Do Dress Codes bother you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But why not just pack a couple polos and khaki shorts when you travel, it really isn't hard.

I just think golf is built around respect, respect for the rules, fellow players, the course. In our society one way you show respect us through the way you dress. That's why we wear nice clothes for church, court, funerals, and other events where we are paying respect.

I'm not saying you can't show respect for the course etc in jeans and a time and a t shirt. I've played at courses either no or unenforced dress codes, and have played with some great dudes. But there is no doubt in my mind that overall etiquette and treatment of the course is better at the ones with a dress code.

What you comment is very much in line with what I been explaining (in my lengthy posts).
Its not always going to be the case. there will always be idiots and misbehaved people no matter what. We can always come up with examples especially at places where alcohol is involved as that in itself changes human behavior very much but perhaps another subject.
But in general we will find as a society that along with up dressing there will usually be a raised level among all the traits you mention. The establishment simply wants us to know that they expect a raised level of behavior. Whether that's a restaurant, or a social club, or even someones home, or a golf course. When a certain level of etiquette and behavior are desired, sending the message through dress codes is part of how they try to accomplish it because it is known that the two do to some degree go hand in hand..

I have a brother in law. He started playing kind of later in life after the kids were older. Loves the game and plays in the 70's. He started off on a local course in his small hometown and he wore cut off jeans, sneakers and any shirt. I had not played with him in awhile so when I was home back we teed it up. He was dressed in golf shorts, a polo, golf shoes, ect. After the round we were having a beer and I wondered out loud when he became so GQ. He explained that the more he played, practiced,attended tour events and learned about the game he simply felt better dressing for the part. His course would still allow the cut offs but he felt an obligation to look like a golfer.
He is dealing with cancer and is having a rough time. Still after chemo has worn off he plays and plays well.I frankly don't care if he plays in cutoffs or golf shorts I just want him to enjoy this wonderful game.It is makes him happier to dress for golf, go for it. If it makes you happy to play in jeans and your course allows it, go for it.Just don't complain about rules that aren't yours to change.Do not confuse your rights with their rules.Play by the rules, play fast and have fun. It ain't that hard.

So now someone has to spend more money on an already expensive game to appease you? Seems pretty snobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is a dress code "snobby"? If a golf club wants to exude a certain look, they should. Economics and demand will determine the validity of that decision. But to flip it around, what is so hard about buying a set of clothes that these days cost the same as more casual clothes? As many have pointed out, it's easy to find something that meets the golf dress code of any club and is very affordable. Just because someone doesn't want to do it, that doesn't mean the golf course needs to change for them. If they are unwilling to spend $20-40 for a pair of golf pants and a polo, the golf club is not the problem. They aren't asking people to go find a three-piece suit. This is making a mountain out of a molehill.

If you have concerns that a club has a dress code that you are unable or unwilling to follow, call ahead and ask. That takes out all the uncertainty.

For me it's not about money. I own golf clothes, but jeans and a t-shirt are my casual attire. If I'm playing a casual round, I would prefer to where my jeans and the courses I play allow that.

Ok let me pose this question to you since your so afraid to scare golfers away, what if a golfer wanted to hit 2 balls on every hole since he wants to get 2 rounds in in one since he could only play once a week. Would you want to play behind him? NO I'm sure you wouldn't but that's what he wants to do so why discourage him from the game.

I do this all the time. And I have no problem staying behind someone who does as long as they keep pace or let me play through.

You are comparing a way to make to living/money to hobby/way to spend money. There is no comparing the two. It's apples in oranges. Quit trying to put the round peg on the square hole.

Nearly everything in life has has a dress code associated with it for me. My school, the Army, my previous job and my current job. These are decisions that must be made based on what you want to do in life. No individual has to play golf. There is an expense associated with it. If you're not willing to pay for it, you don't play. I associate the clothing as an expense just like clubs and balls. Noone is forced to play anywhere that has a dress code, just like noone is forced to take a job that requires a suit and tie or visit a restaurant that requires a jacket. If you're not willing to spend the money on either, there are still options available. McDonald's comes to mind. If you don't want to spend the money, they'll gladly accept you for both dining and employment.

Oh wait...... even they have a dress code for employees. It's a part of life and frankly I can't understand why you're so adamantly against dress codes. If you don't like the rules, don't play there and find a goat track that will let you play in cutoffs, dirty jeans or a t-shirt. It's not that difficult of a decision. $16 for black pants at Walmart and $19 for a Ben Hogan polo. Yes, I have both. $35 for the proper attire, that's the same price as a dozen decent balls.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Why is a dress code "snobby"? If a golf club wants to exude a certain look, they should. Economics and demand will determine the validity of that decision. But to flip it around, what is so hard about buying a set of clothes that these days cost the same as more casual clothes? As many have pointed out, it's easy to find something that meets the golf dress code of any club and is very affordable. Just because someone doesn't want to do it, that doesn't mean the golf course needs to change for them. If they are unwilling to spend $20-40 for a pair of golf pants and a polo, the golf club is not the problem. They aren't asking people to go find a three-piece suit. This is making a mountain out of a molehill.

