Nike Vapor Speed Irons Preview

They do look goodand Nike seems to be making a big effort ith them, but there is only a very limited shaft selection with them...for instance only KBS is tour 90..no 'regular' tour or C Taper. Then only Project x or dynamic gold. No nippons. Whereas pro combo/pros have a much wider range. One retailer said the limited selection was because of parallel tip offerings only

They do look goodand Nike seems to be making a big effort ith them, but there is only a very limited shaft selection with them...for instance only KBS is tour 90..no 'regular' tour or C Taper. Then only Project x or dynamic gold. No nippons. Whereas pro combo/pros have a much wider range. One retailer said the limited selection was because of parallel tip offerings only

Fwiw you can order them with any of those shafts. Were told they could/would shim special orders.

TT Dynalite 105 steel

That's the same shaft that was in the Coverts, right? I really liked how that felt - a bit more heft than usual in the GI offering.

I've reached out to Nike about how to order just a 5i since only full sets are available on their site right now for pre-order.

I'm having a hard time finding it, but has anyone seen the loft chart for these and the Pro Combo? Want to make sure it should flow okay before ordering. Lofts aren't on nikegolf.com yet.

Thanks drp3434!

Pro Combo 6i is 30* while the Speed 5i is 28*.

These may be a little tougher to combo than I originally thought. While only a 2* difference, I'm thinking that the launch of the Speed's may make up for the lack of loft differential if that makes sense.

5 iron is 24 Cookie. Might see if they'll bend it for you, though maybe it'll gap ok without.

5 iron is 24 Cookie. Might see if they'll bend it for you, though maybe it'll gap ok without.

Thanks, I misread the chart. 24* is actually worse as I think comparing against the Pro Combo at 30* that I will actually see more of a 20 yard gap.

I have to think the launch/design of the Speeds will mean that distance would be longer than the PC at same loft. Add in a 6* gap, and a 15-20y gap persists.

Thinking the Speed 6i may actually flow better after the PC 6i in my case. If distance is longer loft for loft with Speeds vs PC's then a 2* loft difference may equate to 10y on course which is what I want.

Make sure to take length into account as well. Not sure if there's a difference.

Is the Speed forged? The body at least. If so, you can have that bent. I think more than anything the face might be a factor in ball speed if it's thinner, but I bet if you got them staggered correctly in loft and length you'd be fine. Maybe a couple yards difference.

Make sure to take length into account as well. Not sure if there's a difference.

Is the Speed forged? The body at least. If so, you can have that bent. I think more than anything the face might be a factor in ball speed if it's thinner, but I bet if you got them staggered correctly in loft and length you'd be fine. Maybe a couple yards difference.

I don't think the Speed is forged. The PC 6i is 1 inch shorter than the Speed 5i. Sounds like bending the 5i to 26* would be the ideal option.

Took a few swings with these yesterday and it was OK. I preferred the ballflight and feel to the Big Bertha irons in comparison.

Well so much for my plan. This is a bit surprising and disappointing. Regarding my inquiry to purchase an individual iron:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Nike.com. At this time it looks like we are only offering them in the full sets and not individually. However what I can do for you is take feedback for you and provide it to our production team letting them know you'd like the option to order them individually in the future. We rely heavily on our consumers feedback for any and all changes we make.

Thank you for choosing Nike.com and have a wonderful day.

Well so much for my plan. This is a bit surprising and disappointing. Regarding my inquiry to purchase an individual iron:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Nike.com. At this time it looks like we are only offering them in the full sets and not individually. However what I can do for you is take feedback for you and provide it to our production team letting them know you'd like the option to order them individually in the future. We rely heavily on our consumers feedback for any and all changes we make.

Thank you for choosing Nike.com and have a wonderful day.
Not the first company that is doing that. Methinks there are going to be some upset people by this trend.

Not the first company that is doing that. Methinks there are going to be some upset people by this trend.

I have to wonder if it's because they are still preorder. If not, I'll be searching ebay for a 5i soon.

The website is garbage but every time I've called Nike golf, those folks go way above and beyond. Call on Monday.

The website is garbage but every time I've called Nike golf, those folks go way above and beyond. Call on Monday.

Yeah - I would second this advice. Every person I've talked in CS at Nike Golf has been fantastic.

Interesting that they weakened the lofts vs the covert on several of the mid irons.

I hunted down a 6i at the oven to hit, stock stiff.

These setup nice w the offset to my eyes. And the 6 did what it was supposed to, high and long, and no awkward sound. Will be interesting to get more feedback on these down the road.
Not finding much out there about these. They are definitely different than what you are reviewing but could you expand on what you have written about these?

Not finding much out there about these. They are definitely different than what you are reviewing but could you expand on what you have written about these?

I got about 15 swings with them, but let me get to my laptop and I'll get some pics up as well.

I got about 15 swings with them, but let me get to my laptop and I'll get some pics up as well.

Thats 15 more than most. I dont find any reviews from those that have hit them anywhere. Thanks!!

Biggest thing for me with them inn hand is that yes, they are a GI iron, the topline is thicker, the sole is wider, but the offset is not drastic at all. Its the same as the pro-combo's in fact.

Turf interaction was good with the 6i I got to try out, most notably the shaft felt good in coordination with the head and definitely aided the launch as intended for the Speeds. Feel was good, nothing wonky there, which I was honestly curious about going into hitting them. As mentioned, I got a high ball flight from them, no ballooning. Distance was ok, not the longest I have hit, but longer than the Pro Combo's head to head, which is expected. Got some off the toe and the toe forgiveness I look for in a set like this appeared to be there. Not enough of a sample to get into how good it is all across the club, but, nothing stuck out as horrible either. But this is an incredibly small sample size.

DSC_0039-L.jpg

DSC_0040-L.jpg

DSC_0041-L.jpg

Thanks James. How about the overall size. Guessing not svelt but was it chunky? The Covert 2.0 hide their forgiveness well, do these? Really like lack of offset. Happen to have a shot of the sole?

Found more pics on the post from the NYC event. Thanks Again

Last edited:
Hit these on Saturday as well as some other irons and boy is my wife going to be mad at me. For me these irons performed the best and I loved the feel of them. Luckily I have $500 from my men's Club I need to spend before the end of the year.

Hit these on Saturday as well as some other irons and boy is my wife going to be mad at me. For me these irons performed the best and I loved the feel of them. Luckily I have $500 from my men's Club I need to spend before the end of the year.
Nice! What did you test the against and what made them stand out for you?

Tested them against the JPX 850s and the g15s. The nikes felt solid on contact where as the 850s felt heavy. I hit the nikes 5 yards farther than the others. I was only able to hit the stock nikes and a+1 in the others. I usually play a +1.5 yet I still felt more control and distance with the nikes.

Back