Jacket aficionados...

Good ol' eBay, although the ad was a bit non-descript.

I find every jacket regardless of price says the same things:
"seam-sealed"
"fully breathable"
"comfortable"
"engineered/warranty/blah blah blah"

Either they are all really good, or it's all marketing mumbo jumbo right? I think I'll just spring for the Nike Storm-Fit as its $100 for jacket and pants and should meet my needs just fine.

Haha yeah gotta love marketing mumbo jumbo. The rub is that there is "fully seam sealed/taped" and "critically seam sealed/taped" - the latter meaning that they only did the seams they decided were the most important. If it doesn't say the word "fully", it probably isn't.

I think that's a good move. GT is only really needed when you're spending the whole day outside - golf is only a couple hours. I'm happy with the $120 jacket/pants I use golfing in the rain.

Currently pondering these two jackets as ski midlayers/around town:

Arc'teryx Atom AR (with or without hood)
Spoiler

Arcteryx_Atom_AR-1.jpg

North Face Thermoball Jacket (also with or without hood)
Spoiler

men-8217-s-thermoball-8482-full-zip-jacket-C762_BH7_hero.jpg

Similar warmth levels, but the Arc is heavier, more durable, and I like the look better - and also about $50 more.

Gonna use my 40% off card from #PersonalDistance and snag something off of the Salomon site tonight.

Gonna use my 40% off card from #PersonalDistance and snag something off of the Salomon site tonight.

That's awesome. I love me some Salomon.

RE my above post...going with the Arc. Just debating the hoodilemna.

Pondering a wind shirt/jacket...basically if I even need one. The positive of one is that it blocks the wind like a rain jacket, but isn't waterproof and thus is more breathable. Which would be nice, considering I get a little toasty and clammy sometimes playing golf/hiking in a rain jacket. My question I guess, is how much more breathable is it really than an ultralight rain jacket? The other option is I could get a wind jacket for the breathability, and then just stuff a super light rain poncho in in case it dumps and take it off once it's done. Anybody here ever bring a poncho golfing?

What kind of wind jacket are you talking?

What is the point of a windbreaker if it isn't going to keep you warm? I cannot stand lighter weight wind jackets because they tend to blow around my body and I don't like the way that feels.

Are you looking for a pullover or full zip?

Super light (<6oz) and packable, so you can stuff it in the hiking pack/golf bag without too much hassle. I have the Sunice Burnham windstopper, but it doesn't pack down well at all once I have to take it off. Something like the Patagonia Houdini or Arc'teryx Squamish (or cheaper equivalent, these things are pricy):

houdini1.jpg
Squamish-Hoody-Masago.png

What is the point of a windbreaker if it isn't going to keep you warm? I cannot stand lighter weight wind jackets because they tend to blow around my body and I don't like the way that feels.

Are you looking for a pullover or full zip?

Meant as a layering piece, you put it on over one or two insulation layers if it's cold, but it works without layers too when it's warmer out as well because it's thin. Layering = versatility.

If it were me, no I wouldn't bother. I just wear the heavier zip-ups for that type of thing. Bonus is that I can wear them other places as well.

Like this:
pDSP1-18637306p275w.jpg

Like this:
pDSP1-18637306p275w.jpg

Yep, I have a Marker pullover like that, great piece. I guess I got to thinking cause some folks around here (being big backpackers and mtn bikers) majorly espouse the idea of this light breathable wind layer, but I can't get past the idea in my head between the type of things you mention and my rain shell, I've got it covered. Sounds like you agree.

More money for a putter I suppose :D

Exactly :D

I do have a very lightweight UA pullover that's a wind/rain type thingy. That really lightweight material and can be mashed down in the bottom of a bag. It gets very little use though. On the flipside, I have worn it at times and it was pretty cheap.

Exactly :D

I do have a very lightweight UA pullover that's a wind/rain type thingy. That really lightweight material and can be mashed down in the bottom of a bag. It gets very little use though. On the flipside, I have worn it at times and it was pretty cheap.

