Role of Right Shoulder during swing?

aPeglegNinja

Reaction score
Imagine your standing up straight and you shrug your right shoulder. It will move up, basically toward your right ear. Now, apply that same shrug in a golf swing. When I'm at the top of my backswing, often my right shoulder is shrugged upward. I don't know why I do this and can't seem to figure out how to stop it. But my question is this: Is shrugging the right shoulder an actual problem?

I find that when I make slow motion practice swings and focus intently on not allowing my right shoulder to shrug, I lose width in my swing and my right elbow/upper arm stay glued to my side. However I'm concerned this shrug is leading to either a) my club being across the path at the top, and/or b) a slight lean with my upper body toward the target when at the top of my backswing.

Anyone have or heard of this shoulder issue? And is it actually a problem by itself?

Thanks,

Will

my only experience with this was at an Ohio fall gathering where Chris Carfania(sp?) told me to do exactly this and shrug my right shoulder up to my ear in my back swing and I proceeded to hit my next 8 drives perfectly center on the club. I need to explore this again but I stopped because doing it for not too long after that I ended up with lots of neck pain which Im sure is a me issue and not the technique.

my only experience with this was at an Ohio fall gathering where Chris Carfania(sp?) told me to do exactly this and shrug my right shoulder up to my ear in my back swing and I proceeded to hit my next 8 drives perfectly center on the club. I need to explore this again but I stopped because doing it for not too long after that I ended up with lots of neck pain which Im sure is a me issue and not the technique.
Hmm, so maybe it isn't a problem...

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I have never heard of the shoulder shrug in the golf swing. I don't see any of the top players doing it nor have I taught it. I have a feeling the shrug is self correcting something else in your swing.

The shoulders should rotate around your spine. A shrug to me means there is tension present that could hinder your swing or the fluidness of the swing.

I have never heard of the shoulder shrug in the golf swing. I don't see any of the top players doing it nor have I taught it. I have a feeling the shrug is self correcting something else in your swing.

The shoulders should rotate around your spine. A shrug to me means there is tension present that could hinder your swing or the fluidness of the swing.
I think you are likely correct. By shrugging and pulling my shoulder back, I can create more turn in my backswing. Might need to work on some flexibility training.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Back