The 2014-15 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said it before. The general issue of player compensation in CFB is murky. But not allowing a player to profit of of his own image is nonsensical.

Too bad you won't be at Kinderlou next week. I'm currently studying Contracts and Agency Law in Business Law for my masters program. The whole NCAA is interesting to say the least. I'd have loved to have chatted with you about all this.

UGA has finally filed for reinstatement for Gurley. Sorry Muschamp....

In fairness, GA was going to throttle UF even without Gurley, so I don't think the apology is really necessary. :beat-up:

In fairness, GA was going to throttle UF even without Gurley, so I don't think the apology is really necessary. :beat-up:
Frankly, UGA could give Gurley to UF and still win.

Still way less than SEC athletes receive but it's a start.

Well to be fair, less than football and basketball players anyway. :wink:

"Why do I only get $10k when practice squad Joe over there gets $10k and I lead the NCAA in some such category? I want more."

I don't know the solution. Its a very slippery slope.

"Why do I only get $10k when practice squad Joe over there gets $10k and I lead the NCAA in some such category? I want more."

I don't know the solution. Its a very slippery slope.

If it sticks, it's the beginning of the end of college athletics.

Sounds like it's only scholarship players.

That won't last. Someone on the women's field-hockey team will sue.

Exactly. Title 9 will be an issue certainly.

Exactly. Title 9 will be an issue certainly.

Don't women get as many scholarships as men? So if it's all scholarship players, how would title 9 apply?

Don't women get as many scholarships as men? So if it's all scholarship players, how would title 9 apply?

They'll have to be paid equally. I have my doubts that the schools will be excited to fork over the same $ to a female golf team member as they do their Heisman candidate QB.

And when the schools find a way around it, the girls are going to be pissed and sue.

Like he said, slippery slope. Once this is approved, what's next? Someone will always want more than they've been given. Should we retroactively pay players from the past because without them, there would be no present? Sounds dumb.....but when it comes to cash people will not hesitate to throw their hat in the ring. This will just ruin college sports.

There has been a stipend of sorts in the past that was fine and I'd be ok with going back to that thinking , but 10k per athlete is ridiculous.

I love the NFL, but I don't need it on Saturdays too.

Part of that 10K supposedly is to cover the full cost of education. I'm completely fine with that, scholarship should've been that way all along. The rest of the money bothers me. When this whole discussion started it was about giving the players a little extra money. Fine. But now it's morphed into something way more. The NCAA basketball and football programs are well on the way to just becoming minor-league systems. I don't like that at all. We are super Close to a time when kids will choose schools based on how much money is going to end up in their pockets. That just seems like the exact opposite of what college sports is supposed to be.

Do we really think 10k a year is a crazy amount? With no other income you are hardly going to be living high on the Hog for that amount.

Do we really think 10k a year is a crazy amount? With no other income you are hardly going to be living high on the Hog for that amount.

I don't think that it is the 10k amount that has people alarmed, but the precedent that it is setting for the future regardless of current implementation. I know the current situation has some major issues, but is this the right answer? Only time will tell.

I'd like to know how much of that is effectively an accounting thing where the money just stays w/ the school to cover the full cost of the education (i.e., books, etc.). But let's say 1/2 of that is money in the kid's pocket. 9 month school year means @$550 a month. Remember, housing and food are already covered for these kids. So yeah, that seems like a lot to me. Put it this way, if your boss came to you and said they were going to give you a raise that resulted in you taking home (i.e., post taxes) an extra $550 a month would you think it was chump change or pretty generous?

I'd like to know how much of that is effectively an accounting thing where the money just stays w/ the school to cover the full cost of the education (i.e., books, etc.). But let's say 1/2 of that is money in the kid's pocket. 9 month school year means @$550 a month. Remember, housing and food are already covered for these kids. So yeah, that seems like a lot to me. Put it this way, if your boss came to you and said they were going to give you a raise that resulted in you taking home (i.e., post taxes) an extra $550 a month would you think it was chump change or pretty generous?

I think that is a pretty average amount to live off of a month, I understand that a dorm and the cafeteria food is covered, but I don't think it's ridiculous to think some of them might not want to live on campus for the full 5 years, and probably don't want to eat at the same place everyday. Also keep in mind that these kids come from bad situations, and many of them arrive on campus with a child already.

I'm OK with not paying them, and I understand the slippery slope argument. But I don't think 10k is out of line if you are going to give every athlete a payment.

How many schools can afford this? I mean, you realize that Title IX will require them to provide the same benefits to every athlete in all sports for both genders.

They are already getting a monthly stipend for spending. They're going to school for free. If college athletes want more spending money, get off the scholarship and work a job.

Or even better, don't go to college and just work for your cash and then try to make an NFL team in a few years.

They are already getting a monthly stipend for spending. They're going to school for free. If college athletes want more spending money, get off the scholarship and work a job.

Or even better, don't go to college and just work for your cash and then try to make an NFL team in a few years.

Or accept illegal benefits to feed your kids, or you could always deal drugs. Why is it so crazy for a school to choose to take better care of their athletes, who make them a whole pile of money.

Because you touch yourself at night.

Hawks RULE!

Or accept illegal benefits to feed your kids, or you could always deal drugs. Why is it so crazy for a school to choose to take better care of their athletes, who make them a whole pile of money.

Isn't it the scholarship athlete's responsibility not to have kids they can't afford? Scholarship athletes are more than taken care of.

I think that is a pretty average amount to live off of a month, I understand that a dorm and the cafeteria food is covered, but I don't think it's ridiculous to think some of them might not want to live on campus for the full 5 years, and probably don't want to eat at the same place everyday. Also keep in mind that these kids come from bad situations, and many of them arrive on campus with a child already.

I'm OK with not paying them, and I understand the slippery slope argument. But I don't think 10k is out of line if you are going to give every athlete a payment.

Athletes currently have the option to live off site and eat where they want. They get a monthly check to cover those expenses. Most choose this option. The new money is just extra pocket cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back