Player most likely to choke under pressure?

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
I started a thread a few weeks ago about most intimidating player on tour, and a lot of people mentioned Dustin Johnson and Jason Day.

Over the past year we have seen Johnsold fold on the final holes and drop victory right from his hands. We just witnessed Jason Day do something similar.

Fowler has the "closed on Sundays" stigma and has long been known to throw out am awful round when it's needed the most.

Rory at Augusta a few years back with a complete implosion that cost him a major.

Of the current crop of golfers in the field, who would you pick as the one who would most likely choke away a victory on a Sunday?

Sergio....thread closer?

i don't know what's going on with rickie right now. his doesn't seem limited to sunday, though.

jordan is starting to worry me a bit.

westwood can put up a big stinker on sunday when it matters.

but yeah, i'll go with sergio.

I think many of the top players are fragile compared to an era ago, but right now I would say Jason Day or Spieth. Both are so brilliant but also mental (not in a bad way, but in the thinking way). I think that means remember and remember is a bad word on Sundays.

I should expound. Was trying to be a bit humorous. I really like Sergio and hope he does win a major one day. Maybe even this week at Troon. Picked by Dean right so has to be good odds with this year's track record of major picks by he and JB. Would love to see it.

I would say Rickie and Furyk are the first two who come to mind.

I think it's Speith. With the way he reacts to his bad shots I think he gets in his head a little too much right now.

Right now, Rory would be my pick. What happened at Augusta was light years ago and he's a much different player now. If his game is in shape to get him into contention on Sunday, he's not choking because of pressure.

Lee Westwood has choked away quite a few chances to win a major.

To me the first name that comes to mind here is Henrik Stenson.

He obviously has one of the best games of anyone, and he always seems to find himself in contention at majors, but always fades away with either a major mistake or something.

Speith and Day might be the most fragile right now but i think they will get heads right but Sergio has a proven track record for blowing it

Got to go with Bubba!!!

Right now, Rory would be my pick. What happened at Augusta was light years ago and he's a much different player now. If his game is in shape to get him into contention on Sunday, he's not choking because of pressure.
Read the title again dummy....the player MOST likely to choke.

I'd have to say Stenson or Bubba comes to mind. I know Bubba has 2 green jackets that he had to clutch up to win, but I still think he's a mushroom cloud laying mother effer waiting to happen down the stretch.

I'd say Lee Westwood or Garcia. Lee rappelled down the board at Oakmont and turned into DJ's cheering section by the turn.

I'd say Lee Westwood or Garcia. Lee rappelled down the board at Oakmont and turned into DJ's cheering section by the turn.
Those were my first two thoughts as well.

Fresh off the sucky board includes Westy and Lowry.

I'm not sure who is the most likely guy, but I do think we should limit to top 100 or whatever as guys like Landry get caught up in the moment as lacking experience and fold like a deck of cards.

Spieth and Day would only be likely to choke because they are most likely to be in the lead and in the position to blow it. But I think any sort of choke artist label is silly given how they have played over the last year.

Player most likely to choke under pressure?

Speith is unbelievably clutch with the putter but his swing doesn't seem to hold up under pressure. You can't expect to live on 20 footers alone though - he needs to get his long game tight to take pressure off the flat stick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westwood, Garcia, or Day come to mind.

Sergio....thread closer?

This was sadly my first thought, even though I like the guy.

Other guys who come to mind are Lee Westwood and Rickie Fowler. Up until recently, DJ, but over the last few weeks BOY has he shaken that stigma.

I can't believe hoe many Day and Spieth votes we are seeing, considering they have won 15 times in the past year and a half. That I'd an awful lot of non choking.

They aren't the closers tiger was, but hardly choke artists as a whole.

Fresh off the sucky board includes Westy and Lowry.

I'm not sure who is the most likely guy, but I do think we should limit to top 100 or whatever as guys like Landry get caught up in the moment as lacking experience and fold like a deck of cards.

True. I'd say a guy needs a decent amount of seasoning before you really worry he'll climb into the tank on Sunday. It would be easy to say guys like Landry or Smylie Kaufman swallowed an apple on Sunday in majors this year, but there's nothing wrong with the moment just being too big for them based on their experience level. That youth doesn't really apply to Rickie, but I can't count him as a choker as well. He just has a tendency to run into the occasional buzzsaw, like Kaymer and Rory in 2014.

I can't believe hoe many Day and Spieth votes we are seeing, considering they have won 15 times in the past year and a half. That I'd an awful lot of non choking.

They aren't the closers tiger was, but hardly choke artists as a whole.

Because you have to be leading or close late in a tournament to choke right? I mean I could say Bowditch but he doesn't make it to Sunday.

I would have to say Rickie and Sergio, they both seem to struggle when it comes into day 4

Back