Callaway Assembles their clubs in Mexico.

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I didn't realize this until I smashed in the face of my X2 2deep 2 weeks ago. I checked the tracking today because it's been 13 days since I talked to Callaway and their very professional customer service agent told me they would send out a new one that would arrive in 5-7 business days. The tracking shows that it originated in Mexico which obviously delays the speed. It turns out they moved their assembly operations from Carlsbad to Mexico in 2010. I knew that all woods and all irons except Pings have been manufactured in Asia for decades but I didn't realize Callaway assembled everything in Mexico. I would think Callaway would keep a small inventory in the United States to handle warranty claims like mine in a more timely fashion. I also have had both of the ferrules come loose within a month of purchase on the 3 Callaway fairway woods I've bought in the last 2 years. Not a big deal for me to fix with a little epoxy but it makes me wonder if their quality control is where it should be.

Ping does not manufacture in the US anymore.

I don't think this practice is uncommon in the industry and that's one of the reasons I have no issue with it. If it helps keep costs down, it is what it is.

Pretty old news. I don't think quality has been hurt any by this move.

Ping does not manufacture in the US anymore.

I knew Ping had moved most of their production to Japan and Vietnam but I'm pretty sure at least their milled putters are still made at their foundry in Phoenix. I think all of the Ping shafts and grips are made in the USA as well.

There is simple answer to this, profitability. They are saving money, with what they think is the best quality.

Pretty sure it says that on all Callaway shaft stickers (the one by the hosel).

I knew Ping had moved most of their production to Japan and Vietnam but I'm pretty sure at least their milled putters are still made at their foundry in Phoenix. I think all of the Ping shafts and grips are made in the USA as well.

Milled putters (many putters are made in the USA) and the grooves on some of their wedges. There grips have been made by GolfPride in the past and I believe the newest grips are made by Lamkin.

As long as quality control and good solid processes are in place we should never see any issues. I hate it but I hope they are becoming stronger and more profitable from the move, doesn't turn me off a bit.

When my Callaway X-Hot driver with a custom shaft arrived from Mexico I thought I initially thought I had been ripped off on e-bay. After googling the subject I was surprised to find the same thing the OP did.

i have no issues with that the golf equipment industry is ver competitive so the have to do there best to keep overhead down

So what? I mean that in a honest way. Who cares really. I've found that there timeliness has been quite good. Just don't see it as a big deal.

Yeah. I'm in the "and...?" Camp here. Doesn't really matter at all.

Milled putters (many putters are made in the USA) and the grooves on some of their wedges. There grips have been made by GolfPride in the past and I believe the newest grips are made by Lamkin.

Interestingly, isn't the #1 milled putter on the market not milled in the USA?

So what? I mean that in a honest way. Who cares really. I've found that there timeliness has been quite good. Just don't see it as a big deal.

I don't care where they make them, I'm just a bit surprised that it's takes them at 2 weeks or longer to replace a club under warranty, especially when they said it would take 5-7 business days. If they kept a few clubs in inventory in the United States, they could meet that 5-7 day timeline that they are touting.

I don't care where they make them, I'm just a bit surprised that it's takes them at 2 weeks or longer to replace a club under warranty, especially when they said it would take 5-7 business days. If they kept a few clubs in inventory in the United States, they could meet that 5-7 day timeline that they are touting.

Maybe the issue is related to a club that is not the newest model and stock may be low across the board.

It's more of a political issue that I certainly won't spark up in this thread.

It's both an inevitable and somewhat unfortunate result of globalization. But it is a mainstay in the golf industry.

Maybe the issue is related to a club that is not the newest model and stock may be low across the board.

Maybe, it's an X2 Hot 2Deep with a stock Tour Green shaft. It's not a big deal because lord knows I have plenty of 3 woods to use until the replacement arrives. I just thought Callaway would be better at giving delivery date window. If they would have told me 10-14 business days, I'd be fine with it showing up like mine hopefully will after 15 days. They certainly have not wowed me after telling me on the phone that, "it would be 5-7 business days but it rarely takes that long."

Maybe, it's an X2 Hot 2Deep with a stock Tour Green shaft. It's not a big deal because lord knows I have plenty of 3 woods to use until the replacement arrives. I just thought Callaway would be better at giving delivery date window. If they would have told me 10-14 business days, I'd be fine with it showing up like mine hopefully will after 15 days. They certainly have not wowed me after telling me on the phone that, "it would be 5-7 business days but it rarely takes that long."

"rarely" is the key word. Delays happen & are outside of the CS control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Based on when you posted speaking to them, and now, are you sure you are speaking of 15 business days? I believe based on previous posts you spoke to them on the afternoon of the 23rd. That would mean it would get filed on the 24th (which is Friday). Correct me if I am wrong, but that would be that it has only been about 5 business days, one of which was Halloween (shipping occurs that day I believe). Does delivery really show right now another 8 business days out? To CA?

I say this not to question someone, but more to understand the question. Regardless of company (I tend to side with all of them on CS issues), I think golf companies have the best customer service out there. They bend over backwards to assist their customers with replacements on items many times not under warranty, several years old, etc. All of them seem to go above and beyond.

Based on when you posted speaking to them, and now, are you sure you are speaking of 15 business days? I believe based on previous posts you spoke to them on the afternoon of the 23rd. That would mean it would get filed on the 24th (which is Friday). Correct me if I am wrong, but that would be that it has only been about 5 business days, one of which was Halloween (shipping occurs that day I believe). Does delivery really show right now another 8 business days out? To CA?

I say this not to question someone, but more to understand the question. Regardless of company (I tend to side with all of them on CS issues), I think golf companies have the best customer service out there. They bend over backwards to assist their customers with replacements on items many times not under warranty, several years old, etc. All of them seem to go above and beyond.

I agree on CS. I know first hand just how good Callaway handles things and I played Ping for a couple of years and had some interaction with them and they were great as well. Most all of the major OEM's have great customer service, no matter where the clubs are made and assembled.

Not to nitpick here but I went back and re read the original post showing TB's broken club. TB gave Cally CS an A+ then (it was Mon Oct 20th, not the 23rd) because they told him that he'd have his replacement by the following Monday. That would've been Oct 27th. So I think TB is simply pointing out that he was surprised it's gone an extra week and wanted to recommend if they (or any OEM making clubs outside the US) kept a few on hand for warranty replacements, those surprise delays would be rarer.

Last edited:
Not to nitpick here but I went back and re read the original post showing TB's broken club. TB gave Cally CS an A+ then (it was Mon Oct 20th, not the 23rd) because they told him that he'd have his replacement by the following Monday. That would've been Oct 27th. So I think TB is simply pointing out that he was surprised it's gone an extra week and wanted to recommend if they (or any OEM making clubs outside the US) kept a few on hand for warranty replacements, those surprise delays would be rarer.

Gotcha. The dates on my thread must be screwed up, because it was showing hte 23rd on my end (through mobile).

Yup he actually broke it a day sooner, (per broken club post) but it was a Sunday. Cally is awesome for sure and the takeaway is I'm super envious of TB's club head speed. Wow!

I spoke to one of their very professional customer service agents on Monday, October 20th, at about 9 am. After taking down my information he said they would process it right away and I could expect it in 5-7 business days. He also added, without my prompting, that his guess for delivery was most likely Friday or Monday(October 24th or 27th). Tracking shows delivery for this Tuesday, which is 15 days or 11 business days. Again, if they would have told me 10+ business days, great, just don't tell me 5-7 and take double that amount of days to deliver.

Last edited:
Back