Anyone else like to tee it up with a wood driver once in awhile?

wilsonstaffiron

Reaction score
Handicap
I still like the sound and feel of a good wooden driver. As long as I don't try to kill it, I still get decent distance and can keep it in play. Can't help myself when I find a cheapo at garage sales. Anyways, I think I'm gonna put one in play for a bit just wondered if anyone else still plays one.

No sir.
But I have a fun Killer Whale from Wilson Staff with a graphite shaft in it that we have put on the launch monitor a few times.
If you make it out to a THP Event, you can have this one.

Nope. I have no desire to travel back in time.

Nope my Dad has one in the garage but i do not feel like trying it again

Nope not at all

I have an old Hogan in my back up bag, the only time it goes into play is when the wife takes my car with my clubs in it... I brought it with to top golf when a bunch of us THP'ers went and everyone had a good time hitting it though.

I thought Rambler might stick it in his bag, and I couldn't believe how far Pringles could hit it.

I still like the sound and feel of a good wooden driver. As long as I don't try to kill it, I still get decent distance and can keep it in play. Can't help myself when I find a cheapo at garage sales. Anyways, I think I'm gonna put one in play for a bit just wondered if anyone else still plays one.

It's been a while now, but I sometimes pull out the old clubs for a round.

We have an auction house close by that has one every Friday evening. Always have bags of clubs that I can get for a buck or two. Have found cash, jewelry and some other things that I can't unsee, in them. Let's just say if someone steals my clubs, he's getting the short end of the stick.

I have a few wood woods but I never hit them.

Used to carry an old persimmon 1 wood years ago. If my driver was acting poorly, I'd break that wood out and usually hit it pretty decently.

Definitely a different feeling and sound for sure. I'd rock one again if I felt I needed to.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

No way. I've hit my Dad's old persimmon woods in the past, but the distance and consistency is terrible. It will stay in the basement collecting dust.

not me..

Nope. I've hit them before and can't say I'd want to do so regularly. With modern balls they just don't quite feel right, plus didn't hit too many of them what I would consider well haha

Nope, and I have no desire to drive a Model T either.

Our skins group does this thing once a year where you have to play with clubs from the 60's/70's which must include persimmon woods. It is fun, but like going back to not having indoor plumbing.......

I put my persimmon woods, 1980 TM irons, and 1967 Ping putter in play at least once a year. Amazingly, the small size of the driver makes me focus and swing within myself and I hit more fairways that I do with a modern driver. The shorter and heavier steel shaft along with a C.O.R of about .77 and greater spin means I lose about 20-25 yards of distance but I only hit about 4 drivers per round at my home course so I find myself having the same approach distances on all but a few holes. My 1980 irons really don't play much different than a modern muscle back blade but the lofts are much weaker and they are 1/2" shorter in length so it's a mental exercise realizing that my old 3 iron is 23*, nearly identical to my XR Pro 5 iron. My average round with these 35 year old clubs the last 5 years is 75, only a little over a stroke worse than my average score with modern clubs.

Funny thing. A couple of years ago played the local course with an elderly gentleman and couldn't help but notice his club setup looking like it belonged in the Smithsonian. Plaid bag and all ,Yea, he waxed my butt all over the place. I'm hoping he was a ringer sent in to make me feel bad about the new burner plus I'd just bought.

I put my persimmon woods, 1980 TM irons, and 1967 Ping putter in play at least once a year. Amazingly, the small size of the driver makes me focus and swing within myself and I hit more fairways that I do with a modern driver. The shorter and heavier steel shaft along with a C.O.R of about .77 and greater spin means I lose about 20-25 yards of distance but I only hit about 4 drivers per round at my home course so I find myself having the same approach distances on all but a few holes. My 1980 irons really don't play much different than a modern muscle back blade but the lofts are much weaker and they are 1/2" shorter in length so it's a mental exercise realizing that my old 3 iron is 23*, nearly identical to my XR Pro 5 iron. My average round with these 35 year old clubs the last 5 years is 75, only a little over a stroke worse than my average score with modern clubs.

I find that my score is usually with in a few strokes when using the old equipment also. You're exactly right about the distances, I play my old 3i from the same place as I would my current 5i.

I must be an outlier, but I still like to play wooden clubs. I actually don't find them all that hard to hit, especially a 3- or 5-wood. Distance is a few percent less, but in the grand scheme distance is not typically an issue for me. When I started to play golf again this spring after a (15+ year) layoff, I actually went and bought two sets of (real) woods, a set of blond Ping Eye 1-3-5 with Aldila HM-40 shafts, and a set of Wood Bros. Kool Cat F1, F3.5, F4.5 with the old Loomis graphite shafts. And a set of Hogan Apex blades. I thought it was cool that I could pickup some old equipment that I admired as a kid for "pennies on the dollar". I played my first 10+ rounds as I relearned how to play with the Apex blades and either the Pings or Kool Cat's for woods, before I ever touched a modern club. The Pings are cool because there are so many of them around that I don't feel bad if I destroy them, and so far they have held up mint. A couple weeks ago I cracked the face insert on my F4.5 wood, and that made me quite sad. That club was a really good weapon, extremely good 5-wood.

I guess for me golf is kind of as much about the journey, as outright max performance. There is such an aesthetic appeal to wooden clubs for me, and like @tahoebum notes - I don't score all that different with blades and woods, vs. cavity backs and modern metal woods. I will add that in the early nineties, I was not having good luck with metal drivers and was absolutely striping a Persimmon driver, much to the chagrin of my opponents in HS match play. Maybe that is where the nostalgia comes from.

I must be an outlier, but I still like to play wooden clubs. I actually don't find them all that hard to hit, especially a 3- or 5-wood. Distance is a few percent less, but in the grand scheme distance is not typically an issue for me. When I started to play golf again this spring after a (15+ year) layoff, I actually went and bought two sets of (real) woods, a set of blond Ping Eye 1-3-5 with Aldila HM-40 shafts, and a set of Wood Bros. Kool Cat F1, F3.5, F4.5 with the old Loomis graphite shafts. And a set of Hogan Apex blades. I thought it was cool that I could pickup some old equipment that I admired as a kid for "pennies on the dollar". I played my first 10+ rounds as I relearned how to play with the Apex blades and either the Pings or Kool Cat's for woods, before I ever touched a modern club. The Pings are cool because there are so many of them around that I don't feel bad if I destroy them, and so far they have held up mint. A couple weeks ago I cracked the face insert on my F4.5 wood, and that made me quite sad. That club was a really good weapon, extremely good 5-wood.

I guess for me golf is kind of as much about the journey, as outright max performance. There is such an aesthetic appeal to wooden clubs for me, and like @tahoebum notes - I don't score all that different with blades and woods, vs. cavity backs and modern metal woods. I will add that in the early nineties, I was not having good luck with metal drivers and was absolutely striping a Persimmon driver, much to the chagrin of my opponents in HS match play. Maybe that is where the nostalgia comes from.

haha I still have black Ping Eye2 1-3-5 woods.

I played those damn things when they were new and not going to even think about putting one in play!

I'll take one out to the range from time to time. Wouldn't use it on the course.

I use old, outdated, crappy tech every time I turn on my TV or get in my car.

I'm going to continue to keep golf from sucking by using new shiny toys in at least one area of my life.

Not since I traded my MacGregor Tommy Armour's in in the late 80's for my first metal set (Pinseekers)

Back