Yeah, I'm contemplating picking up something like this or one of the short sleeve winshirts when they pop up for super cheap on flash sales - seems to happen pretty often.

ANyone have experience with Helly Hansen H2 Flow jacket? Really good deal on them and love the look.

ANyone have experience with Helly Hansen H2 Flow jacket? Really good deal on them and love the look.

I have a Helly ski jacket (can't remember the style name) and can't say enough about it. Fantastic performance coat! Where did you find a deal on the H2? Iirc that's a lighter weight coat and would be a good add to my collection...

I have a Helly ski jacket (can't remember the style name) and can't say enough about it. Fantastic performance coat! Where did you find a deal on the H2? Iirc that's a lighter weight coat and would be a good add to my collection...

Helly Hansen website. Certain colourways were 50% off. Didn't act quick enough though and missed my size.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Anybody else out there have an irrational love for jackets in general - particularly of the outdoor/technical variety? Hardshells, softshells, wind jackets, ski jackets...I already have more than I need, and for some stupid reason I still want more haha. I don't really have a weakness for clothing, but outerwear is the exception, I just love it. I've always been a huge fan of Arc'teryx gear, particularly hardshells and softshells, but I've more recently developed affinities for Sunice and Marmot as well.

And what's a thread without pics :alien: so here are a couple of my favorites that I own:

Arc'teryx Theta AR hardshell:

f13-theta-ar-jacket-buckeye.jpg

This one reminds me of "The Flash" for some reason.

the-flash.jpg

This one reminds me of "The Flash" for some reason.

the-flash.jpg
Haha that is awesome. Can't say it makes me faster though

And Golf Ghost, I don't have any experience with that particular model, but I will say that all the Helly Hansen I've handled in the past is pretty bomber. I'd say you probably can't go wrong if it's a good deal.

I'm looking for a rain jacket & I was wondering if the Sunice Burnham can handle 18 holes in a steady rain?

I got a PM from SkiBumGolfer & thought I'd share it if anyone else was wondering about the Sunice Burnham for rainy conditions:

Hey man! The Burnham is a great jacket for layering in cold weather and for blocking the wind. It is not, however, a rain jacket. Its DWR will hold light rain at bay for a little while, but it will definitely soak through in any kind of sustained rain. I love the jacket, though - just not for wet weather!

Hope that helps man!

I've lived in the south my whole life and a jacket to me is just a necessary evil. I did have the most awesome leather jacket that I owned for 10 years and maybe wore it 4 times - my ex-wife donated it to Goodwill the moment I made my escape...

I think I might pick up one of these Salomon Fast Wing running/wind jackets, since between the fact that it's 50% off, I have REI gift cards and an REI dividend, I can get one for precisely $0 out of pocket:

Spoiler
L36623500.jpg

I'm thinking it'll be great for running, as it should cut the wind without adding heat. Plus it'll be great to toss in the pack when traveling or hiking, since it weighs a whole 4 oz. And if I don't like it, REI will take it back under their guarantee. Nothing to lose, way I see it.

I think I might pick up one of these Salomon Fast Wing running/wind jackets, since between the fact that it's 50% off, I have REI gift cards and an REI dividend, I can get one for precisely $0 out of pocket:

Spoiler
L36623500.jpg

I'm thinking it'll be great for running, as it should cut the wind without adding heat. Plus it'll be great to toss in the pack when traveling or hiking, since it weighs a whole 4 oz. And if I don't like it, REI will take it back under their guarantee. Nothing to lose, way I see it.

I did go ahead and grab one, but I went with this fly as hell color scheme :D

Spoiler
salomon-running-tops-salomon-fast-wing-running-top-matador-red.jpg

I have a few Columbia sportswear jackets. I usually rock the softshell type jackets and have three Kirkland (Costco) softshell jackets. The ones just released this year and much nicer than last years models.

I do need to research a good winter/rain golf gear setup for the upcoming cold season though...

Back