gailsmith

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey Guys, So a bit new to this. I've had some practice on the driving range before, but finally got out this past Summer to play a full game in NJ. It was a bit more tiring than I thought it was and I was talking to someone in the shop there and they mentioned there were a bunch of workouts I can do to help my game? I started looking online and found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Up0ZX8mPo but not sure if these actually help? Does anyone do any exercises in particular to help improve their golf game? Never heard of any before but definitely willing to try. Also, any decent resources online for good workouts?

I'd just lean towards generalized fitness. It'll carry over to your golf game just like it will everything else you do.

As Hawk said getting in better overall shape will help you out a ton, but there are plenty of specialized golf training programs that you can look into (Joey D Golf, core to Score etc) if you want something to guide you along.

Main thing I would recommend, work on flexibility and core strength.

Moved to Swing Tips.

Thanks - I'm decently active. My drive has gotten better with practice. Is there any sort of strength training that will help with those muscles in particular that you know of?

I think if you do some regular exercise (cardio, weights) and incorperate some golf fitness it will help. I got the Joey D golf DVD which was I think $30 and do it at the gym. I watched the DVD to get an understanding of what needs to be done do it at my regular gym. I've found it has help with my swing a lot. It's all about the bio-mechanics of the golf swing and helps a lot with getting loaded properly. I'm not saying this is the only system out there because there are a few other golf DVD series out there but this one has help me out a lot.

As Hawk said getting in better overall shape will help you out a ton, but there are plenty of specialized golf training programs that you can look into (Joey D Golf, core to Score etc) if you want something to guide you along.

Main thing I would recommend, work on flexibility and core strength.

As you can tell by his name he also manscapes! :drinks:

Highly recommend "Fix Your Body, Fix your Swing". I bought the book earlier this year and implemented the recommended exercises after going through the "tests" in the book that identified my weaknesses. I'm 49 and now longer than ever. The exercises only take me 20 minutes 3 days a week and I've picked up 12-15 yards off the tee and switched back to an X-flex in my driver, 3 wood, and hybrid after playing mostly stiff flex since I was 35.

Highly recommend "Fix Your Body, Fix your Swing". I bought the book earlier this year and implemented the recommended exercises after going through the "tests" in the book that identified my weaknesses. I'm 49 and now longer than ever. The exercises only take me 20 minutes 3 days a week and I've picked up 12-15 yards off the tee and switched back to an X-flex in my driver, 3 wood, and hybrid after playing mostly stiff flex since I was 35.

This is another Joey D product:

http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Body...&sr=8-1&keywords=fix+your+body+fix+your+swing

I have liked Joey D golf, so I would bet this could be real helpful.

I'd just lean towards generalized fitness. It'll carry over to your golf game just like it will everything else you do.
Hawk said it best.

Strong is strong. Explosive is explosive. The only golf specific exercise you really need is actually swinging a golf club. Otherwise, stick to the basics and you will be fine.

I think core strength is key (esp to us guys in our upper 40's) as a small guy I think I can move the ball pretty good distance and I think it is because of my core strength. I train core every other day and it has made a world of difference for me.

I think core strength is key (esp to us guys in our upper 40's) as a small guy I think I can move the ball pretty good distance and I think it is because of my core strength. I train core every other day and it has made a world of difference for me.
I agree on core strength. I know you didn't say it, but I want to add, sit ups and crunches do not improve core strength. So don't do them

Hawk said it best.

Strong is strong. Explosive is explosive. The only golf specific exercise you really need is actually swinging a golf club. Otherwise, stick to the basics and you will be fine.

I agree to a point but an out of balance body, especially when it comes to flexibility, is very common even among those who are strong and explosive. I would not categorize myself as having a strong upper body, yet I have no problems with a 255+ yard carry.

What "Fix Your Body, Fix Your Swing" did for me was identify flexibility/strength/balance issues. Increasing the flexibility in my left shoulder(my right was fine) and in my left hip & hamstring(the right side was fine) increased my swing speed and ability to maintain my spine angle through the swing. If I had never bought this book I would have never know how to identify or fix these weaknesses in my physiology. These issues may not have been present when I was 40, but things certainly start to stiffen up after age 40.

I agree on core strength. I know you didn't say it, but I want to add, sit ups and crunches do not improve core strength. So don't do them
I do my core training in about 15 minutes. I do not do sit ups but I do, rope crunches, ball twists, hanginging leg raises and good mornings.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I agree to a point but an out of balance body, especially when it comes to flexibility, is very common even among those who are strong and explosive. I would not categorize myself as having a strong upper body, yet I have no problems with a 255+ yard carry.

What "Fix Your Body, Fix Your Swing" did for me was identify flexibility/strength/balance issues. Increasing the flexibility in my left shoulder(my right was fine) and in my left hip & hamstring(the right side was fine) increased my swing speed and ability to maintain my spine angle through the swing. If I had never bought this book I would have never know how to identify or fix these weaknesses in my physiology. These issues may not have been present when I was 40, but things certainly start to stiffen up after age 40.
I do agree with everything you posted. I have no problem with the program you mentioned. There are a few forum members who do some big bar type lifts, I am one. Because of the forum and attention to range of motion and doing the lifts correctly, I can maintain a very good amount of flexibility.

A lack of flexibility tends to come with bulk type programs. Bulk does not equal strength.

Yea still get the same ROM in a number of stretches that I had pre-weightlifting. Plenty of people out there that show that it doesn't have to be one or the other. I loosened myself up for a number of months before starting all that though. Not pointing at it as the reason I got more flexible, but rather that it hasn't had a negative effect.

Strength training has definitely helped my balance as well as things like hoofing it up a hill when I'm carrying my bag. Just not as much exertion required.

I bought a book on Amazon for $2.99; Golf Fitness: Shed Pounds and Shave Strokes. It's a lot of core strenght and flexibility exercises. I read the book, but broke my wrist shortly after starting the exercises and haven't picked it up since. I need to get back to it.

I've started doing yoga and it's helped with my body feeling better overall. In terms of golf, I feel a lot better after rounds than I would have previously. Yoga is an incredible workout and works your whole body.

I've started doing yoga and it's helped with my body feeling better overall. In terms of golf, I feel a lot better after rounds than I would have previously. Yoga is an incredible workout and works your whole body.

This.

(Blu)Joe you should do Yoga, just grunt with a feral rage on the exhale of every position.

This.

(Blu)Joe you should do Yoga, just grunt with a feral rage on the exhale of every position.
They do enjoy breathing noises quite a bit!

Titleist performance institute has tons of great work outs on their website.

I just try and stay in good overall shape/fitness for work and it translates well into my game.

What ever you do for one side of the body must be matched on the other to maintain equilibrium/balance.

This.

Haha. Stretch and angrily throw something.

Back