Anyone else like to tee it up with a wood driver once in awhile?

I don't have any persimmon anymore (in adult size, anyway), but I do occasionally get out my original Deep Face King Cobra from the mid 90s and hit it. I have searched eBay for old woods in the past, just for fun.

I have not hit one in forever, but I would not mind hitting one on the range if i had the chance

I did just last month. Was surprised how good it felt and how straight they were going.

There was a set from my grandfather I think in the house when I was growing up. My brother and I used to play around with it sometimes. He tried to explain some stuff to me - I used the putter to play around some inside but rarely hit any other club. Of course, the putter was one of those you could swing from either side; the other clubs were a little harder - I can swing righty but not quite so well.

I'd try wooden equipment in the right circumstances I guess.

Nothing like the feel of persimmon and balata. That is how I learned to golf. Not that I'd give up what I have now, but yeah, I have one I hit now and then.

The other thing about "woods" is that they are a connection to how the game was played (for me) at young age, and to the previous generations that taught me how to play. I like taking that feeling out on course, and would give most anything to be able to play a round with any of my four grandparents that played (long deceased).

Not quite a persimmon woods but I still game a metal mcgregor 3 wood I bought in the early to mid 90's I think (first proper set as a teenager).

It's a horrible club. It's small, unforgiving and doesn't go very far. However, because I've had it for around 20 years, I know how to hit it. If my driver is off I know I can use it and get it onto the fairway and soft my scores from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have a few persimmon woods, at least one that needs to be restored...anyone know of someone who does this well???

i played my father in laws tommy armour persimmon woods this weekend. driver, 3 wood, 4 wood. the driver and 3 wood gave me a much lower ball flight than the current generation counterparts that i play. But man, the roll was incredible as i usually get little to no roll out. on the other hand, i could regrip the four wood and swap that out for the 4 hybrid in my bag if i only needed to hit from the fairway. it had a very good feel to it as well as ball flight.
i also played with his armour pga irons. the mid and short irons were okay, you better hit the center if you want anything close to resembling a good feel and flight. i commented to my father in law, no wonder you shot in the 90s all the time, hitting with the 2-4 irons is like using a glorified putter! lol

Don't have any and probably won't go out of my way to get any. Though I swear my rentals at Skylinks in Cali came close.

Back