Is there a more/most difficult hole/s, yet you tend to like and often play very well?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
We often may talk of difficult holes that are always a problem but what about more difficult holes that just some how agree with you?

One hole in particular which happens to be the hardest par4 on my most frequented golf course for whatever reason I just love it and have scored well on very often. Its a long par4 that rides uphill significantly to a raised narrow green protected by trees on the right and bunkers both sides and sloping steep landscape around it. Its a hole in which many better players even have trouble scoring well on (hence the hardest par4 on the course). Just something about the hole that agrees with my eye and I am comfy playing even though a more difficult hole to play. Surly ive had my share of poor play too...lol. But tend to play it well more often than not. Plenty bogeys, pars, and even occasional bird. Most recently I almost holed out my approach for an eagle as the ball was only inches from the cup for the tap in birdie. I don't know what its is but even though not an easy hole it just fits me and my mojo:)

Anyway what about you. More difficult holes that just tend to agree with you? often play them well regardless?

At our former course, #10 was along par 5.
There were trees out in front of the tee box, and I would score an 8 pretty often. Finally, I was able to tame the hole and get par sometimes, and made a few birdies.
After that, I considered bogey a good score on it.
The new course we play, #11 is a long par 5. Most people hate it.
So far, I am able to get my second shot within 20 foot from the green.
I can see a few pars, and maybe a birdie in the future.

I've just happened to birdie the #1 handicap hole at Glen Mills (PA) the last two times I played it. Scorecard lists it as 349 yards from the tees I play, but when I use my GPS it's closer to 300. Both times have been 3 wood off the tee. About 60 yards left, which I used my 58* to pitch it up there. 1 putt.

Picture below. Narrow with trouble left and right, so an accurate tee shot is required.

l52.jpg

The course i play most often is a 400 yard dogleg right, a creek on the right and trees on the left. It is the #1 handicap hole. The last three times i have played this hole i have gone par, birdie, par. and i'm a 20 handicap. Not sure why but i just play the hole very well every time. Mental game!

#17 at my home course. Par 3 about 145 yards but surrounded on three sides with water. Very long narrow green and the wind always seems to be coming straight in your face. I usually (not always) play this hole well. If the pin is in the front, it is not difficult to spin the ball into the water. You have an 80-100 ft putt if you are at the wrong end on the green also!

I've just happened to birdie the #1 handicap hole at Glen Mills (PA) the last two times I played it. Scorecard lists it as 349 yards from the tees I play, but when I use my GPS it's closer to 300. Both times have been 3 wood off the tee. About 60 yards left, which I used my 58* to pitch it up there. 1 putt.

The course i play most often is a 400 yard dogleg right, a creek on the right and trees on the left. It is the #1 handicap hole. The last three times i have played this hole i have gone par, birdie, par. and i'm a 20 handicap. Not sure why but i just play the hole very well every time. Mental game!

Check out this thread: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...5408-Hole-Handicap-What-does-it-actually-mean

Most people think the #1 handicap hole is the hardest hole on the course and that the rank of the hole related to the difficulty of the hole. I did too, until I looked into looking at updating the handicaps of our holes since we redesigned the course.

The hole handicaps are not based on how hard they are, but instead are based on where higher handicap golfers need help when playing with a low handicap player. The hardest hole on the course could be the hardest for everyone, so it could possibly be the #17 or #18 handicap hole on the course since handicap holes are based the difference of a hole score between low caps to high caps.

You have to take the average scores of each hole between the good and not as good players, find the difference, and rank them in order of the difference. Holes with trouble, such as OB, water, traps tend to hurt higher handicaps than low handicaps. But not always!

So your "hardest hole" won't necessarily be the #1 handicap hole.

Check out this thread: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...5408-Hole-Handicap-What-does-it-actually-mean

Most people think the #1 handicap hole is the hardest hole on the course and that the rank of the hole related to the difficulty of the hole. I did too, until I looked into looking at updating the handicaps of our holes since we redesigned the course.

The hole handicaps are not based on how hard they are, but instead are based on where higher handicap golfers need help when playing with a low handicap player. The hardest hole on the course could be the hardest for everyone, so it could possibly be the #17 or #18 handicap hole on the course since handicap holes are based the difference of a hole score between low caps to high caps.

