Johneli

Reaction score
Handicap
.....would you start to think about teaching your child golf? I wish I had started at about 5 years old but didn't start until I was 15. Should a child be started out as young as 2 or 3? You see, IMO I think that's too young. The child should be given the opportunity to play freely for awhile IMO.

What do you think about introducing a child to golf at a young age?

My 3yr old doesn't have the right attention span yet....I would hope that by age 5 she'd have an interest

My son just turned 4 and he loves to golf. I just got him set and let him "Whack" it. I don`t try to teach him, just how to hold club and aim somewhat but I just let him do what he wants. It is amazing how much better he hits each time we go in the yard. I know he watches me because his pre shot routine is "exactly" like mine and I never told him anything, it is so funny.

I think when a child is old enough to show interest in a sport, that is when you let them play. If you force something on them they will grow to hate it.

I got each of my sons a US Kids iron and wood when they were about 6 years old and took them to the driving range with me every once in a while. At that age, they could easily imitate my lousy swing. :golf: It was just something fun to do with Dad, but they weren't interested in actually playing golf on a course until they were about 7 or 8.

I think when a child is old enough to show interest in a sport, that is when you let them play. If you force something on them they will grow to hate it.

I agree with this. I don't think it's a bad idea to introduce a young kid to golf if it is something the old man likes to do. But don't force it on them.

I agree with this. I don't think it's a bad idea to introduce a young kid to golf if it is something the old man likes to do. But don't force it on them.

Both my parents golf, but it was my mother who introduced me to golf as a child, not my father - he didn't have the patience. My mother gave me her old clubs and drove me to lessons and the course to play. She also took me out to play with her.

Exactly. When they show interest then teach them. Don't force it on them or they will play for a season and then quit.

If when I have kids they want to play sports, i'll try and push them for the contact sports first......so they can see what team work is like, make friends, etc.......so they don't get too nerdy to fast ;)

Boo had her first lesson on her seventh birthday. The Kid might have been younger--he's very tall and more of a natural athlete. As preschoolers, they had some Fisher Price plastic golf set, but that really doesn't count.

Back