Confusion after launch monitor session

Adam0304

Formerly War_Mongering
Reaction score
Handicap
In flux.
Hey all,

It's been a long time since I've posted but I've remained a frequent lurker on the site. I visited my local gold retailer (Golf Headquarters) in Boardman Ohio with a purpose - I wanted to identify if it was time to replace my old Wilson ci11's based on all the new technology in clubs today. I took my trusty 8 iron and selected the Nike Vapor Fly, Ping G30 and the Cobra F6 (all 8 irons). These clubs were all standard L/L/L while my irons were shortened based on a fitting several years ago.

To introduce myself as a golfer - I typically play bogey golf due to a blowup hole or two but consistently score pars mixed with bogeys. My iron game is my strength and I typically hit my 8 iron 150ish with about 145 carry. My ball flight is pretty high and the ball typically lands quite soft on the green although I don't have the ability to spin it back.

I started hitting some practice shots with my 8 iron and after 10 or so I started recording data. I didn't think to take pictures of the screen until later but my 8 iron was consistently carrying between 143-152 with the total distance being between 148-160.

I then hit roughly 10 balls with each club and I've attached pictures to better describe my conundrum.

Nike Vapor Fly:
86affe64ca604f7d18c63d57774e11d4.jpg

Ping G30:
0127dc309e58fadcfafd4d6a062405b1.jpg

Cobra King F6:
04afefa2bbe4379dcc2992bca4ef5bf1.jpg

Again, each club was an 8 iron and the only difference was the store owned clubs had been taped to prevent damage to the club faces. I suppose I'm perplexed as the distance gains via these newer clubs was incredibly significant - is it because of the tape or has the technology really improved that much?

I've reached out to JMan, JB and others hundreds of times w/ equipment and fitting questions in the past and I knew once I'd taken those photos I'd be returning to post once again.

I'm looking forward to any insight and conversation this can spark. I also remember years ago there was a diagram of optimal launch angles and spin for each club and was wondering if anyone still had that image.

Thank you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spin numbers are crazy low.

Confusion after launch monitor session

I'd noticed the spin results were that of a driver - although I was hitting my 8 iron as I do on the course and and the carry numbers were that of my norm despite the spin rate being all wonky.

I'm not sure how that monitor reads your spin but tape on the face will drop the real spin rates quite a bit. I will not buy irons anymore without hitting them outside so I can see the ballflight and distances myself.

I suppose I'll just hold pat and travel out to a nearby course that allows range sessions with their launch monitor.

I'm not sure how that monitor reads your spin but tape on the face will drop the real spin rates quite a bit. I will not buy irons anymore without hitting them outside so I can see the ballflight and distances myself.
This. Taped faced will reduce spin, increasing distance and reducing lateral movement

Irons off mats with tape on the face is basically a useless exercise IMO.

Also, try not to let distance cloud your judgement. A super low spinning 8 iron is not going to be a good thing for 80% of golfers.

Other than feel it doesn't seem like the excercise was worth it!

Nope - guess I'll have to wait for another day to impulse spend $800. Good news is I got to swing 50-60 free swings on a launch monitor with my actual 8 iron.

Were there any improvements in dispersion?

FWIW, the F6 really are insanely legit.

Dispersion was pretty close with a specific club but it would change slightly between the clubs. @Jman - your review is the reason I wanted to hit the F6s!

Speaking of reviews James, you hit the ci11s at length - in terms of forgiveness, distance, altitude etc...what say you in regards to the F6s?

Waiting to demo them outdoors, side by side, is a great idea. I never purchase clubs based on store sims, but they can be useful for making comparisons. Were the ball speeds consistently higher with the F6?
Fwiw I wouldn't be surprised if they were because I found them to have higher average ball speeds than many of the other irons I tested. As a matter of fact, the only clubs that beat out the F6's for me were the XR and XR pro's(which I ended up with).

Back