Private club or municipal? Why?

Are you a private club member? Nope.

Do you shun private clubs and play public/municipal courses only? Why?

I think the private clubs have their place and if you're loaded with money and that's your gig, good for ya. I played at my step son's private course (Athens Country Club) and it's pretty fricking nice. With that said if I did have the money, I would not use all the amenities. I'm in it for the golf only and my home course which is public has all I need.

Should be noted that not all people at private courses are super rich.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Should be noted that not all people at private courses are super rich.

If you drive a later model vehicle than a 98 GMC pick em up truck then you're in the fortune 500 in my book :thumb:

To me, municipal courses are fine, have played some really nice ones. My friend works at a local private club, has told me it's not all that great and not worth the huge fees to play it. No one there will ever make the tour so why spend so much money on golf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you drive a later model vehicle than a 98 GMC pick em up truck then you're in the fortune 500 in my book :thumb:

Haha I'm a student in the negative numbers, I know the feeling.

Sorry it came right after your post, wasn't directed at you OG. Have seen several post surrounding it. A couple we have at the course struggle every year to pay their fees and give up doing other things to do so.

I wouldn't call it my personal way of spending funds, but there are those out there.

Haha I'm a student in the negative numbers, I know the feeling.

Sorry it came right after your post, wasn't directed at you OG. Have seen several post surrounding it. A couple we have at the course struggle every year to pay their fees and give up doing other things to do so.

I wouldn't call it my personal way of spending funds, but there are those out there.

KellyBo and I were members of a semi Country Club for a year. It was nice but like you said, it was a grind to afford that type luxury. We didn't use the pool, tennis courts, are the fancy dining. Heck they even had bingo in the evenings and we never went to that. :D That particular club is loosing members at a alarming rate now. Some of our old friends there have moved on including one couple who lives on the 10th fairway.

KellyBo and I were members of a semi Country Club for a year. It was nice but like you said, it was a grind to afford that type luxury. We didn't use the pool, tennis courts, are the fancy dining. Heck they even had bingo in the evenings and we never went to that. :D That particular club is loosing members at a alarming rate now. Some of our old friends there have moved on including one couple who lives on the 10th fairway.

In certain areas private courses are hurting the most. It's a shame really.

In certain areas private courses are hurting the most. It's a shame really.

Yep. I think there will have to be some sort of changes at the low to middle tier clubs.

I play at a semi-private club regularly, plan on joining if I heard correctly on the price they announced, 7 minute drive from house to 1st tee. They don't have any of the extras like pool/tennis and so on. But they are just finishing a simulator install. I also know a lot of the members & most of the staff (small town). I'd only have to play 25-30 rounds to make it cost effective from the guest rate I get (always playing with members).

I could do it and there are three extremely nice clubs within 5 miles of me. Two of them have 36 holes and one has two 18 hole regulation tracks and one par three layout. The problem for me is that I would miss my friends. I play in a league and I like everyone in it. We play all over the place and have a blast. If I joined a club, I would feel like I needed to play there exclusively to justify it. Sure I would make new friends, but I kinda like the ones I have now.

Then there is the whole THP Event aspect. Food and beverage minimums at many clubs around here would pay for at least two or three THP Grand Events. That's reason enough for me! I'll stay muni for now :act-up:.

JM

If I could play twice a week or more I would look into joining somewhere. As of now with two kids under 4 it's just not a good financial decision when I only play once a week. When the kids are a little older and I would have more time to spend not only playing, but taking advantage of free practice facilities, I will check it out

Where i live, were blessed with great courses (including 8 of the top 100 publics within 2hours) out county courses are really really great and kept in good shape, city of rockford has some nice courses including one course that was in the top 50 under 50 in golf magazine. As well as many other great private owned public access courses. and all of it can be played for less than 60$ with a cart. Just wish our weather was better

There are so many golf courses around me, I would feel like I was wasting money playing anywhere other than a private club if I were to join one. Add to that the fact that none of my golf buddies are members, I would have to find a whole new group of people to play with.

Exactly my thoughts. We have it made pretty good around here with plenty of nice courses to play.

I drive a 1994 Izusu Rodeo to my private club. #Stylin

Public. It's simple math... The CC here is $350/mo, $6000 initiation fee, $15 for a cart. My public's highest price for range balls and 18 with a cart is $38. I play MAYBE 27 holes/mo currently. That costs me maybe $60 right now, so I save $335/mo, plus amortized initiation, each month by NOT joining.

I belong to a semi-private course. For as much as I play I can't beat the price I pay. When I figure the numbers out it comes down to under $20 a round.

Down here the privates are extremely proud of themselves and the fees reflect it. In addition, the public courses tend to be in good shape or better, just crowded.

also, most of my golf is provided for by suppliers, have to love the cost..............

I have never joined or played a private course. I have no experience what to expect.

In my area (North Jersey) there are more private clubs than public courses and they are the real deal ($25k+ bond and that much a year if not more but these are PGA courses). I have looked at a few courses that for people under 40 waive the bond and are only 5-6k a year. I could swing the money but I wouldn't be able to play enough to make it even remotely worth my while (I understand that I should not expect to make my money back).

Luckily my county has 6 courses and I am only 40 min from the 8 courses at the Crystal Springs Resort. Also I drive to central Jersey to play with THPers.

Within 35 minutes of my house there are dozens of public courses and a handful of private clubs. The Private clubs are insanely nice and the cost to be associated with one is astronomical. 20,000 to join, $320/month, food minimums etc etc...and that's for the cheapest one.

If I could afford a Private Club and if I could golf more than 1 day / week I would be a member at one.

I prefer private because members tend to take better care of the course IMO, it's easier to get tee times & it gives my wife and daughter a place to hang out & relax as well (in other words, "I don't have to pay for or maintain a pool at the house"). I also like the social aspect as well.

Right now I'm playing public courses, but that will change this spring. I'm joining a country club that's about 5 minutes from work & 15 minutes from home.

The money I spend on the range & rounds monthly now almost covers the monthly CC dues. Once the weather gets better, I'll play & practice even more.

I belong to a semi-private course. For as much as I play I can't beat the price I pay. When I figure the numbers out it comes down to under $20 a round.

Exactly. For most of the year, my rounds cost me well less than $20 a round, with food.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back