Do Dress Codes bother you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't care less what others wear, but I will always wear a polo and golf shorts/slacks no matter the dress code. I cannot imagine something being such an inconvenience. You can get golf apparel very cheap and it is comfortable. I just don't see it as an issue at all.

If a persons excuse for not playing golf is because they have to wear a polo and golf shorts/slacks, I don't think that argument holds much water honestly.

Where are these courses? I ask in all seriousness. Is this a northern thing?
I have been playing 20+ yrs and I have never been to a course that required tucked in shirts or belts.
And I have played on lots of different courses both stateside and overseas. Japan, Korea, Dubai etc... Although mostly in the south in the US.
Have also played at courses that were over $100 to play and I have never encountered this strict of a dress code.

If personally does not bother me, as long as the jeans or shirt are not torn. I have gone to the range, practice area in jeans countless times. Never have gone without wearing khakis or golf shorts. I personally like to keep my shirt untucked but have no beef tucking it in if a club has a rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see why a dress code would bother anyone on the golf course at all. I had a dress code in school, I had dress regulations in the Army, and I have a dress code at work now. I have been to restaurants and gatherings with a dress code as well. If a course wants the people who are using their facility to look a certain way, so be it.

Me personally, I will always wear appropriate golf attire on the course. It's just the way I was taught the game. You went to the golf course looking the part and let's face it, I like to look good on the golf course. It helps that my work attire is also appropriate on the golf course for the most part.

I'm 18 years older than you and even I think that it sounds a bit ridiculous. If you really observe any of those points, then you are a living anachronism. When I see film clips from old ball games with the guys all wearing ties, I can only think of how horribly uncomfortable that would be.

However, my feelings on it are heavily influenced by the fact that I've lived in the wild west since my senior year in high school. We haven't been civilized for as long as you Easterners have. Denim is the standard out here for work and casual wear. I consider golf to be a casual activity, therefore, I don't see anything wrong with casually wearing jeans when I play. I don't see anything wrong with wearing jeans to an average restaurant. I don't own a suit. I have one tie and one sport coat, and they get worn so rarely that I have to check ahead of time to be sure that the jacket still fits if I'm going to someplace where I will need them.

I like the hoss you're riding there cowboy. :cowboy: I have one suit and it's in the closet in case I kick the bucket. I have a few sports coats but can't remember the last time one was worn. Most of my clothes are golf related or sports type clothes. The odd thing is I haven't wore a pair of good jeans since we moved up here. Must be something in the water.

Where are these courses? I ask in all seriousness. Is this a northern thing?
I have been playing 20+ yrs and I have never been to a course that required tucked in shirts or belts.
And I have played on lots of different courses both stateside and overseas. Japan, Korea, Dubai etc... Although mostly in the south in the US.
Have also played at courses that were over $100 to play and I have never encountered this strict of a dress code.

I dont live in the north. Here is an example of the rules some clubs have and this is one that I played in the last 3 weeks.

Proper attire is required at all times. Golf shoes must be cleatless or have non-metal cleats. Men are required to wear shirts will collars and sleeves, slacks or Bermuda length shorts. Shirts must be worn tucked-in. Turtlenecks, mock turtlenecks, sweaters and sweatshirts designed for golf are permissible. Cut-offs, denim, sweat pants, or athletic shorts are not permitted.

Honest question, as a military guy, does it bother you if someone does not remove their hat or stand for the National Anthem?

I dont live in the north.
Honest question, as a military guy, does it bother you if someone does not remove their hat or stand for the National Anthem?

I can answer that for me...... Yes it does. It also bothers me to watch people on Ft. Bragg who do not stop what they're doing when they're taking down the flag for the day and show the proper respect. I see it all the time, as I'm on the golf course on Bragg playing when the bugle starts. I've also seen military members, even officers run for their cars or the nearest building instead of saluting the flag.

I also don't like when people wear hats indoors, and always take mine off before I walk inside. I hate seeing people eating in a restaurant with a hat on as well. I thought this was good etiquette in life, not just around the golf course.

Who wears shirts tucked in without a belt? I have seen that maybe twice ever, not counting those Sansabelt pants in the 70s.

You have to tuck in your shirt and wear a belt??? I guess we couldn't have a THP event there :p
Yes and I wish they would relax this rule, especially for kids and teenagers. Maybe if we can turn over another 50 of the older, snobbier members they will relax this rule. They just started allowing jeans in the bar area(but nowhere else on the property) shortly after I joined 5 years ago and that was a contentous vote. BTW, no talking on or ringing/vibrating cell phones allowed on the course either. Everybody has their cell phone with them but muted. If anybody does talk they make sure they are brief and not within earshot of any other group. I thought I would hate this rule but now that I've lived with it for 5 years I really like it. I was on a resort course in Hawaii last month with a buddy and got paired up with another twosome. One of they guys was on his damn phone for about 90 minutes of the round and it really started to get on my nerves.

