2015 Wilson Staff Duo and Duo Spin Review Thread

Love the fact based info. Thanks Josh.

Thanks for the test and the info. You said these were short chips, would the difference in spin increase with longer shots, I.e. scoring irons into the green?

Not sure. Most surlyn covered balls spin fine on full swings with proper contact.

That's some interesting info JB. 300rpm is not really much different at all. I will still be giving both balls a try when released.

2015 Wilson Staff Duo and Duo Spin Review Thread

That's good info there JB. Thanks.

Thanks for the test and the info. You said these were short chips, would the difference in spin increase with longer shots, I.e. scoring irons into the green?

I did notice some increase in spin on full swings with mid to short irons (7i-aw) but not like you would expect with an FG Tour. I think the most important thing to remember with this ball is that yes it's increased spin, but it is still a Duo. It's designed for things other than short game magic. Right now in the golf ball market the hot catch is less spin on the tee shot with spin around the greens. So if a company can take a low compression distance ball and increase the spin, even if it's by minimal amounts, they have marketing gold and we will be told this ball is the ball we've been waiting for. It's the same with the NXT Tour, Q Star and past Callaway balls.

[video=youtube_share;_cf2QPbRE-o]http://youtu.be/_cf2QPbRE-o[/video]

Anyone mention a price on the new Duo and Duo Spins?

Anyone mention a price on the new Duo and Duo Spins?
Looks like Golfsmith has them at 19.99 for the new 2 piece Duo & 26.99 for the Duo Spin.

Looks like Golfsmith has them at 19.99 for the new 2 piece Duo & 26.99 for the Duo Spin.

Nice to see the Duo didn't see a price increase, and the Duo Spin is comparable to the Bridgestone e series. In four days I want to get my hands on the DS's and check numbers against the new e6.

Nice to see the Duo didn't see a price increase, and the Duo Spin is comparable to the Bridgestone e series. In four days I want to get my hands on the DS's and check numbers against the new e6.
I plan to do a comparison of several new balls on the launch monitor in the next week or so. They aren't all in the same categorey based on design & composition, but they're all in the range of what I'm willing to pay for a ball.

Today I got a free 2 ball sample of each at Golfsmith. I'll be using the free Duo to compare with E6 and Supersoft

Guys,

Is the Duo Spin supposed to increase spin both on approach shots (good) and off the tee (bad)? I'm a bit of a wild driver and spend too much time in the woods as is. I'd love approach shots to have better stopping ability, but if it comes at the cost of spending even more time in the woods then it is a no go.

Dave

So I did a little test with these two golf balls recently around the greens. I wanted to find out if the Spin model was in fact a spin increased model. So I setup 24 balls, 12 of each of these and mixed them up. The plan was to alternate between them on nothing but short chips and see what I found. When averaging all of the shots together (using a launch monitor here), there was approximately 300 rpms of spin more in the Spin model than that of the regular model. That might sound like a lot more, but in reality it is a pretty small amount.

The reality of this is that none of these should be looked for for extreme short game spin, for that one should look at getting a urethane covered ball and Wilson makes one in the FG Tour if you want to stay in the brand lineup. The Duo Spin model did increase spin around the greens, but not by a huge amount.

I'm glad the data has backed up what I remember from using them side-by-side.

Maybe I missed it but do we know release date? Website just saying coming soon with a price of $26.99.

And no yellow depresses me for the Duo Spins. Standard Duo is available in yellow.

Cookie, Golfsmith is saying they are shipping orders on February 9, so sometime around there?

Love me some Guy Johnson...Seriously.
I wish they would have moved on from the Guy Johnson character. In another thread on Wilson Staff the conversation has moved to their marketing efforts which many seem to think have not helped them.

While I love the direction of the product I think these ads make them look like they are selling some clown ball. The fact is that the Duo is a great ball. In balls alone this is the brand of the NFL,the NCAA, and it is a brand of wonderful history.I just don't think this works anymore with the quality of the line they have created in golf.

I thought Duo was marketed pretty well. Well enough to lead a category for awhile.

Golfsmith now has these on the shelves

Golf USA in Fayetteville has them as well.

Interesting to find out more about this one. I imagine it wont spin as much as a Urethane Cover, but I really enjoy the lower compression ball

I will say from my limited experience with them the last few rounds of the year. You'll get plenty of bite on the greens, the duo spins will check up a bit too. Regular Duos have a bit more run out, but nothing that would be a deal breaker.

Saw a box of Duo Spin at the golf shop near me - almost grabbed a dozen. I still have a few left from #PersonalDistance, so I may hold out a bit, see how things go over the next few rounds.
Dark red box, looks pretty sharp!

Back