Club Champion Fitting - Houston

From a fitter's perspective, high-handicappers can present unusual challenges but usually a fitting is beneficial. If the swing is too erratic for a fitting, I will be honest with the customer and suggest they start a lesson package and then come back when the pro indicates. However, even most high handicappers have more consistent swings than you would anticipate. Also, poorly fit equipment can cripple you even when taking lessons; I have seen numerous players make adjustments to fit their clubs with resulting bad habits.

A good example of this took place last week. Almost all of my fittings are after the store is closed and it so happens that our pro was giving a lesson at the same time to a local TV personality. The pro was having a difficult time getting her to have proper spine tilt - she was too vertical. I saw all this out of the corner of my eye and could see the clubs were far too long for her, which I then indicated to the pro (who was already noticing the same as it turned out). Her irons were 2" too long and the longer clubs even worse. Once she had a club with the correct length in her hand it was much easier for her to get into the proper position.

This is very interesting to me, as a fellow high handicapper. I have been operating under the assumption that a "real" fitting won't be as much of a benefit until I get my handicap a bit lower - my swing is constantly changing. After reading your review though I think I might do this sooner than I was planning. The only fitting I've done is in retail stores, and my clubs are to the specs they gave me. I've had two instructors tell me that I might need more length than the simple wrist-to-floor measurement gives. You got a lot better information and specs than I did! I still want to wait a bit but an April timeframe might work. It would be really cool to play through the good weather with clubs that fit me properly. I might need you to show me a round a course or two in Houston if that happens :)

This is very interesting to me, as a fellow high handicapper. I have been operating under the assumption that a "real" fitting won't be as much of a benefit until I get my handicap a bit lower - my swing is constantly changing. After reading your review though I think I might do this sooner than I was planning. The only fitting I've done is in retail stores, and my clubs are to the specs they gave me. I've had two instructors tell me that I might need more length than the simple wrist-to-floor measurement gives. You got a lot better information and specs than I did! I still want to wait a bit but an April timeframe might work. It would be really cool to play through the good weather with clubs that fit me properly. I might need you to show me a round a course or two in Houston if that happens :)

I'm obviously not a fitter, but the fitter I used said the loft, lie, and swing weight could be changed at any time. The only issue I could see as being more difficult to change would be if you needed a longer shaft. I imagine fitters have ways to accompish that without purchasing new shafts though.

I had a fitting with Trevor and was very happy with the experience. I learned a lot and actually took some technique improvements away from the fitting as well. I started out golf hitting on the toe alot (6 months ago) and have been compensating by lining up more toward the hosel. I found that with impact tape I was over compensating and needed to line the ball up in the center of the club face. My lies didn't need adjustment on my irons but the loft did on a few clubs and Trevor took care of that. I was trying out a midsize grip on one club with mixed feelings on it. Trevor checked out my grip and said I'm in between regular and midsize, but recommended on sticking with the smallest grip that was still comfortable to make sure the grip doesn't affect me turning my hands over through the swing.

I didn't feel like he was trying to sell me anything. I'm playing reg flex clubs that are just about 6 months old. I needed to increase the swing weight on every club I had. He did so with lead tape and I saw instant improvement. I took 10 shots with my 6i as it was and then 10 more with the weight adjustments. After he removed the two worst shots from each group he showed me them on the screen and the weight cut the dispersion size in half. As a new golfer/high handicapper I was very happy. He said I was borderline between regular flex and stiff, but should expect to purchase stiff shafts on my next set. I told him I was interested in the future, maybe 6 months from now, in purchasing new irons as this first set was more about price as I bought them used for the price (I wanted to make sure golf was something I would stick with before spending too much). With this in mind, he suggested not spending the money on making the weight changes permanent and stick with the lead tape until I'm ready to buy new clubs. He also took a lot of time to offer pointers that helped me as well.

My putter fitting went about the same as the others. He didn't suggest a big change. The SAM suggested a 1* adjustment in loft on my seemore fgp from 3 to 4 degrees. He went ahead and did that for me. I didn't really see much of a difference there. I think I made 4 out of 10 ten foot putts with the remaining being about 1-3 inches pushed right but the right distance. He went over the SAM results which showed why I'm doing that and showed me a little trick lining up two golf balls to help with staying more straight back/through that quickly solved my pushing problem. I will definitely be practicing that drill to try and ingrain the technique.

He suggested golf balls based on my skill (or lack-there-of!) and answered a bunch of follow up questions I had via email after the fitting. He also let me hit several different club heads I was interested in just to satisfy my curiosity.

I played a round today and was impressed with the adjustments made to my clubs. I average a 107 and have broken 100 one time before today with a 99. Today I shot a 98 and had my 2nd birdie since starting golf. He only added the weight on some of my clubs to make sure I liked it and I think this caused a few problems at first. Switching between the two swing weights in my irons caused me to make a few over corrections early on (thin with the clubs without the weight, and then fat with the clubs with weight). I think if I would have had some range time this morning before hand I would have shaved a few more strokes off. I definitely saw improvements in accuracy today. I'm ready to get out to the range this week for some more work with these clubs.

