Regional Rivalry Is Coming To THP

Sadly, I play with retirees, mostly. The internet is a bit newfangled for a lot of them.

Nothing against the old coots.

I am retired, play 180 times a year and invented the Internet along with Al Gore. Just ask Brian Williams, he was there.

Here's the thing with handicaps.....they are great to have in a friendly game or on the club level. But what I've witnessed personally from more than not, is guys try to pump up their handicaps right before a big event to make sure they have a shot at winning. It was rare for me to run across someone that was trying to lose strokes off their index. So practice wasn't a priority. Getting better wasn't a priority. Sacrificing wasn't a priority. It was just odd for me to see this type of behavior.
My biggest goal with this game is to get better. I love to have fun playing golf, but I strive to get better. I want my index to get as low as I can get it. Would never pump up my index to give myself a chance at winning any event. I am very competitive so to me I would feel like I cheated myself knowing that I won because I inflated my index on purpose

Here's the thing with handicaps.....they are great to have in a friendly game or on the club level. But what I've witnessed personally from more than not, is guys try to pump up their handicaps right before a big event to make sure they have a shot at winning. It was rare for me to run across someone that was trying to lose strokes off their index. So practice wasn't a priority. Getting better wasn't a priority. Sacrificing wasn't a priority. It was just odd for me to see this type of behavior.
I agree with you there Nate. Handicap is great to keeping you and everyone know how your doing. But when it comes to a THP event on a Sunday afternoon you can throw that out the window. Anything can happen and we have seen that before.

#RegionalRivalry will be a handicapped event (as it should be)

With a twist.

With a twist.

More knowledge dropped. Little bit at a time. Like dangling a piece of cheesecake in front of coers

Twists are good

I like what I'm hearing...

Yeah I like the sounds of this.

Keep the hints coming.

So by trying to get better before an outing, I'm doing it wrong?

All kidding aside, it saddens me to hear this. I want to win as much as anyone, but do it legit.

My biggest goal with this game is to get better. I love to have fun playing golf, but I strive to get better. I want my index to get as low as I can get it. Would never pump up my index to give myself a chance at winning any event. I am very competitive so to me I would feel like I cheated myself knowing that I won because I inflated my index on purpose

I hope I didn't come off as implying you were that type...don't know you but I'm sure your word is good around here and with me. Just speaking from experience, for example the last and final Morgan Cup back in July; there were some mid handicappers that played like low handicappers......and there were mid handicappers that played like high handicappers. You could tell who put in the work and who didn't. It was awesome to see guys perform at their very best.

With a twist.
That settles that.
And love twists...
f3e86c2e9996b382b15fa08f9ac48b62.jpg

I hope I didn't come off as implying you were that type...don't know you but I'm sure your word is good around here and with me. Just speaking from experience, for example the last and final Morgan Cup back in July; there were some mid handicappers that played like low handicappers......and there were mid handicappers that played like high handicappers. You could tell who put in the work and who didn't. It was awesome to see guys perform at their very best.
No you didn't come off like that at all. As a newer guy (first event was this year) just was confirming that no one would ever have to worry about that with me. I have seen people the same way. Love this game way to much to cheat myself like that.

And there ya go.......,..end of debate.
True dat... Well I guess we all better dig our A games out of the closet then.

I can go either way with using handicaps or not. If Im playing someone within a few strokes I have no problem playing straight up but it wouldnt be fair if it were me vs a 1 hcp or me vs a 30hcp. As for people inflating their hcps to win..well thats cheating and falls on them. Id like to think in a THP event we wouldnt have to worry about it.

True dat... Well I guess we all better dig our A games out of the closet then.

Got to be picked first....so the rumor goes!!

But your right....we should all be working towards that A game!

Wow just got caught up on all this, quite a fun read. Though I do notice Michigan gets no love.

Got to be picked first....so the rumor goes!!

But your right....we should all be working towards that A game!
As a former boy scout and a Eagle Scout, You Gotta be Prepared!!!

I can go either way with using handicaps or not. If Im playing someone within a few strokes I have no problem playing straight up but it wouldnt be fair if it were me vs a 1 hcp or me vs a 30hcp. As for people inflating their hcps to win..well thats cheating and falls on them. Id like to think in a THP event we wouldnt have to worry about it.

I think we can safely believe this on THP. At my club, however, it is another story. I refuse to play in any events there with handicap involved. People like me that post honest scores stand absolutely no chance (unless I were to shoot about 65 gross) in their events.

Handicap schmandicap. I think you have to play each hole mentally to win straight up. If you start thinking about who's getting a stroke here, who's giving a stroke there, I think you start finding ways to lose holes.

Back