If you have concerns that a club has a dress code that you are unable or unwilling to follow, call ahead and ask. That takes out all the uncertainty.

When I travel it is and get to golf it's spur of the moment golf, I type golf courses in the gps and go to the nearest. As I stated above if my money isn't good enough for them when I'm in the clothes I make the money in. Then I'm sure not going change my clothes to give me the "right" to pay you.

And yes it is snobby to exclude someone because they aren't up to your standards is "snobby"

So now someone has to spend more money on an already expensive game to appease you? Seems pretty snobby.

We are talking about the price of a dozen balls... not a big ask IMO.

It shouldnt inhibit the growth of the game. If that person isn't willing to spend the $30 bucks on a shirt and pants/golf shorts than can be worn outside of the course, then I don't see them as willing to buy clubs, balls, greens fees etc. It isn't a good excuse for not playing honestly.

Nearly everything in life has has a dress code associated with it for me. My school, the Army, my precious job and my current job. These are decisions that must be made based on what you want to do in life. No individual has to play golf. There is an expense associated with it. If you're not willing to pay for it, you don't play. I associate the clothing as an expense just like clubs and balls. Noone is forced to play anywhere that has a dress code, just like noone is forced to take a job that requires a suit and tie or visit a restaurant that requires a jacket. If you're not willing to spend the money on either, there are still options available. McDonald's comes to mind. If you don't want to spend the money, they'll gladly accept you for both dining and employment.

Oh wait...... even they have a dress code for employees. It's a part of life and frankly I can't understand why you're so adamantly against dress codes. If you don't like the rules, don't play there and find a goat track that will let you play in cutoffs, dirty jeans or a t-shirt. It's not that difficult of a decision. $16 for black pants at Walmart and $19 for a Ben Hogan polo. Yes, I have both. $35 for the proper attire, that's the same price as a dozen decent balls.

Yes, but there are golf courses that don't have a dress code, so therefore there is no need to adhere to any specific dress code. Why do some expect people to adhere to a dress code, even if the course requires no dress code?

I just asked my coworker that enjoys golf, is a solid 90s shooter but just doesn't get to golf often, if I invited him to go golfing after work but he would have to wear golf slacks/and a collared shirt would he go? He said there would be no way he go. So right there is someone who already enjoys the game turned off from going out.

No, no, 100 times no. This is not a golf problem. This is your friend's problem. If he is unwilling to do the bare minimum to conform to a standard the golf club has chosen to adhere to, that is nobody's problem but your friend's. Quit trying to blame someone else for your friend's decision making. Seriously, it's a pair of pants and a shirt.

Certainly some of this is a regional and urban vs. rural thing. Some very nice rural courses I've played have allowed denim but none of the nicer urban courses I've played have allowed jeans or shirts untucked/no belt. The private courses I've played in the Minneapolis, Milwaukee, and Chicago areas would never allow denim anywhere on the premises but my club allows denim to be worn in the bar area/casual restaurant. People in California wear jeans to big corporate jobs - I'm talking directors, VP's, and Executive VP's at the largest companies in silicon valley like Google, Apple, and Facebook. You would rarely see this in Boston, New York, or Chicago. More than half the people here wear jeans to church and t shirts in church are very common as well.

Yes, but there are golf courses that don't have a dress code, so therefore there is no need to adhere to any specific dress code. Why do some expect people to adhere to a dress code, even if the course requires no dress code?

If you read more closely, I said if you don't like the dress code, you can find somewhere that doesn't have one and play there. These aren't usually courses with the best conditions but do offer golf.

The courses here on Bragg allow jeans and that's fine. If the course allows it, I have no problem with people wearing them just as I have no issues with courses having strict dress codes. That's their decision.

I don't think anyone is saying that people need to adhere to a certain dress code for ALL courses. At least I have not interpreted that so far. But if a course chooses to have a dress code, it needs to be respected. If there is not one, then nobody should have a problem.

No, no, 100 times no. This is not a golf problem. This is your friend's problem. If he is unwilling to do the bare minimum to conform to a standard the golf club has chosen to adhere to, that is nobody's problem but your friend's. Quit trying to blame someone else for your friend's decision making. Seriously, it's a pair of pants and a shirt.

If I could like this multiple times I would. 100% the way I feel

Still waiting for all you pro-dress code golfers to give a reason why they are necessary or important...

Because the course said that you need to be dressed that way to use their establishment. That is all the explanation that is required.

If you read more closely, I said if you don't like the dress code, you can find somewhere that doesn't have one and play there. These aren't usually courses with the best conditions but do offer golf.