I dont live in the north. Here is an example of the rules some clubs have and this is one that I played in the last 3 weeks.

Proper attire is required at all times. Golf shoes must be cleatless or have non-metal cleats. Men are required to wear shirts will collars and sleeves, slacks or Bermuda length shorts. Shirts must be worn tucked-in. Turtlenecks, mock turtlenecks, sweaters and sweatshirts designed for golf are permissible. Cut-offs, denim, sweat pants, or athletic shorts are not permitted.

No it doesn't bother me one bit. That is their right. That's what brave men/women put their lives on the line for everyday.
Many people have died for that FREEDOM, and if those people freely choose to not remove their hat or stand for the National Anthem then I respect their right to do so.

Just as I respect someone's choice to wear jeans and a t shirt to golf in if the course allows it. I also respect the courses right to have a dress code.

It's one of the many things that make this country great IMO.

Who wears shirts tucked in without a belt? I have seen that maybe twice ever, not counting those Sansabelt pants in the 70s.
I've made that mistake a few times..it sucked.

This is pretty interesting .

People have some strong feelings both ways.

I'm sure my opinion is already known from the Rickie thread so I won't rehash it again.

Baseball, football, volleyball, tennis, hockey, basketball, running, bowling, and about 100 more have dress codes/uniforms. It's part of the game, part of the culture. I like it.

I don't mind it at all. Actually, I have acquired an affinity for golf shirts, which my wife finds to be crazy, because I am totally a t-shirt and shorts all year kind of guy. In this age of baggy pants and hoodlum wanna-be garb, looking "respectable" on the golf course is a nice change.

As far as expense, I call nonsense. Target sells some nice golf shirts/shorts/slacks, seasonally. I just picked some up myself. Shirts and shorts were 19.99 and slacks were 24.99. Less than a dozen premium balls. Budgetgolf.com also sells close outs for cheap. I have picked up some $60+ shirts for less than $20.

No jeans should be on a golf course.
Collared shirts should be worn on a golf course.

I STRONGLY support a dress code. It makes perfect sense to me.

I 100% agree with this. It's not that it's distracting, but golf is a game of great tradition. Looking nice while playing is part of that tradition.

A dress code is part of golf and I fully support it. My club is strict about belts and golf shirts being tucked in. IMO, I see plenty of wife beaters and pants worn too low with underwear hanging out when I go the the store or other public places. I don't need to see that on the golf course.

Actually this isn't true. There is nothing in the rules that says how a person should dress to play the game. It may be course policy, but it isn't a golf policy. That is strictly a choice made by the course or club, and depends on how restrictive they want to be with their customer base. Most courses which receive some of their funding through taxes (or those which want to maximize their revenue) have the least restrictive codes. The ridiculously expensive and ultra-exclusive private clubs have the most restrictive codes. Everything else falls in between.

Why is the belt included in a dress code? I really don't get that at all. Is a belt required? Is a certain color or width specified? I might be in trouble since I have one belt to my name. Do they discriminate against suspenders? After all, braces are a more "traditional" method of holding up ones trousers than a belt is.

Baseball, football, volleyball, tennis, hockey, basketball, running, bowling, and about 100 more have dress codes/uniforms. It's part of the game, part of the culture. I like it.

Yea but unless you are competing in any of these, there is no dress code. Some of them obviously require some things to be worn like pads and cleats for instance, but I don't need a collard shirt to play golf.

So if it's a casual game, no i don't think there should be a dress code.

There always were, are now, and will be people who don't and do act, behave, or socialize in a respectful manor regardless of how any of them dress. One can not be judged on appearance alone. However and generally speaking in most areas where most people are accustomed to carrying both types of wardrobes, when a certain dress code is followed for a given situation it does reflect a certain desired or maintained and created atmosphere and/or environment vs the more dressed down situation.

A casual restaurant where people are in jeans and T-shirts vs a more formal one where people are in slacks and dress shirts carry's or creates a different atmosphere and environment.
Go to any event, social gathering, or whatever where people are dressed down vs one where people are dressed up and it carry's or creates a different atmosphere and environment.
Usually that different atmosphere and environment that is carried or created is one in which in general people are suppose to be on their better behavior as for expecting to act a bit more respectful and display a bit better etiquette's and common courtesy's.

There is a reason that people dress up, not down at tons of things things like weddings, certain social events, certain restaurants, the office, many jobs that deal with the public, funerals, etc, etc, etc.... In general that reason is because it creates and maintains a desired atmosphere and environment where people are suppose to be on their better behaviors, act more respectful , display more common courtesy's, etc, etc...

So the way I see it, is that many Golf courses (just like those other given scenarios) want to maintain that desired atmosphere . Hence part of the reason for the term "a gentleman's game".
Much like in the more formal dinning establishment where a gentleman doesn't wear a hat, wears slacks, and acts accordingly on his better behavior and displaying proper etiquettes. That is imo the same idea or goal.

