2014 Callaway Big Bertha Irons Review Thread

steve, I'd recommend staying the course for a bit, especially if you already have the X2Hot. Yes, you might gain a little forgiveness, but I can't say that it would be enough to change the consistency you are looking for in your game. That just comes from time, lessons, and practice.

I'm also a X2 Hot gamer, I hit the Big Bertha's yesterday and yes they are longer that the X2 Hot, it's closer to a 1/2 a club longer (they were on average 5-7 yards longer than my X2 Hots). Now this was in a simulator, so take that with a grain of salt. Slightly bulkier at address, but mishits (especially off the toe) were no where near as penal as my current gamers. So if forgiveness is what you seek, here is your club. All in all, solid work by Callaway. With all of that being said, I just can't justify switching from the X2 Hots at this time. I also hit the Big Bertha hybrids, and it was love at first swing, (I have the 3H on order), if you are looking at the combo set the ease of hitting the hybrids in this line is definitely a plus.

What I am pondering is perhaps just getting the 4i to replace my Nike 20.5* hybrid, the long irons were crazy easy to hit.

Dax

Good info JDax. Similar to what I saw yesterday on the range.

I'm also a X2 Hot gamer, I hit the Big Bertha's yesterday and yes they are longer that the X2 Hot, it's closer to a 1/2 a club longer (they were on average 5-7 yards longer than my X2 Hots). Now this was in a simulator, so take that with a grain of salt. Slightly bulkier at address, but mishits (especially off the toe) were no where near as penal as my current gamers. So if forgiveness is what you seek, here is your club. All in all, solid work by Callaway. With all of that being said, I just can't justify switching from the X2 Hots at this time. I also hit the Big Bertha hybrids, and it was love at first swing, (I have the 3H on order), if you are looking at the combo set the ease of hitting the hybrids in this line is definitely a plus.

What I am pondering is perhaps just getting the 4i to replace my Nike 20.5* hybrid, the long irons were crazy easy to hit.

Dax

Never really hit the X2Hot enough to compare, so thanks for that.

I do wish I'd seen that extra two clubs, but I didn't exactly expect it.

The more I hear about these, the more intriguing they sound. Tighter gaps through the middle and long irons is nice to hear.

Maybe get these for 5,6,7 irons, and keep my apex short irons? Ponder time.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5
That's exactly what I have in mind. But I'm worried between the gap between the two sets.

Tried these today before my round. First thought at address: slightly bulky but not as large as I thought in other photos. More than playable.

Launch on these were on the mid to mid high side for me, with plenty of height and carry to them. It took a couple swings to get used to coming from heavier shafts but it didn't get long to get adapted.

Distance on these were long, but I didn't think overly long or much farther than my current irons. What I did notice though was that it was tough to mishit these, and even the really bad ones weren't so bad off as one would think

Testing versus the RSi? Any thoughts comparing the two for feel/forgiveness/distance?

Which shafts were you coming from? These are ~110g if I remember correctly.

Testing versus the RSi? Any thoughts comparing the two for feel/forgiveness/distance?

Which shafts were you coming from? These are ~110g if I remember correctly.

Feel I give the nod towards these, the ball looked faster off the face than the RSI's.

Forgiveness, I was catching these pretty low on the face and was still getting a good high ball flight, but the RSI's are a little more bottom groove forgiving if I recall. I'd say slight edge to the RSI there. Not much of one.

Distance, they were comparable to my SLDR's and RSI's. I didn't feel 2 clubs longer, which is a happy thing for me because I don't want a 9i going 7i far.

Iron shafts in the RSI's are sub 100, so weight wise these were heavier but felt really good. A bit of heft in the head, which is a feel I personally gravitate more to.

You thought these felt better? Yikes for the RSi then lol.

Thanks for the thoughts buddy.

You thought these felt better? Yikes for the RSi then lol.

Thanks for the thoughts buddy.

These have some heft to them while the RSI is a bit lighter feeling. That may have a lot to do with it as I just want to swing the RSI's hard

Ah I thought you meant feel as in sound rather than balance/weight.

Ah I thought you meant feel as in sound rather than balance/weight.

OH, I should have clarified better. Sound wise, I don't recall anything about it that was memorable. I would have to hit them again to give you decent feedback

First 18 holes under my belt.

At first, for the front nine, I kept thinking ok if these clubs are longer let me try and kill it......

Wrong. This is golf.

But then I settled down and just started making smooth buttery swings. And guess what. That's what these clubs were built for.

50% knock down shots. Smooth one bounce. Stick it on the greens. .

PW to 6i.

Mishits get consistent distances.

Which means less stressful more focused shots..

But feel is totally a minus 10...

I miss my X2 HOT's. What a different feel.

And Apex. The best

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Is it correct that these in stock steel are 110 gram shafts and do they have a stock option in sub 100 gram steel shafts?

85 grams speed shafts

Stock

I hit the 7 iron earlier today on the Watts sim. 192 yard carry. That's just ridiculous. Lol

I hit the 7 iron earlier today on the Watts sim. 192 yard carry. That's just ridiculous. Lol

What's your normal 7 iron?

I was taking my usual Saturday morning lessons. Hitting the 185 yard flag shot after shot. Half swing as per teacher instructions. Instructor grabs my club to check. Even he could not believe it was a 7 iron.

Thats solid Canes. Next time we tee it up, you can try them out on the course.

2014 Callaway Big Bertha Irons Review Thread

How was the launch angle?

How was the launch angle?
I didn't catch that bud. I should've asked the guy to slow down the stats because they only show it for 2 secs.

FWIW I hit my irons fairly high. I bet outdoors it's more like 178 - 182 yd range.

Switched up my set. Now PW 9 8 IRONS X2 HOT. 7 6 IRONS BIG BERTHA.

WEDGES SW LW.

6 5 4 3 HYBRIDS X2 HOT'S.

FW X2 HOT'S 3 DEEP

Forgiveness where I need it. Feel where it counts.

Distance a plus on the longer holes

Finesse around the greens

I've found myself unable to stop thinking about these as of late....some of the reasons are obvious.

- Up to 2 clubs longer
- Maximum forgiveness

Those are 2 things that I really do need in a set of irons. I miss both heel and toe while being a fairly short/standard hitter length wise (150y 7i).

The shaft selection at no upcharge is stellar: TT XP95, Tour-V, Tour-V 90, and UST Recoil.

A hybrid combo set already blended in with the irons? Yes, please.

This could be the most excited I've been to try a set of irons in awhile, as much as I like looking at thin/sexy, etc - my game needs say otherwise and more towards a set build like this.

I've found myself unable to stop thinking about these as of late....some of the reasons are obvious.

- Up to 2 clubs longer
- Maximum forgiveness

Those are 2 things that I really do need in a set of irons. I miss both heel and toe while being a fairly short/standard hitter length wise (150y 7i).

The shaft selection at no upcharge is stellar: TT XP95, Tour-V, Tour-V 90, and UST Recoil.

A hybrid combo set already blended in with the irons? Yes, please.

This could be the most excited I've been to try a set of irons in awhile, as much as I like looking at thin/sexy, etc - my game needs say otherwise and more towards a set build like this.

I am right there with you. I expect to break my own record of 3 hybrids in the bag at one time. For what these can do I think they look pretty good.

Back