I don't think anyone is saying that people need to adhere to a certain dress code for ALL courses. At least I have not interpreted that so far. But if a course chooses to have a dress code, it needs to be respected. If there is not one, then nobody should have a problem.

There has been numerous posts in this thread that have alluded to the notion that jeans are never acceptable on a golf course - even when there is no dress code at the course. And there have been posts saying "golf clothes aren't expensive, they should just pony up". Well if people don't want to buy golf clothes, they don't have to, it doesn't make them any less of a golfer than someone who dresses like a tour player. There seems to be more people upset that others don't want to have to adhere to a "uniform" when they play, then there is people who say they just won't play at courses that force them to play in a "uniform".

And to be completely honest, I would rather see golfers in jeans and a t-shirt than I would seeing them in some of the clothes the guys on tour wear.

It would seem like you since you are just typing in golf into a GPS you would encounter a fair amount of rejection due to dress codes. As I have written in this thread I don't understand why the people against dress codes or perhaps not bringing your own cooler on the cart feel like they have a right to alter the course owners rules.I have worked for companies who have tightened up Casual Fridays because they got too casual.Schools have stopped young men from having their underwear hanging out of their pants.If a place has a rule you don't like you can, as you infer take your money elsewhere.
When I travel it is and get to golf it's spur of the moment golf, I type golf courses in the gps and go to the nearest. As I stated above if my money isn't good enough for them when I'm in the clothes I make the money in. Then I'm sure not going change my clothes to give me the "right" to pay you.

And yes it is snobby to exclude someone because they aren't up to your standards is "snobby"

Still waiting for all you pro-dress code golfers to give a reason why they are necessary or important...

Because the course(s) say they are.

Why is it so odd that some facilities choose to have a more strict dress code than others? It is their business, its their right to do that, its no different than no shirt, no shoes, no service at ANY restaurant.

My course has no code, I've worn jeans/chinos on course many times because I'm coming straight from work(school) to get some time in. But you bet your ass when I go to another club I take a look at the dress code and adhere to it if I want to play there, because it only makes sense. Courses are businesses and they run as such, if they have a code, they do, if they don't, they don't, and if a person doesn't like that they do then move along to somewhere else.

There has been numerous posts in this thread that have alluded to the notion that jeans are never acceptable on a golf course - even when there is no dress code at the course. And there have been posts saying "golf clothes aren't expensive, they should just pony up". Well if people don't want to buy golf clothes, they don't have to, it doesn't make them any less of a golfer than someone who dresses like a tour player. There seems to be more people upset that others don't want to have to adhere to a "uniform" when they play, then there is people who say they just won't play at courses that force them to play in a "uniform".

And to be completely honest, I would rather see golfers in jeans and a t-shirt than I would seeing them in some of the clothes the guys on tour wear.

I personally don't care what people choose to wear on the course as long as it's OK by the course. But using a dress code as an excuse as to why golf is elitist or unaffordable is ridiculous.

I personally don't care what people choose to wear on the course as long as it's OK by the course. But using a dress code as an excuse as to why golf is elitist or unaffordable is ridiculous.

I don't recall saying golf was elitist or unaffordable.

I have zero problems with dress codes. I wear golf attire 99% of the time when I golf because it's more comfortable to me to play in. However I don't expect others to be like me, and if the course allows them to wear swimming trunks, a tank, and flip flops - then who am I to say any different? They aren't affecting me one bit by wearing what makes them comfortable.

So when a restaurant says "No shirt, no shoes, no service" it's snobby because they appreciate customers walk into the door fully dressed?

Jordan,
The courses make rules and it is their right.
Their rules are not open to interpretation from you, your friend, uncle or whomever. They are rules.

I find you saying not good enough to take my money laughable, and sounds like you think the rules either dont or shouldn't apply to you simply because you have the funds to play there.

Walk into the finest restaurant in the clothes you make your money in, and tell me if you walk out of there hungry.
It's their rules, and their right to refuse service.

I don't know why the "growing the game" argument keeps coming up, it seems like one who don't want to respect the course rules, or interpret them as they seem fit is a poor ambassador to the game.
This is a gentleman's game, gentlemen follow rules, not interpret them to their liking.

Want to play munis? Jeans are probably ok, and one might even not be surprised to see someone wearing jeans and tshirt, even though they are dressed in golf attire.
Want to play a better course? Dress the part.

Tell the nice courses your bit about "growing the game" and ask why "your money isn't good enough" and they may just tell you it's their rules.
Follow them.

And I have no doubt they could be worn for more than just golf - I know the golf trousers and shirts that I have, I could wear them to go out for a meal or even wear them as casual wear, especially the polo shirts I have (and I do)

Arguing that clothing is expensive is just an excuse to me. Yes, you can pay a lot for the clothing, but you don't have to

So when a restaurant says "No shirt, no shoes, no service" it's snobby because they appreciate customers walk into the door fully dressed?

I still can't believe McD's threw me out for wearing the same top RF's girl was wearing. So snobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back