Bad experience at the home course today

phenom4hire

Reaction score
Handicap
18-19
This will be a little long winded so as to include all the details. Also please feel free to point out if I acted like an idiot or making something out of nothing.

The story begins at approximately 330 pm today which was the time I wrapped up my last job for the day. I haven't been able to play much the last couple of weeks because my workload has increased a bit and Ive had some other stuff going on. Well, Ive had the itch to go play for a solid week now and knowing the time I figured I would have no problem squeezing in 9 holes this afternoon. Get my gear and make it to the course at approximately 4-4:05 pm. I have played numerous rounds over the last few years from 4/5/530 and even teed off at around 6 one time. Never been an issue as I play fast and always have plenty of daylight left and make sure the cart is back to the clubhouse on time.

Thinking nothing of it, I walk in and tell the counter attendant that I would like to play nine holes with a cart. Usually comes out to around 20 with tax. She tells me that their new policy is no more carts after 4 pm. I was pretty polite and kindly asked if she would make an exception since it was only a few minutes after. "No I really can't do it. We've been so busy lately and sometimes people don't have the carts back in time". I could have pointed out that the parking lot only had 3-4 cars in it and that I hadn't seen anyone at the practice area or first two holes but I refrained. I said "Ok, no problem, I will just walk nine then". She then explains "Sorry we don't allow walkers on Thursday-Sunday anymore. I was a bit perturbed and asked why that was and she said to accommodate the afternoon groups for the members at the club. She explained that the ladies group would be teeing off at 5 to which I countered with, "Well to be honest, I would probably already be to hole 6 or 7 by then and I know that don't play very fast as Ive been stuck behind their groups before. Again she says "Sorry, I can't let you play." I was getting frustrated and countered one last time with, "So you guys close at 7 and its a little after 4. You won't let me take a cart and you won't let me walk, even though I could be done either way before 6. It doesn't make much sense to me and you guys are turning away guaranteed revenue." Shes not budging and Paige the super for the course goes home pretty early, so I can't talk to him about it. Their is another lady who works at the front desk who would have probably let me, because she knows me and how I play, but I could be wrong with the whole new policy thing. I settle for a range basket and head to the practice area.

I took my time and hit my range balls and move to the putting green. Its probably around 445-5 at this point and I haven't seen another person at the practice are nor the first tee box. So I start working through my short game routine and finish and then work through it again backwards. Its getting to be around 6 at this point and I see three ladies on their carts pull up to the first tee. The group was 3 PEOPLE. Ill be honest, I was getting pretty pissed off at this point but just continued on with my thing. I was wrapping up around 630 with everything and headed back to my car when I see two guys pull up to the first tee on a club owned golf cart. I decided to make a little detour to the clubhouse after witnessing this. I walk in and explain that the large group of ladies I had been warned about teed off an hour later than she said and that I just saw two other guys pull up to the tee box on one of their carts. "Oh well they are members, they will just leave the cart here, blah blah blah blah. I was like whats the freaking difference. I pay full price, and they pay a dollar. I then preceded to remind her that the only reason the club was thriving is that they moved from private only to semi-private and started to allow daily fee golfers. I explained that I spend just as much if not more than some of their members and don't appreciate being treated like a second-class customer. Finally I told her that I would be getting in touch with Paige to explain the whole ordeal and get his thoughts on it. Well she started to change her tune a bit after that, but it was already to late to do anything about it.

Its ok though, I got them where it hurts. Im the type of person if I see a bunch of empty baskets on the range, Ill collect them and take them to the clubhouse on my way out. Well there were several baskets laying about, so I just stacked them neatly at the end of the range. Didn't even carry them inside. That will show them.

Seriously, am I overreacting? I wish I had more options around me but I don't. Until such that I move to a more golf friendly location my hands are tied. I will say it left a sour taste in my mouth and made me not want to spend any money there for awhile. I don't know, I just feel like the whole thing was stupid and unreasonable but maybe Im being unreasonable.

It sounds like she was being super unreasonable. Hopefully you can talk to the general manager and/or head pro of the club and common sense will prevail.

Is the policy that members are allowed carts or no carts in general?

Sounds like a stupid policy to begin with and I would take it up with higher authority instead of someone who has no influence on policy.

I don't think you are over-reacting at all.

If a course would rather have no one on it, than have people pay to play (and want to play), then spend your money elsewhere.

Luckily up here there are no such restrictions. Everyone and their dog could go play (seriously one of the courses advertises as bring your dog with you).

I'm one of those guys who just wants to know the rules and wants them to be applied equally. Their REAL policy seems to be "Members only after 4 pm Thursday-Sunday." Tell me that and I'm annoyed, but I understand the rule. Treat me the way you were treated, and I'm at least as ticked as you. Around here, most places offer twilight rates beginning at around 5:30, after all the leagues have teed off. Daylight is much scarcer up here, but I can't believe this course super (or the board, or whomever is calling the shots) doesn't get it. If you talk with Paige and they change their policy - or at least clarify it - that will tell you something. If there is no change it will tell you something else. The way you've described them, their new policy will probably be "No range time by non-members after 4 pm." Bucket karma.

You weren't out of line, but it's too bad some entry-level kid will have to carry those buckets back rather than someone in charge.

I think, based upon your story, that you have every right to be pissed.

I would have a nice discussion with the general manager and the head pro, explain what happened, and get their take on things. If nothing else, it will clarify (for you) whatever the "new policy" happens to be.

