Golfing alone or with strangers?

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
I got into golf late, so I don't quite have the golf buddies that most golfers have. In addition, while I'm ready to play almost daily, they may only play once or twice a week. So here's my dilemma.

If I call a course to book a time, they don't like to send you out a lone, so they will put you in with another group. I never know if I'm going to get paired up with some group that is really good or maybe not so good. Is there some protocol to follow when booking tee times to ensure that you don't get matched up with some golfers that either way better than you or perhaps not so good?

Any advice to share?

Treat every random pair up as a chance to make new golf buddies. Don't let their talent, or lack there of, throw you off. Go enjoy meeting new people.

nope, playing with total strangers is all part of it. everybody has a story, so it can be very entertaining to get to know the person. if they're not as good as you, try to remember what it was like when you were terrible and how you may have felt like you were annoying everybody, then do everything you can to not make that person feel that way. if they're better than you, try to learn something from their games.

personally, i love playing alone. but it doesn't happen as often as i would like.

It's very much luck of the draw....or at least it USE to be. NOW, whenever I'm going out of town and can take my clubs, well in advance I'm on here looking for some fellow THP'ers to play my rounds with. For example, next week I'll be in IL and I already have a tee time set up with three of my great THP brothers, Lord Byron, Michigan Slice and Amsmith61 for a round just outside of Chicago in the burbs! Then, when I get up to WI a few days after that, I'm playing with my brother and some friends from college.

Needless to say, in the last two years since I've been on here, I haven't played a round of golf outside of my town by myself, it's always been with a fellow THP'er or someone from my family.

I can sympathize with you... I got into golf late and my free time doesn't always sync up with my buddies'. I used be really apprehensive about my game, and didn't want to be paired with strangers. That was a mistake; blugold is correct.

Now I would prefer going out with strangers than alone. My dad went out, met a few people despite not being a great golfer by any means and some of those relationships became very important to him. At our skill level, golf is as much a social experience as it is a sport. Treat it as such, and ultimately I'm betting that your list of golf buddies will grow and you will get more out of the game.

Nope, you just have to go with the flow. Think of it as a way to meet new golf buddies.

Great, good, ok or just plain bad, I love meeting new people. I’ve meet some really good friends this way. With all the different walks of life that play the game, it’s a great way to network. You never know who you’re going to meet.

Like everyone has said, it's a part of it. I would say that 99% of the time you will get paired up with someone who doesn't care about your skill at all. I always break the ice right off the bat and say "I play relaxed rules. Improve your lie if it improves your mood. I'm out here to have fun, hope you are too."

Now I will say that I prefer to golf alone and I'm fortunate enough that I get to quite often because of where I'm a member.

a love hate relationship with being an introvert golfer - personally, i asked starters when the best times are for singles.

Treat every random pair up as a chance to make new golf buddies. Don't let their talent, or lack there of, throw you off. Go enjoy meeting new people.
This '^^^^

Only way to really meet new people in this game.

I'll play either way. I like meeting new people, but I play alone quite a bit too. I'm out to have fun, and as long as I'm playing with people who are out having fun too it's a good time usually.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I got into golf late, so I don't quite have the golf buddies that most golfers have. In addition, while I'm ready to play almost daily, they may only play once or twice a week. So here's my dilemma.

If I call a course to book a time, they don't like to send you out a lone, so they will put you in with another group. I never know if I'm going to get paired up with some group that is really good or maybe not so good. Is there some protocol to follow when booking tee times to ensure that you don't get matched up with some golfers that either way better than you or perhaps not so good?

Any advice to share?
Afternoons. During the week, about noon to 1 or later. On weekends 2PM or later.

One trick is to look what times their prices change. As a general rule, if there is a lull in golfers it starts a half hour to hour before the price change. Not a lot of difference in playing between 3:330 and 4:00 when you can save five to seven bucks (at our course) off rack rate. Unless they are being proactive and discounting online pricing. I decrease prices online the full hour before the price change. If it looks like it needs it, it might even be a buck or two cheaper than the next rate if it is filling up right at the price change.

Could not have said it better! :thumb:

I play with strangers quite often. I enjoy it, you never know who you are going to meet out there!

I look forward to playing with strangers. Get to meet new people and you never know what my come of that chance outing.

I like golfing alone but don't mind playing with strangers if paired up. Can't ever remember playing with a jerk, hope my playing partners can say the same :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Actually got paired up with a guy from Australia yesterday, it was very cool!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I'm more likely to not play at all if I can't find anyone to go to the course with me. I really don't like playing alone.

Meeting new people on the course is always good. If there are times when you absolutely want to play as a single, I would suggest booking tees times for the courses slowest day / time. For instance, I know when I go out to play on a Saturday afternoon when it is 95 and high humidity that I will be one of the few people crazy enough to play in those conditions.

I often book as a single and don't care about others talent as long as you are good company nobody cares how good or bad you are.

That's the greatest thing about THP ... you never really play with "strangers" anymore .... no matter where you are in the country.

Pros and cons to both I don't mind either. If you're paired up with strangers then it is what it is and put your best foot forward and hope they do the same

Usually getting paired up works fine for me. Occasionally the playing fit is a little hard. Sometimes they are just off a little bit, but enough to be awkward. The other day I was paired with 2 older ladies. They had just finished the front nine, and I joined them on the back. We had fun, but they would have much rather finished just the two of them. Just playing different tees kept throwing them off. The next day I was paired with two guys who were occasional, recreational golfers. They struggled with the contrast in our games, and that was uncomfortable at times as their frustration kicked in. But most of the time, the pairings turn out to be very nice.

I have never golfed alone but may end up trying it next week as I am on vacation.

Back