Official Politics Thread

His own speech said "dont expect change during first term"

His own speech said "dont expect change during first term"

I wonder if he's expecting a second term then. Give the people what they want or you're out and we'll put someone else in there. :at-wits-end:

The comical thing to me was that his whole platform was change was needed. Then he said "slow down" it takes time. Of course it takes time. But it does not take 4 years. Look out Canada. If you ever fix that weather problem (too cold) we are coming....lol

what I don't understand is when you examine the ballot questions it shows how our nation is a center right nation. gay marriage got slammed in this election, yet people vote for Obama who isn't exactly welcoming them in but at the same time is a candidate who marketed himself to a diverse constituency

the two just dont add up

Reactions: JB
How do you know when a politician is lying?

His mouth is moving.

Nuff Said.

I think we have yet to see the worse in the financial market... right now, corporate leaders are cringing during his speech

I feel sorry for anyone that works for themselves right now. We are about to get destroyed.

I liked how in his "victory" speech he said that change might not happen in the first year or the first term. How can you base your whole platform on change and then say well it might not happen. :confused2: I told my wife I'll give him a year before I start b*tching about him. After that he's fair game. :bicker:

Agree on all accounts. :beat-up:

I'm not trying to stir things up fellow, but are about to send me into insulin shock here.

Think we could get any sweeter here?

Claire has got to be liking this thread a little bit better than she was before, don't you think?
515.gif

From the outside looking in, the USA population has had a gut full of Republican policies which has left the country in a serious recession which may lead into a depression and if that is not enough, fighting a war in Iraq and Afghanistan which may lead nowhere and add to the national debt already in the trillions of dollars. IMO you guys and the world need somebody like your new president to clean up the mess he has inherited. If he handles the presidency as well as he ran his campaign for the presidency (which I am sure he will) then IMO you are in good hands.

From the outside looking in, the USA population has had a gut full of Republican policies which has left the country in a serious recession which may lead into a depression...

people use that word much to often... we are not in a recession my friend, the word has an actual definition. Two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth. We may have a slowing economy, a bad quarter followed by a standard quarter but we are not in a recession.

Ganja,
Please show us where you have information that says so. I do not think we are, and almost everyone in the financial business says we are not as well.

I am certaintly not saying we are in strong economic times but it is evident the media loves to throw that word around without knowing exactly what it is. Hence, a vast majority believes we are because if its on the news it must be true

Well said DD.

DD's right, it's still not a recession.

I'm concerned with BHO's capability, I'm still not convinced he's up to the task, nor am I convinced that W is the buffoon that so many label him with. Time will tell...

Reactions: JB
Unfortunately Gummi, you are right.

So if we believe the news, the same people that tell us when tornadoes are about to hit our house, or that Obama got elected, or any of the such, we're morons?

I googled "US economy in recession." Here are some highlights. I still believe it is. But what do I know? I'm stupid enough to believe the news.

http://www.infowars.net/articles/march2008/030308Recession.htm

http://www.econbrowser.com/archives/2008/03/harvards_feldst.html

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2008/03/15/recession_is_here_economist_declares/

Julie, that is not what DD means. What he was saying is that Recession by definition means two consecutive bad quarters. We have not had that at all. Yet the media keeps portraying that it is.

I just think there are a lot of people in the field who believe it is, like the ones I quoted. Maybe the problem is that there's just not consensus.

Julie,
You might be right. But by actuall definition we are not. Times are tough and the economy sucks. But to move this toward politics, Obama's whole platform was on change, yet his opening speech says we shouldn't expect it in his first term.

After having a day to swallow everything that just happened, I think im going to wait and see what Obama does until I start complaining. The way I look at it is that I already run a business in the ridiculously regulated state of California, how much worse could Obama be, except for when he increases our taxes. But other than that, I will survive. After all, I dont think he will start taking our children and putting them in Olympic training camps(like other communist countries do) until at least his second term.

After all, I dont think he will start taking our children and putting them in Olympic training camps(like other communist countries do) until at least his second term.

HA, that is hilarious!

welcome to the USSA

After having a day to swallow everything that just happened, I think im going to wait and see what Obama does until I start complaining. The way I look at it is that I already run a business in the ridiculously regulated state of California, how much worse could Obama be, except for when he increases our taxes. But other than that, I will survive. After all, I dont think he will start taking our children and putting them in Olympic training camps(like other communist countries do) until at least his second term.

Gasman...thats a gas. On a more serious note, how will Obama be judged if people see no or little change within say a 6 month period from now? My take is that he will focus on programs to get money into the hands of people who spend or have morgage problems not so much into the hands of people who save. If people spend other people keep their jobs, if the spending decreases guess what! The time to save is when times are good.

Bush's boys allowed the interests rate to drop too low, they were encouraging people/businesses to borrow money in fact at those rates, people would be crazy not to borrow. That is one change that we will see - regulations on borrowing.

Who knows we may yet to see more bad news resulting from policies or inaction by the Bush administration. Interesting times ahead amigos. :beat-up:

The democrats had their end in the Fannie Mae / Freddie Mac fiasco. It was under the Clinton administration that they stressed increasing the lending pools into segments of the population that were previously avoided. Along with low rates, they wanted to increase lending practices in urban and poor areas. This is a financial crisis that goes beyond any party.

People who blame Bush often view the situation in simple terms. There is plenty of blame but the doom and gloom outlook on conservatives, ideas that won Obama an election, are just typical partisanship that fills the media.

Very well said DD. No matter what candidate ran against the Democrats this election, they would have lost. Because the liberal party ran against Bush. They spoke CHANGE. And change is good, but it was never outlined what they were going to change other than to raise the crap out of taxes to small business (Joe the Plumber).

Then in the first speech our new President gives, he says no change is coming anytime soon.

Back