. They will also run specials from time to time if you spend so much. I have three cheap putting greens from buying balls there over the last two years or so.

Picked up a dozen Prov1 and prov1x (6 of each) from craigslist for $25 from this guy http://www.theballguy.com/ .

AmberLamps - thanks for mentioning my site. I've bought 1st quality, AAAAA mint balls from all the big companies (like lostgolfballs.com and others) over the years and have usually been pretty satisfied. But when you factor in shipping charges, the balls can still be pretty expensive, IMO.

As well, while I've had good experiences with those companies, you don't always get true AAAAA mint balls in your order. I've had orders where as many as 25% - 30% of the balls still had scuffs, nicks, or scratches - stuff that I wouldn't consider to be 1st quality mint.

So, long story short, I've started my own very small business selling true AAAAA mint, 1st-quality golf balls for the same (or less) than the big websites. As AmberLamps can attest to, you won't get any balls with scuffs, nicks, or scratches from me. Lots of them have logos, and sometimes there's a faint player mark, but aside from that, the balls I sell look like new.

I have tons of repeat customers here in Denver, and 100% Positive Feedback on eBay. But because of all the eBay and PayPal fees, these balls end up being more expensive than if you buy directly from me.

Anyway, I pretty much only sell 1st quality, mint ProV1, ProV1x, and Bridgestone e6. Check out my profile for a link to my site if you're interested. My inventory is updated regularly. PM me any time and I'll try and get you a discount on shipping.

Yes "TheBallGuy" sells top quality, and is prompt, and very accommodating to needs if you are at all dissatisfied with any of the balls for any reason, thanks for the balls, they played great today.

...thanks for the balls, they played great today.

You'll have to let me know how you like the Bridgestone e6 compared to the ProVs. I threw some of the '14 ProV1x balls in my bag last night. I'm going to play a few holes with 'em tomorrow and see how they compare.

Back