You have to take the average scores of each hole between the good and not as good players, find the difference, and rank them in order of the difference. Holes with trouble, such as OB, water, traps tend to hurt higher handicaps than low handicaps. But not always!

for myself I did know that already and is why I said hardest and not which number handicap. But to be fair to that equation while the #1 hc hole isn't necessarily the hardest hole its likely going to be pretty close or at least in the top few.

for myself I did know that already and is why I said hardest and not which number handicap. But to be fair to that equation while the #1 hc hole isn't necessarily the hardest hole its likely going to be pretty close or at least in the top few.

It could be. But it could be way down the list as well. Our old #1 handicap hole dropped to #6 on that nine. It all depends not on the difficulty of the hole, but where the higher handicaps are going to score significantly higher than the lower handicaps. At the end of the day, the handicap hole has little to do with how "hard" a hole is. It is the holes where high caps need help in competition.

The new handicaps at my course are the top one and the old are on the bottom. Six holes stayed the same, three on each nine. Fives holes changed by 1 on their respective sides, two changed by 2, three changed by 3.

After that, the old #1 hole dropped 5 spots on the front nine and the new #1 handicap hole on the front was #8 on that nine before the change. (Note I said "on that nine" not on the course, since they are figured independently of each other)

I still think that hole #2 is the "hardest" hole on the course. But handicapwise, it's one that low caps and high caps both struggle on, so less help is needed for the not as good golfers.

51f29b3f798a998eefa1b6ae2dfd35d2.jpg

Picture below. Narrow with trouble left and right, so an accurate tee shot is required.

l52.jpg
Tough hole if you push it a tad right. Last time I played there I was on the hill on the right. Tough par from that position! Great hole on a great course.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It could be. But it could be way down the list as well. Our old #1 handicap hole dropped to #6 on that nine. It all depends not on the difficulty of the hole, but where the higher handicaps are going to score significantly higher than the lower handicaps. At the end of the day, the handicap hole has little to do with how "hard" a hole is. It is the holes where high caps need help in competition.

The new handicaps at my course are the top one and the old are on the bottom. Six holes stayed the same, three on each nine. Fives holes changed by 1 on their respective sides, two changed by 2, three changed by 3.

After that, the old #1 hole dropped 5 spots on the front nine and the new #1 handicap hole on the front was #8 on that nine before the change. (Note I said "on that nine" not on the course, since they are figured independently of each other)

I still think that hole #2 is the "hardest" hole on the course. But handicapwise, it's one that low caps and high caps both struggle on, so less help is needed for the not as good golfers.

I'm hearing you smalls. Funny how many times people will say or wonder and mention how they don't see a par 5 as one of the hardest holes. Even when I explain how the hc rating works they still think an easier par5 shouldn't be rated in the top. But I say...if you really think about it most bogey players vs scratch players are going to need the most help on par5's even if its a relatively easier par 5 for the scratch player. The bogey (or lessor ability) player simply has far less chance of hitting two really good strikes in a row to even get reasonable close the green not to mention then still having to get up/down from there. Too often will be hitting 3 or perhaps even 4 and still not even be in short game territory but instead still basically hitting an approach. This is why imo many par 5's are often among the lower numbered hc holes even if it doesn't seen like a hard par5.

But you make a great point that while there may be a hole that is hard to score well on for the bogey player it may also be hard for the scratch player and therefore the hc rating sort of cancels itself out for that hole. It could be other holes where the bogey player is more often out scored by the scratch player even though they are not the hardest holes on the course.

Thanks for the info, smallville!!!
I never knew this.
It does make a lot more sense,

l52.jpg

Tough looking approach and green

Tough looking approach and green

Yea I agree. That simply looks like hit the fairway or hit trouble. Just no room imo for anything that's less than god from the tee or from an approach. If all those trees are filled in (summer time) must look like a narrow closed up hole.

There's a par 3 on the course I regularly play at which I just love.

It's usually only between 140 to 170 yards long, but there's water on the left and right, depending on where the pin is you might have to carry water as well. There's a tree between you and the green, and bunkers on the left and far side of the green. The green has two tiers, and If you're on the wrong one you have a pretty tricky putt. To make it more difficult you hit it from an elevated tee (a levee that surrounds part of the course), where the wind is always blowing hard. Depending on the wind you have to hit anything form a 50* wedge to a 4i, so club selection is always a big deal.

It's a tee shot I love, and walking away making making par can feel like a birdie.

Back