Golf club feel-varies highly between brands or?

bigswinger83

Reaction score
Handicap
So I recently bought a set of TaylorMade RSi1 irons. They hit beautifully, and contact with the ball feels soft as butter. They are a pleasure to hit.

The guy at dicks (saw me coming a mile away) then proceeded to sell me a set of Titlelist wedges, a 52, a 56 and a 60. Because they are the latest, greatest, etc. etc. He told me about how Spieth had just hit one in the water with the very club at the Masters (told him I would likely be doing the same at some point this summer.) Anyway, I hit great with the wedges, but they are hard as a rock. They feel completely different than the TaylorMade's. It's night and day. The TaylorMades hit soft, and the Titleists are hard and I feel the vibration come up the shaft into my hands when I hit the ball. I guess if I had to pick i'd say i like the feel of the TM's a little better (being softer) but the truth is I like the Titleists as well and hit just fine with them.

Is it because they are wedges, or is there really this big a difference between brands? Or is the difference more noticeable with some brands than with others? Just thought i'd ask because all my clubs are TaylorMade but these three wedges and they hit so different. Just found it interesting as someone who is getting back into the game. Thanks!

Weighting in the clubs is different, which will affect feel. The materials are different, that will affect feel.

The biggest factor in feel, for me anyways, is quality of strike.

if we were talking taylormade blades vs titleist wedges, that might be more apples to apples. but the rsi1 is a cavity back with speed slots and face slots and all kinds of different construction. kinda like comparing your driver feel to the iron feel.

your irons are cavity back and your wedges are blades right?

edit: ^^ beat me to it :)

I try to only compare like to like hard to compare CB irons to blade wedges
I do fill differences in woods especially and i prefer the feel that i get in some brands over others

It depends on the wedges I think. I have both Taylormade and Titleist wedges in the bag and all are similar blade styles and similar grinds and while there is a difference in feel it isn't huge.

Got it. It must be the cavity back /blade difference, which makes sense. To me the rsi1s don't look as much cavity backs as many other clubs so that's probably why it slipped my mind to think about it that way. Construction type And slots are also a big factor. Thanks!

Weighting in the clubs is different, which will affect feel. The materials are different, that will affect feel.

The biggest factor in feel, for me anyways, is quality of strike.

Agreed, every club feels great to me when I hit it out of the center.

I also don't think Vokey wedges feel that soft. If ur looking for that "butter" feel on the wedge u should look at Mizuno, Fourteen, or the new Hogan wedges

It's really all of those things, but most importantly, the Vokeys are a hunk of cast metal.

Your TM Irons are also cast, but they're also cavity back and more importantly have material in the slots and in the cavity back that are used to create a softer feel. If you had some Titleist AP1s instead of the TM irons you'd feel the same differences compared to the Vokeys even though both are Titleist.

Cavity backs without any of the polymer badges would feel closer still to the Vokeys.

If you want that feel like your irons there are wedges that come with sets or cavity back wedges, but they have their tradeoffs like everything.

Give the Mizuno wedges a hit, you won't know if you like them until you try them......

Cast/forged has nothing to do with it...btw...IMO...

That's odd. The new SM6 wedges are the smoothest I've ever hit. Hmm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Placebo effect a lot of times. If you hit most clubs square and in the zone its going to feel soft and smooth. But I would argue from my perspective from hitting casts and forged clubs it doesn't matter too much.

I didn't feel like my Mizuno JPX EZ were nearly as soft and smooth, especially on slight off hits as my current clubs. They were both "forged"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Placebo effect a lot of times. If you hit most clubs square and in the zone its going to feel soft and smooth. But I would argue from my perspective from hitting casts and forged clubs it doesn't matter too much.

I didn't feel like my Mizuno JPX EZ were nearly as soft and smooth, especially on slight off hits as my current clubs. They were both "forged"

Well yea ur playing Miura's now that's expected

Well yea ur playing Miura's now that's expected
Just arguing that even two forged clubs can feel leagues apart. I would say they are the softesr clubs around, but that would be naive since I haven't played every club ever made!

It could be a ball. Did you use same ball when you tested? There are some balls that feels like a rock.

Id say its more the technology of the club. Your Vokeys are classic blade wedges that dont have a whole lot of new tech in the them, whereas your TMAGs have all kinds of tech that make them forgiving and make them feel soft.
Now, to answer your question, do different brands feel different? Sure they do. They all use different weighting and different tech in the head to make the club sound different, which makes it feel different. I played Mizunos, Nikes, TMAGs, Titleists, Bridgestones, Clevelands and Hogans and they all feel slightly different. Its all in the sound that the clubhead makes though and the tech used in the clubhead. Theres a lot of GI clubs out there that actually arent soft at all but are designed to sound soft, so they feel soft. Sound is feel.

Back