Another new Golfer in the making

jim54

must be the shafts
Reaction score
Handicap
Sunday I took a friend out Golfing for his 1st full 18 holes, we played the Cedar Grove CC in Antigua which is a Par 71 6,150 yds from the tips. It was a very tough Course with some huge Elevation changes and very small Greens. The Rental clubs were complete $hit some Wilson Ultra from it seemed the 1960's and in terrible condition, mixed flexs and the grips were garbage in some cases just fuzz.

I have to say it was the most fun I have had Golfing outside of THP Events, my friend is my age (57) but has been an avid Tennis player for years at a very high Am. level. He took to the Golf swing right away and after a Breakfast ball hit a Driver out there around 200 yds with a baby draw! He proceeded to hit just about any iron fairly well, there were quite a few bad swings and I just had him drop another ball and go again. He hit several drives that were out there over 240 with roll and seeing the fun he was having was so great, even just making good contact brought a smile to his face and made me remember that feeling or so long ago when you flushed one for the 1st time.

We did go though 10 balls on the front nine but by the back only lost 3, so he improved a great deal in a short time and I lost at least 5 on the front with the blind tee shots and not knowing where to place the ball. Most of the Fairways sloped severely one way or the other either up hill or down and the fairways were very dry and hard.

It was really cool to just try to hit the ball with crap clubs and go hit it again, we did not keep score and the Course was empty so there was no pressure to hurry, we still finished in 4 hrs and he was ready to go again.

He is all excited to play again and I will be putting a set together for him with midsized grips (XL glove had no chance of fitting him) standard L/L, maybe some 2-3 year old Callaway stuff from Driver to Putter and a bag. With some newer tech and some more time he has potential to be a good golfer.

Great fun to see someone get bit by the Golfing bug and having the great hand to eye coordination he has from tennis and understanding almost instinctively the clubface to ball contact relationship for draw / fade and backspin will be a big help to him.

This game is fun when you look at it like a beginner again and drop the expectations and pressure we all seem to get when we get a little better. Just hit it smile and go hit it again....

Cool story Jim. Sometimes I feel like a relative new comer on the course in terms of my play.

Back