Arnold Palmer's INSANE Memorabilia Collection

Pretty cool to click through that. Amazing how many clubs he has still, would love to wander around through that all.

Even before I golfed, I was an Arnold Palmer fan. I grew up about thirty miles from Latrobe, and he was royalty in our parts. He is such a quietly generous guy. My daughter works for a local nonprofit that raises a bunch of money every year through a golf outing and auction. For most of the time she's been there, someone on the committee comes up with some golf prints and the Food Bank sends them out to a number of famous golfers, asking them to sign the print for charity. Up until last year, Mr. Palmer returned a signed print every year without fail. I was fortunate enough to win this print two years ago - but with his unmistakable signature:

jim-harrington-augusta-challenge_a-g-127193-0.jpg

Unbelievable!

1968 I was in the Navy stationed at NAS Barbers Point, Oahu, HI. Caddies didn't come with their players in those days and were needed, so volunteers were used. I took a week leave and went to the Pro Shop at Waialai and signed up to be a caddie. The list of volunteers were alphabetized and given numbers, mine being 19. I heard that number called and it was Rod Funseth. We played a practice round and the Pro Am and after the Pro Am Rod said, let's go see who I'm paired with and I hope it's not Arnold Palmer. Rod said that because there were so many people following Arnold it made it hard for us normal Players to concentrate on our game. Well, you guessed it. We were paired with Arnold Palmer and Gardner Dickinson. What a GREAT experience caddying for a Pro and the first two rounds with Arnold Palmer. I had told Rod that I played and was a 14 handicap and coming down. He told Arnold I was a sailor stationed in Oahu and played to a 14. On the 4th hole as I was carrying Rod's huge Wilson bag, I felt a hand on my shoulder and heard "So I hear you're in the Navy and a 14." I looked and it was Mr. Palmer. He was such a wonderful man and had that presence of greatness surrounding him. What a great two days. Rod finished Sunday and made $1100.00 and gave me $100, all his gloves he wore (new glove every 9 holes), and all his Titleist balls (he played a new ball every 6 holes unless he scuffed one and then changed immediately. I have never forgot those wonderful 6 days, and especially those two with Mr. Palmer and Mr. Dickinson.

Recently I sent a letter to Mr. Palmer telling him of my 1968 experience with him. He replied a few weeks later with a letter. I am forever grateful for this wonderful gift.

Wow. What a great thing to put together. I can't say thank you enough! I was fortunate to walk with Arnold inside the ropes when he and a few others opened a course in Indiana (Fuzzy's course, Fuzzy, Arnold, and Chi Chi) and he was the most kind, caring, and COMPETITIVE guy around. Loved it, and thanks again for this peek into history...

Mr. Palmer has an impressive collection. Thanks for sharing the photos and stories.

That is pretty damn impressive and thank you for sharing.

Thanks for sharing that with us...looks like American Pickers and a room from the World Golf HoF rolled into one.

That is amazing to see the volume of clubs and mementos

I have watched this and gone through the slide show probably 3 times now and man all I can say is WOW, he has truly lived a full life already and got to experience so many amazing things. Just such an interesting guy. and the collection of memorabilia is so dang impressive.

Thanks for sharing!

Everytime I got through this I am more and more amazed, I couldn't imagine what it would be like to see that in person

That was AWESOME!

WOW! Thanks!!!!

That was awesome! Thank you!

Very well done boys.

Easily the coolest thing I've seen this month. Great job AJ and Chad!

Holy cow! This is awesome. That workshop!!!!

Thanks for sharing that AJ, it must have been a pretty amazing experience

So much awesomeness. That is pretty damn amazing. Would be so cool to see all of that first hand!

The ULTIMATE man cave right there!

Back