Im thinking this has to be something that just recently went into effect as Ive never had a problem walking or teeing off a bit later before. I know that they are wanting to cut out walkers on the weekends because in their words "its just to busy" but I hadn't heard anything about Thursday or Friday and Im out there quite a bit. I just don't understand the 4 o clock time, with it getting dark around 830 now and the clubhouse closing at 7. It makes not sense to me. I could have literally played 18 today nevermind 9 and had the cart back before 7. Its aggravating because all of my other choices are at least 30-40 miles away, which would eliminate any chance for a quick afternoon round. Time to start looking for a new place to live...ha ha.

Sounds like they had an issue with carts coming back late (after all the staff left) and didn't think it throgh very well to come up with a solution. we get dark around 8:30 here. We let the last cart to out around 7pm That's almost enough time to get 9 in. But we tell them when it needs to be back and handle any offenders individually, not just refuse people in general.

You werent out of line, and I would definitley express your concerns to the decision maker there.

I see nothing wrong with how you reacted. I'm sure if you talk to the manager and explain the situation, they may give you a free round for your troubles.

Sounds like you handled yourself professionally in the matter. I didn't hear any swear words. :D It doesn't hurt to talk to a higher up because who knows how many paying customers have been turned away with a deal like that. Especially when you approached them about being a walker. It doesn't make sense when the coast is basically clear.

No, no swearing from me. I find that it normally just escalates things and unless thats the angle Im looking for, I prefer to use courtesy first. Im sure my toned conveyed my thoughts on the matter as well.

Sounds like you handled yourself better than I would have. Hopefully the Super can explain this new policy.

That is brutal. Sounds like whoever was working was given a rule but doesn't have the common sense to be able to make a decision so she stands behind the rule.
You handled it as well as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don't get me wrong, it really sounds like you handled it respectfully while still letting them know your frustration. but that gal was in a tough spot. she probably felt like she was doing the right thing by enforcing what seems to be a new rule. get caught violating the rule so soon after implementation and she is sure to catch an earful. I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a bummer. I'm sure they could have let you out. Makes no sense that they won't take the revenue when they can get it. Especially since they weren't busy at the time. Sucks that you don't have any other choices. Hopefully Paige can at least talk them in to making an except for you if you call ahead of time. By the way, did you call ahead? All the courses around here are always busy. Can't just walk on any where here this time a year without a tee time. But that's where I live.

Yeah I wouldn't place any blame with the girl, she was enforcing a terrible rule.

But it sounds like she may not fully understand the new rule. As someone said essentially the way it was applied, the new rule is members only after 4.

It's just bad policy and customer service. Sucks you had to experience that

I was getting pissed reading your story. Nothing like looking forward to a round of golf then this crap happening.
You're not over reacting in my opinion because you have a history at that course.
You should definitely talk to the GM tomorrow and tell him this story.

let me get this straight. a golf course...worried about carts coming back late....in the summer......that is loltastic.

jfc.....

agreed that it's not the girls fault. just incompetent management.

It sounds like the girl was doing her job and you took your frustration out on the wrong person. She was doing what she was told.

I would be pretty annoyed but those are the issues when you aren't a member at a semi private. I doubt I would play the course after that.

1) i think you were fine with your behavior

2) that is ridiculous

3) i agree that there are some rules that are ridiculously stupid and have no logic to back it up

This was ridiculous and a real shame if this place is an only option for you. I don't think you acted badly at all. I would think the worker was only doing what she thought she understood as what they wanted her to do. That being said I don't think you acted bad towards her. You need to vent the frustrations with this and she is there so what else are you suppose to do? Talk to the wall? And you were not even rude nor obnoxious to her anyway. I would have been very upset and said a lot more and with a much more annoyed tone. I would have said to her that I understand this is not her fault but still let her know everything I felt I would need to let her know about this.

But I suppose this is the problem with a private club even if open to the public. Apparently they only want the public when it suits them and have no regard at all for those public paying customers and couldn't care to show any care for the support you have brought them. I mean I just don't know. Private is private and a democracy or fairness is never going to be a norm. I suppose there are things that the members just want for themselves even if it makes absolutely no sense what so ever. You can speak to whomever you want and can speak to and I think you should. But just be prepared for an answer you may not want to here and also one in which still makes no practical sense at all except for sake of power and status. Unfortunate and would really tick me off but what can you do.

It sounds like the girl was doing her job and you took your frustration out on the wrong person. She was doing what she was told.

she probably was but she is there to deal with all who come as part of that (her) job. He has to complain to someone and he wasn't nasty nor disrespectful with her anyway. She is there and she is representing the course and its rules/policies to customers as she deals with customers and so she then most certainly is in position to also hear the feedback from the customers those rules create. Thats not disrespectful (if done properly) and a customer may even let her know they realize she doesn't make the rules while still at the same time they also let her know how they feel about it all.

Nothing wrong with that imo. You simply talk to her with respect and offer enough good feedback of your frustrations and as to why and make it understandable to her so that she can relay that frustration back to superiors. One certainly can let her understand that without actually personally attacking her for it. And yes that can both be done at the same time. Imo that just comes with the territory of her job.

Just someone following the "letter of the law" instead of understanding the intent. She probably won't be employed there very long if she doesn't change. I think you were fine, much better than I would have been. I don't have a lot of patience for bureacucrats!

Back