Nike Vapor Speed Driver - Preview Thread

Can anyone comment as to the stock Fubuki in the Speed. The salesguy I normally chat with at Golfsmith said it was extremely soft to flex. Wondering if others have felt the same.

Everytime I go to Golfsmith all the Vapor drivers are being hit by people. Seems like some decent buzz around it.

Its an "authentic" Fubuki Z, according to Nike when I got to sit down with R&D, it just has a Nike/Volt paint job.

I am also interested in how the two models compare.

Not the best I've taken, was cold as eff out and I didn't get the light box out today, but these will work until tomorrow, some more in hands other than those on the first page:

DSC_0512-L.jpg

DSC_0514-L.jpg

DSC_0516-L.jpg

DSC_0521-L.jpg

DSC_0519-L.jpg

DSC_0522-L.jpg

DSC_0524-L.jpg

DSC_0523-L.jpg

DSC_0526-L.jpg

Shame they still use such a crappy stock grip. Small, I know, but sooooooo bad IMO.

I need to hit one of these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're in the middle of a desert, and don't sweat a lot, the Tour Wrap 2G is probably fine. Here, it's a recipe for throwing the club. I hate that Nike uses that as their stock grip these days.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one. I liked the Covert and Covert 2.0, and this is a club I'm interested in.

Its a TERRIBLE grip. I agree entirely.

It's an easy change, but I hate hitting Nike clubs in a bay. Sweaty palms + G2 Wrap = Disaster.

Jman: Thanks for the pictures. That's a nice looking stick.

I'm in the minority, but I love the Tour Wrap 2G. That's what I regrip everything to. It could be because I wear gloves on both hands though. It's nice and tacky.

Jman: Thanks for the pictures. That's a nice looking stick.

I'm in the minority, but I love the Tour Wrap 2G. That's what I regrip everything to. It could be because I wear gloves on both hands though. It's nice and tacky.
Haha, every grip works for someone brother, nothing wrong with that. For me when we get humid they spell disaster, but in non humid and winter days they've never bothered me.

Shame they still use such a crappy stock grip. Small, I know, but sooooooo bad IMO.
Great grip when everything is dry, horrible grip if anything is wet

That is one of the sexiest clubs I have ever seen. Nike really did a fantastic job with the color scheme and placement.

That is one of the sexiest clubs I have ever seen. Nike really did a fantastic job with the color scheme and placement.

Wait until I get some side by sides with the Pro this evening, its definitely a more sizeable head, but pretty damn similar to the 815 in footprint.

Haha, every grip works for someone brother, nothing wrong with that. For me when we get humid they spell disaster, but in non humid and winter days they've never bothered me.

I hear you on that.

I did see what you're talking about one time playing in the rain. I'd played in light mist and it was fine (probably due to the gloves I wear). That time though when it was pouring, forget about it.

What I'm really looking for is a half corded version of this grip. Basically a combo of a NDMC with a Tour Wrap 2G. Anyone know of one of those?

I hear you on that.

I did see what you're talking about one time playing in the rain. I'd played in light mist and it was fine (probably due to the gloves I wear). That time though when it was pouring, forget about it.

What I'm really looking for is a half corded version of this grip. Basically a combo of a NDMC with a Tour Wrap 2G. Anyone know of one of those?

UTx wrap. Trust me.

Thought some might want to see these, vs the Vapor Pro:

DSC_0588_zps1kwlcvin.jpg

DSC_0590_zpsttkzp4wh.jpg

DSC_0591_zpsiynvpaww.jpg

Will be getting out TOMORROW with this one. Feedback thereafter, if you have any Q's, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thought some might want to see these, vs the Vapor Pro:

DSC_0588_zps1kwlcvin.jpg

DSC_0590_zpsttkzp4wh.jpg

DSC_0591_zpsiynvpaww.jpg

Will be getting out TOMORROW with this one. Feedback thereafter, if you have any Q's, please don't hesitate to ask.
Wow. What a difference in comparison!

Seriously it looks like a Fw and a driver almost!