We can always pick out individuals or groups of people and always make exceptions and also say its not right to judge. I dont think its judging but I believe in general the more casual we are dressed, the more casual we tend to act. People in general may feel they can and do indeed often act differently. They act a certain way and express certain freedoms and perhaps display less than their better behaviors and etiquettes when lets say (for two extremes) walking around with no shirt vs walking around with a suit on. The whole thing is imo just part of social human nature.

So with that said, I can understand why some courses want to enforce dress codes. Its the same reason why they have them in the above examples as well as a million other things. From the two extremes of being half naked up to wearing a suit and any level of attire in between I do feel generally speaking public freedoms of behavior do sort of drop up and down accordingly to some degree. The golf course which demands a dress code desires a certain atmosphere where people are on their better behaviors. And enforcing a dress code is a way for letting us know that this is the kind of atmosphere they desire while on their golf course.

I'm not really for or against very strict course dress codes but I did mention I feel just a collared shirt is imo acceptable and should imo maintain enough of the atmosphere I speak of. But that's just me. But if some places want only certain types of pants, shorts, shirts and done in a certain way while I may think its a bit much I do understand why they want it that way.

Last edited:
Actually this isn't true. There is nothing in the rules that says how a person should dress to play the game. It may be course policy, but it isn't a golf policy. That is strictly a choice made by the course or club, and depends on how restrictive they want to be with their customer base. Most courses which receive some of their funding through taxes (or those which want to maximize their revenue) have the least restrictive codes. The ridiculously expensive and ultra-exclusive private clubs have the most restrictive codes. Everything else falls in between.

Why is the belt included in a dress code? I really don't get that at all. Is a belt required? Is a certain color or width specified? I might be in trouble since I have one belt to my name. Do they discriminate against suspenders? After all, braces are a more "traditional" method of holding up ones trousers than a belt is.

:popcorn:

I don't know how many of you have visited the UK to play golf, but if you do, don't expect to get on any courses wearing jeans and t-shirt as it won't happen. I can't think of any course I have played that will allow anything other than collared/polo shirts, trousers or tailored shorts and golf shoes

There are a few I have played that do not allow headwear in the clubhouse, but a lot of them don't have an issue with that, and if they do, there is usually a sign at the entrance that tells you or the staff will politely ask you to remove it

The only time I wear jeans to the course is if I am planning on hitting balls at the range, I would never think of wearing them to play a round

Do Dress Codes bother you?

I will start by when I'm at home I love the whole golf clothes get up. As I have more golf slacks/ polos than a man really needs. I find that to be part of the fun in golf is looking the part.

Now I state again I hate dress codes and have left a golf course when they said they required a collared shirt even when having one in the car. If my $50+ isn't good enough for you in a tshirt/work shirt than I suppose it's not good enough for you in a collared shirt.

I feel that everyone that thinks a dress code should be required everywhere truly does care about growing the game of golf. And you can argue it all you want, but it's the truth. Some of my favorite rounds are with people in jeans and work boots.

So you guys can sit there on your elitist chair and watch the game die all because you're glad "they kept the rif-raf away that wanted to wear jeans and tshirt"

I don't like collared shirts, and I don't like slacks, so no, I don't care for dress codes any more than I care for HOAs telling me what color my house is allowed to be, but I keep a golf shirt and nice shorts in the car anyhow...

Course rules are just as or more important than any other rule. This goes with dress code, care for the course, time to play, etc. You have been very vocal about your own course rules being great as far as pace of play, this is no different. Rules are in fact rules.

If a cours says where a diaper and a t-shirt or thongs only. Its their prerogative. Some are of the belief that just like every other sport, when playing organized, dress code should be there.

I feel that everyone that thinks a dress code should be required everywhere truly does care about growing the game of golf. And you can argue it all you want, but it's the truth. Some of my favorite rounds are with people in jeans and work boots.

So you guys can sit there on your elitist chair and watch the game die all because you're glad "they kept the rif-raf away that wanted to wear jeans and tshirt"

No offense, but this is laughable. I have the same feeling about playing basketball on the gym floor with non-basketball shoes. Nobody wants the game to grow more than I do, but I also feel dress codes have their place.

If I put children in little league or soccer or basketball, tennis or anything else, the first thing they learn and receive is their uniform. If I dont like said unform, I dont say "Its okay lil Jimmy, you play in jeans".

I spend all day wearing a uniform. Uniforms are how most things function. Boardrooms, battlefields, lawn care, the basketball court, they all have uniforms. They're what's best suited for the environment. Note that's not necessarily the most comfortable. It's simply the best suited. Courses determine what's best stored for their environment. Don't like it, well, you volunteered to play golf there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back