10th Annual Heads Up! Outing for Cancer Research

links_slayer

Reaction score
Handicap
On Monday, my buddies and I participated in the 10th annual Heads Up! golf outing to benefit the Head and Neck Cancer Research Fund at UW Carbone Cancer Center. This event is near and dear to me since I was diagnosed in 2013. I was too slow to sign us up in 2014 (it fills up VERY quickly) but we played for the past two years and have had an absolute blast each time - despite finishing in solo 2nd place each time. Our team shirts were quite the hit and the event organizers wanted to give us a few extra strokes for our coordination LOL

They raised right around $25,000 this year putting the total for the 10 years at over $250,000.

About a month ago, my surgeon and radiation oncologist called me to ask if I would be willing to be one of the speakers at the recognition/celebration program following dinner. I was humbled and honored to say the least. To be able to stand in front of a crowd of 200 (w/ at least a few dozen fellow survivors and their families) was overwhelmingly emotional. But I made it through, breaking down only once :) UW men's basketball coach Greg Gard also gave a brief talk - he lost his dad to brain cancer last year. I had the opportunity to meet him and talk with him for a bit and he is a tremendous guy.

Anyway, here a few pics from the event. My father-in-law followed us around for a couple holes and got some nice pics on the course and after dinner.

Thanks for looking!

ulD9aDp.jpg

sxcMOpN.jpg

30jrJm4.jpg

swOyVB2.jpg

PoSMZsW.jpg

plxUafu.jpg

TGhiULq.jpg

XTbWUGu.jpg

Great cause and looks like a good time as well!

Nice job for a good cause.

Back