Seriously it looks like a Fw and a driver almost!
Hahaha, it really does. The angle accentuates it a bit but the difference is there, the speed is a sizeable footprint, but it keeps a good shape still. I'm eager to hit it tomorrow, especially side by side with the Vapor Pro and the 815

That Fubuki shaft with the matching color scheme looks great to me. Really wish the Speed was black like the Pro, though. I think it's a solid price and high launch with good spin are two things I'm always looking for. Looking forward to your thoughts comparing the 815 and the Speed.

That Fubuki shaft with the matching color scheme looks great to me. Really wish the Speed was black like the Pro, though. I think it's a solid price and high launch with good spin are two things I'm always looking for. Looking forward to your thoughts comparing the 815 and the Speed.

It'll be interesting for sure. Going to hit it today and get some thoughts against the 815. I honestly expect a higher launch than the Vapor Pro, but not as high as the 815.

Hit this really well today. Pitted it head to head with the 815 a bit at the end of my round and was surprised. Will def get into detail tomorrow, but as I saw with the three models on trackman in Ft Worth, the gamut is covered with these three releases, the speed is definitely the higher launching head, with a bit more spin of course.

More finite thoughts tomorrow

I have to admit, having been completely SPOILED by the 815 Alpha lately, its made it hard to focus in on any driver because of the launch and spin. The Vapor Pro is excellent at what it does for a mid launch and LOW spin, but the Nike line definitely needed that higher launching and marginally higher spinning head in it as well. After finally getting COURSE time with the Vapor Speed (only hit it on range at The Oven) I can honestly see more of why ORIGINALLY the Nike vapor driver lineup was intended to be Flex and Speed only. The Vapor Pro and the Flex have a lot of similarities when the core is back on the Flex, but the Speed is a different beast than the other two.

Obviously as shown by the pics I put up next to the Pro, its more sizeable, but at address it doesn't look huge, in fact I need to grab some side by sides with the 815 because I went back and forth seamlessly yesterday. The feeling at impact is incredibly solid, almost dense in fact, meaning its got a firmness at impact and a sharper solid sound there. Across the face you do get changes, but its not super varying.

The surprise was how much better it really did launch compared to the Pro in the same loft and shaft. Played with it paired with the Fubuki Z and the Diamana S+, good trajectory no mater the setup and a definite mid-high to high ball flight for me. I didn't record any smash or ball speed numbers with it yet, but it reacted well to misses high with obvious added height but a maintained line and solid distance. The toe strikes seemed to not drop off too much and the gear effect there wasn't too bad, heel side though did show the most flight alteration (heel-fade). Didn't miss low, so I'll keep an eye on that. Peak flight was actually on par with what I get from the 815 right now and off of four tee's I hit pretty much identical tee shots with them, ending within 3 feet every time. Will be really interested to see the ball speeds when I start recording, especially compared to the Vapor Pro. Gotta give it up to companies like Callaway, Cobra, and Nike who are releasing driver lines that cover the gamut of golfers needs.

Also want to mention stability. As with the Vapor Pro, this head is SO MUCH more stable on misses compared to the 2.0, 2.0 Tour, and 1.0 that I have hit and spent time with in the past. Nike did add the "Fly-Beams" (what is it with companies names for things this year? HA! Fly-Beams, Turbo-Rubber, etc) and the intent was to shore up the twisting at impact on misses, I cant disprove this in all the time I've spent with the Pro and now the Speed.

Anyways, some early and broad thoughts. Will get more time this week and hopefully throw this one down on paper thereafter.

Also want to mention stability. As with the Vapor Pro, this head is SO MUCH more stable on misses compared to the 2.0, 2.0 Tour, and 1.0 that I have hit and spent time with in the past. Nike did add the "Fly-Beams" (what is it with companies names for things this year? HA! Fly-Beams, Turbo-Rubber, etc) and the intent was to shore up the twisting at impact on misses, I cant disprove this in all the time I've spent with the Pro and now the Speed.

This is something I'm very excited to hear. The 2.0 was a big improvement over the 1.0, and if the speed continues that, it will be a good driver for me. I got along pretty well with the 1.0. Have the Speed coming, and will share my thoughts once I get a chance to get it to the range or monitor.

Back