Golf sure is a funny game.

WPoz

Reaction score
How does one go from shooting a really good round while being in control of your ball one day to feeling like you have no idea what you are doing the next and spraying the ball everywhere less than a week later? What does everyone do reset and get back to hitting the ball like they know they can?

I wish I knew the answer!

Talk to my instructor. It always works because it's always something stupid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been playing pretty hot or cold this summer and the reason escapes me. Some days I just don't have it and some days I play beyond my abilities.

When my game really goes to complete utter crap I like to take a full 6 days off without even gripping a club and then go play a round (NO RANGE).

How does one go from shooting a really good round while being in control of your ball one day to feeling like you have no idea what you are doing the next and spraying the ball everywhere less than a week later? What does everyone do reset and get back to hitting the ball like they know they can?

Happened to me just like that the other day. 2 rounds ago I posted a 77, and felt like I was on fire. Last round, I sprayed everything straight right and shanked 5 balls! Barely broke 90... it was frustrating to say the least.

Golf is hard. Nothing more to it. Not need to overthink it.

I was playing better than ever earlier this month but the last 18 holes I completely lost my swing. Funny wasn't how I described it.

I went back and looked at video feedback from older lessons and worked on a few drills and the last range session was much better, but still a little off. Getting back to basics usually helps: grip, alignment and posture.

Ha I've had that the past two weekends! Actually been my putting that is getting me. My swing was off a bit - might be going back to the old irons, but I figured it our post round so something to work on this week. Need to get the game traveling.

For me Time away can help refresh the mental game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or from one day to the next. That's why we are amateurs!

Or from one day to the next. That's why we are amateurs!
This exactly .. Had several days like that this year, on consecutive days played. For me I think it is because I try to hard instead of just relaxing and letting the game come to me.

Ha ha. I shot 82 on Thursday and putted like Spieth. Shot 90 today with 7 3 puts and a 4 put.

This has been theatric of my game lately. Play good for a round then struggle. Sometimes play a good few holes then lose it.

Less than a week later? How about day-to-day? Welcome to my world! :devil:

Some days my ball striking is great. Other days I look like I am hacking at a snake with a hoe and ball flights look like a monkey with a machine gun

I'm starting to think part of my problems are health related. I've been having lower back and left leg issues as of late. When I shot the 74 a week ago it didn't really bother me during the round. Today I go out to hit balls and never even got through half a bucket before it started hurting. I need to get this fixed and figured out.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Golf is hard. After breaking 90 the first time about a month ago I have endured about 2-3 weeks of crappy playing. This last week I played decent on Monday and then proceeded to have 3 awful range sessions. Confidence got super low,So then I go out today and shoot my best round ever. How does that work? The day before my range session was so bad I couldn't get an iron shot to get in the air consistently and was shooting hosel rockets.

ha less than a week away, how about shooting 46/47 then 42/43 then 51/42 the day after shooting 39/46/47, we are amateurs there are gonna be ebbs and flows in our games unless your spending lots of time taking lessons and practicing with a purpose. i know I have a few swing flaws that create my inconsistency and when I am smart enough to pick up on it then I can fix it but that doesn't mean I always pick up soon enough. Tempo is huge for me and if I catch that then things turn around, i also over swing my woods when I catch it the game becomes a different game.

Another problem is that after shooting a round where everything seems to fall in place and you shoot a great score you now raise your expectations and think you should shoot that score or better every time out. I think that puts more pressure on yourself which doesn't help. The Pros even have wild swings in their scores. They may be capable of shooting a 64 and just as likely a 73 (Vegas had those scores and won the Canadian Open!) or higher. Wheatcroft had scores of 64 and 77 in the same tournament. Our scores can vary by just as many strokes but at a higher level, 84 one day and 97 the next.

It's just the nature of the game! So many variables (especially us) make it difficult to be consistent. Even the pros are only consistent to a point!!

I know I can put a consistent swing on my ball for weeks on end and have done so in the past. I think this week I will just not hit balls at all and maybe just work on putting to try and reset. Maybe it will help with the health issues as well.

Golf is hard. After breaking 90 the first time about a month ago I have endured about 2-3 weeks of crappy playing. This last week I played decent on Monday and then proceeded to have 3 awful range sessions. Confidence got super low,So then I go out today and shoot my best round ever. How does that work? The day before my range session was so bad I couldn't get an iron shot to get in the air consistently and was shooting hosel rockets.

Saturday, i sh@nked a bucket and half. Sunday, 99% great shots. Same range, same clubs, same indian and same arrows.

Saturday, i sh@nked a bucket and half. Sunday, 99% great shots. Same range, same clubs, same indian and same arrows.

I had to basically be talked into go golf on Sunday because my previous 3 range sessions had been so terrible. Out on the course it was completely fine. Such a weird sport. Haha

I've had days where at the range before the round is hosel rockets and topping the ball and then get out on the course and pure it. I've also had the opposite where I warm up great and then can't hit a shot for the life of me on the course. Trying to figure out how to reset before, after or even during a round is the key for me, just not sure how to do it yet.

Golf is day to day for everyone, even the world class player's go low one day and over par the next.

Back