Glad it worked out for you, if you call Trevor or email him, I am sure he would add lead tape to the other clubs to make them even. Or at the very least the clubs you use often. When I went he added lead tape to the 6 and 9. But he added the tape to all my 3 woods, 3-5 hybrids which I still play. As well as my wedges.

I went back last tuesday and he changed out all the shafts on irons as well as driver. He changed shaft, regripped, with appropriate weight for what I think was a nominal cost.

Glad it worked out for you, if you call Trevor or email him, I am sure he would add lead tape to the other clubs to make them even. Or at the very least the clubs you use often. When I went he added lead tape to the 6 and 9. But he added the tape to all my 3 woods, 3-5 hybrids which I still play. As well as my wedges.

I went back last tuesday and he changed out all the shafts on irons as well as driver. He changed shaft, regripped, with appropriate weight for what I think was a nominal cost.

Yeah, he said he would add tape the rest of the clubs if I liked the swing weight change. I'll give him another week before I bother him again. He did a few of my irons and then all 3 wedges, 2 fairway woods, 1 hybrid, and driver. He told me the prices for the services they offer and I also believe them to be fair.

I want to buy a whole new set of clubs in 6 months or so and plan on going through him. I may be crazy, but I'd really like a forged set with cavity backs in the longer irons and muscle backs from 5 or 6 through PW. I hit them all while at the fitting and none of them really felt different at impact for me. I bought a used Titleist 712 MB in stiff to practice with occasionally to see how hard blades are going to be for me to hit. I want to invest the time and money to be eventually be good at this game - maybe not a scratch golfer, but a single digit handicap. I don't really care how long it takes and plan on maintaining my club development membership for unlimited access to the range and plan on playing at least once a week when possible.

Yeah, he said he would add tape the rest of the clubs if I liked the swing weight change. I'll give him another week before I bother him again. He did a few of my irons and then all 3 wedges, 2 fairway woods, 1 hybrid, and driver. He told me the prices for the services they offer and I also believe them to be fair.

I want to buy a whole new set of clubs in 6 months or so and plan on going through him. I may be crazy, but I'd really like a forged set with cavity backs in the longer irons and muscle backs from 5 or 6 through PW. I hit them all while at the fitting and none of them really felt different at impact for me. I bought a used Titleist 712 MB in stiff to practice with occasionally to see how hard blades are going to be for me to hit. I want to invest the time and money to be eventually be good at this game - maybe not a scratch golfer, but a single digit handicap. I don't really care how long it takes and plan on maintaining my club development membership for unlimited access to the range and plan on playing at least once a week when possible.
Good Luck on your journey, are you in the Houston area?

It looks like the Club Champion in Orlando just opened. This thread has been informative. Maybe it's time I called them...

Yes, you can add extensions - pretty simple

I'm obviously not a fitter, but the fitter I used said the loft, lie, and swing weight could be changed at any time. The only issue I could see as being more difficult to change would be if you needed a longer shaft. I imagine fitters have ways to accompish that without purchasing new shafts though.

I've scheduled a complete long game fitting at the Club Champion here in Atlanta for a couple weeks from now. It is reassuring to see people with positive and very helpful experiences. And that 50% off deal is just too good to pass up right now.

Good Luck on your journey, are you in the Houston area?

Yes. Not necessarily close to where you Houston guys meet up to play - I've been following the Houston area group thread though. I might get around to trying to join you guys for a round in the near future.

bumping this thread because I've been trying to find time to plan a trip to Houston... but now Dallas is getting a Club Champion as well! They're opening next week and offering a 50% discount on fittings through Father's Day. I've already requested my fitting :D

bumping this thread because I've been trying to find time to plan a trip to Houston... but now Dallas is getting a Club Champion as well! They're opening next week and offering a 50% discount on fittings through Father's Day. I've already requested my fitting :D

That's a fanatic deal. I had a fitting at the DC (actually MD) location two weeks ago. Very thorough and informative.

My wife gave me a certificate for a full fitting at their Plano facility - I'm going next Wednesday morning.

Last edited:

Its almost a no Brainer at 50% off!

Looking to get fitted in Houston and this thread came up..... just checked the website and it doesn't appear there is a 50% deal, but hopefully.. maybe soon one will pop up.

Thanks archives for keeping this thread around and thanks peeps for the good information!

Bryan

Looking to get fitted in Houston and this thread came up..... just checked the website and it doesn't appear there is a 50% deal, but hopefully.. maybe soon one will pop up.

Thanks archives for keeping this thread around and thanks peeps for the good information!

Bryan
Usually the 50% off deal is Jan-Feb. I did it this past winter and it was incredible.

Maybe I can catch a 25 off deal... I guess the down part of the year makes sense to have your fifty off deal.. though it isn't as much an issue here in Houston.

Back