Do you play a goat track ?????

Not as often as I used to but I'm not too shy to play them at all.

My league is played at a goat trackish course. It is green but the greens are super small, flat domes and always long slow and bumpy. But they only charge us a dollar for beers so we stay

SOLD!

I don't normally play goat tracks, but I have played on a lot of them, especially if they're inexpensive and not crowded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

There's one near me that ill play on occasion. It's an absolute dump and doesn't even have a clubhouse of any kind lol think I'm joking? For only $12 9 holes and literally no one out there it's not bad to go hit a million balls and practice.

My home course has turned into a goat track because of the drought. It recovers over the winter with the little rain we get and is great from January-March, then it completely dies and the only watering occurs on the greens and tee boxes.

Unfortunately the course gets its reclaimed water from the local prison and because they have reduced their population the course gets less water. The county recently voted to explore buidling a new pond on site, so there is hope for the future. Thankfully there are plenty of other courses that have better water sources.

I play on my county course quite a bit, thats where my leagues are at. I wouldn't call it a goat track tho. The course is kept in great condition, Fairway to rough is very easy to tell, there is sand and water and they are both kept up.

My goat track is complete with goats nearby. The goats can get pretty angry and noisy occasionally.

But, as noted, its cheap, convenient, I'm 38 minutes from the next decent course, and since its never crowded, I can take my 4 year old out to golf anytime I want without any fear of being in anyone's way.

~Rock

Yes. I do. Its decent as far as goat tracks are concerned though. Its the only course to me in a 30 min radius, so im a member.
I often wish they would sell and make a muni out of it. The price is dumb for nonmembers, so they get about zero outside play.
I never play it with my friends from out of town, i couldnt ask them to drive the same time and pay the same fees as the better courses just outside my daily reach.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

My home course is not the best by any stretch but the greens are solid and layout is good. Could they maintain it better, sure but I play it because of my buddies and the men's group. Is it a goat track, compared to Grand Cypress, yes. Compared to some other local courses, not even close.

I don't necessarily seek it out or avoid it. I'll play just about anything as long as I don't feel like I'm over paying for the experience/quality of the course.

What if you play a track that has goats living there as part of the maintenance staff? They love eating the poison ivy!

To answer the op's question, yes I will and have. Cheap and a good time with friends is always fun.

No, but I guess I would under the right circumstances.

I have played more than my fair share of rounds on what I would consider goat tracks. I love playing golf, and if that's on a goat track, that's just fine.

Sometimes it's fun to just go out to a local with a loose definition of fairway vs rough with no sand. I don't generally play them, but love that they exist for everyone to play the game at a cheaper rate.

Excellent point, here. I learned to play on a goat track, and my daughter is getting the same, since the local goat track folks treat her well, and throw-in an occasional range token for her. I don't have to have her play a goat track, but I have so many fond memories of learning the game with my parents and grandparents on one, that it just feels right she started the game in the same way. I'm thinking she'll get to play a nicer track much sooner than I ever did, though. LOL

not quite a goat track but yes, I play a less than stellar course. But I only have 2 options in a 20 mile radius and both are about the same.

At least its cheap...

Don't always, but if the price to play it is right on par with hitting a large bucket of balls? The goat track wins.

Agreed. There is a municipal course near me that has tracts of grassless fairway, but I can walk 9 of their 18 after work for around $10.00.

not anymore, but i definitely used to. the great thing about orlando is there is very decent golf to be had for very reasonable prices in the summer for residents. so i can play something like grand cypress for $35.

the course next to my house has a horrible driving range and practice area. about as goat ranch as you can imagine. but the course itself, while short and VERY tight, is almost always in pretty darn good shape. just like op's course, it hosted tour events and had some of the legends of the game tee it up there. it's also the course bubba watson and michael collins did that little espn vlog thingy last year.

The Fort Huachuca post golf course is stuck mid-transition from a parkland course to a desert course. This was done with no real regard for the mountainous, stony desert that the area sits on. I try to avoid playing it because the "rough" is simply murderous on clubs, especially irons, but when the choice is crappy golf or no golf, I choose crappy golf.

This is also ignoring the shambles that is the greens.

I try not to. I would much rather stay home than play a goat track if we are being 100% honest

That said below average course is different to me than a goat track. If I can't find grass to hit off / the Greens roll at about a 2-3 I want no part of playing haha. If it is just spotty issues but the course is solid i don't mind at all

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yep I'll play them from time to time. It can be fun to just go out in shorts and a t-shirt and bomb shots without regard to accuracy because there's open field everywhere haha

Never on purpose.

I've stumbled on some in my past.

I just hope my county courses (which are nice courses) don't continue to keep raising prices because eventually I may have to find a goat track somewhere. Unfortunately there are many towns in my county that are of upper income and so the supply of golfers willing to put up with increases is not going to dwindle down much and that imo allows the county to charge more. Simply put...they realize they will still have the customers to play golf.

That being said....as long as I have the choice financially, I'd opt to pay some more vs playing a goat track. I don't even care for some courses that are not goat tracks but are simply just poorly laid out and squeezed into places they really don't belong. However, again I am still fortunate that my county provides nice courses and at least for now still affordable for me even though prices have gone up. But its getting tight especially now that I have some more time to golf than in the past. I would eventually either golf less often again or find a cheaper place when the time comes.

Not normally, but I have plenty of times over the years. I'll play just about anywhere. Honestly these days it's more of where can I get in early and out at a decent time. If that ends up being a goat track I'm ok with it.

I've played my fair share of rough courses, but now I'm closer to semi-private and private clubs, so I have not played on one in a while. The closet thing I have to a goat track is a course called Cinco Ranch. (Don't judge Jacob) lol

Like this? This is where I'm a member of. It's cheap and nobody plays so I'm alone for several holes. It has its appeal, but playing on hardpan can be hard on the body and handicap.
6fa9a319d3dce4387b58144a257092e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-E500H using Tapatalk

Almost every course that I frequent here is a goat track. Home course is in the middle of a field with little irrigation and no sand traps.

Waiting for it to dry out so I can hit some long drives this year!

Back